Thoughts for a New Guild PST Raiding

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nebulism, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Nebulism Lorekeeper

All,

I've been following our beloved game for awhile (playing on an off for the past several decades). Lately, I've been wanting to raid again and note that all live raiding guilds are time zone skewed toward EST. In fact, there is very little night time PST raiding available (to the best of my knowledge).

Thus I propose that I will make a guild with the following parameters:
    9PM PST raid time start Sunday,M,T,W (not necessarily all of these days, just a ballpark)
    Raid times will go for a 3 hour window with a formup around 20 minutes before
    Raids will initially target easier content (an expansion or two in the past)
    Guild will be on live, probably FV (due to ease in building characters with the trading there). I believe FV also has a decent population to pull from.

For now this is hypothetical, but I wanted to see interest/get opinions as I begin making the commitment to level on FV. This will also be the first guild that I've ever lead, so looking for opinions on that too. I've been gaming for a long time though and irl have managed people/projects through work (so I understand that angle reasonably well). I've also been in many guilds from large to small, social/casual to hardcore raid (other games).

Also, for a starting guild do you guys think it would best for me to have a main Warrior, or a main Enchanter? I presume having a main tank always available will make life better, but tanks may also be pretty common due to the boxing environment of the current game.

Cheers,
    Neb
    Sprooce likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

9PM-Midnight seems like a late raid schedule for a lot of people. Seems like you would want to aim for an earlier end time.
    Coagagin and Elyssanda like this.
  3. Nebulism Lorekeeper

Thanks for the comment! I'm purposefully targeting this raid time to support the night owls/west coast folks. In my case, this is the time that I would be able to sequester to myself as the kids are in bed so to speak. I figure there are others out there that would one day like to raid at a later time.

Cheers
  4. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

5-8pm PST (basically every raid team in EQ) is an early raid schedule for a lot of people. For many years I was cut out of raiding because of the most common schedule. It's exhausting.
    Used to raid 9pm-2am PST (Sacred Fyre). We rarely went beyond midnight though.
  5. Madryn New Member

It sounds good, currently there seems to be no option for live if you are pst. I am probably not the only one who is interested.
  6. Anastasis Elder

The last guild that raid that time slot on Live server was on EMarr, it is very hard to recruit for that time. NCM raided on Fri, Sat, and Mon 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m., and had finally stop raiding at the mid-TBL time frame. FV also used to have a PST guild, not sure what happened to it. If you going to start a raid guild, a Warrior is a good starting point.
    Szilent likes this.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Still seems like there is a lot of room to compromise between raiding from 5-8PM and 9-midnight.
    Personally I think starting at 8PM (better) or 7PM (best) would be helpful as you are not finishing up so late for your target audience.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  8. Nebulism Lorekeeper

All great points everyone and thanks for the discussion.

The time is late primarily due to the dynamics of my family life, aka young kids are up, and I would have an unhappy spouse if I were to miss dinner in order to raid. Thus the audience I'm targeting (for the most part) are folks that need to start later due to reasons like this (or if they work late, etc). Looking forward to seeing how well it turns out a few months from now!

As for the warrior versus enchanter, I'll go warrior to ensure that there is a tank to work off of for the future raids/groups/events.
    Coagagin likes this.
  9. Sprooce Lorekeeper

I'm a PSTer hoping to raid in the evenings this fall/winter, the 7pm to midnight range is perfect for me too.. hope it all goes your way!
  10. Nebulism Lorekeeper

Hypersomnia on FV is now a reality! Thanks for all the comments everyone, and if anyone is interested, please send a PM or message in game (send to Nebulism). I'll get a future post going in the recruitment forum after I get a few levels with my new box setup.

Cheers
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you want to recruit you should use the guild recruitment section of the forums.