Shorten the 70 xpacs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by The Silver Smurfer, Aug 5, 2021.

1. The Silver Smurfer New Member

Omens, DoN, DoHD are three of my favorite xpacs and I want plenty of time to play them but for the love of god 9 months of lvl 70 content is to much and PoR is kinda terrible and ruined a lot of good classic zones, rip freeport.
    Gotta be some way to help guilds get past this guild killer of 3/4 of a year. I really want to see this content and beyond but this is just to long of a stretch to keep a healthy population all under the heading of lvl 70 content. For future reference LDON like LoY should not be a stand alone <and I like LDON was 3rd to finish my aug>. It should be released with pop maybe a month in so even the casuals can finish flagging. DoN should drop with Omens again maybe a month in, PoR should be like 1 week or maybe just a weekend it serves no real purpose as its group content and raid content are sub par. Get us into TSS which has some good group and raid content.
    I know I have not laid out perfect solutions here but I'm sure some better minds than mine have some good Ideas on how to compact this way to long of stretch of lvl 70 content.
    Xanathol, Loki4567, Boze and 2 others like this.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Just like PoP and LoY the 70 stretch needs to be bundled into 2 groupings. OOW+DoN and DoDH+PoR.

Neither DoN or PoR have enough content for modern TLP servers to stand on their own but propped up by the progression of Anguish and Demiplane there's enough there to keep people occupied and happy for 3 month stretches.
    Yohan, Loki4567, Karreck and 6 others like this.
  3. The Silver Smurfer New Member

100% listen to the frog lizard
    Loki4567 likes this.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Any expac after Luclin that has 0 level increase AND 0 AA should just open with the expac prior to it. Tough to stay motivated when you have literally nothing to do except raid twice a week.
    Loki4567 and Bobbybick like this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

I also agree with Bobby.
  6. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

9 months isn't enough! PoR locked server please jchan.
  7. theonepercent Augur

Hard disagree with the those groupings. OOW and DoDH are the good expansions in that bunch, grouping them with later expansions with better gear (however small an upgrade) would be a mistake. OOW is fine as a standalone expansion, group DoN with DoDH then put PoR with whatever expansion comes next so it's completely skippable.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

That'd be TSS which has a lvl increase and a ton of good raid content. Besides circle clickies it would make PoR completely skippable.
  9. Triconix Augur

Don't see any reason to combine expansions. Just shorten the time period. Having both DON and POR something like four weeks each while keeping OOW as twelve and DoDH as eight. Brings the 70s era from nine months to seven months. A little over half a year for four expansions. Even though there isn't a level increase, there is plenty to do in those four expansions to make it last seven months.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Rather than bundling OoW with DoN and DoDH with PoR I would prefer to have it as follows myself.

Omens - 8 weeks
    DoN - 4 weeks
    DoDh - 8 weeks
    PoR - 4 weeks

While Omens could very easily be 12 I think you will find most guilds are STILL running OoW all the way through from it opening to TSS unlocking anyway so it being chopped to 8 won't really hurt much as Alts should be all you are going back to Anguish for by that last month anyway.
    Triconix and Bobbybick like this.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Is this the new "no lev in PoF"?
    Skuz and Iyacc like this.
  12. ForumBoss Augur

Oow and don only really have 90 min of raid content per week each. One more evening if you think doing mpg trials is worth it. For that reason, I agree with releasing don with oow - a lot of the loot is worse than omens except vish too.
  13. Machen New Member

PoR should be grouped with TSS, not DODH. DPoB deserves time as the end game zone far more than Deathknell does. Omens still gets its time in the sun with DoN bundled. If PoR releases with TSS, people will still come back for PoR because of the circle clicks if nothing else.
  14. Zipe The Healer

Sometimes I feel that I am the only being that have enjoyed PoR.

Not only the zones and the Group Progression is awesome, also you have the stupid augment quest to farm.

, you could even farm the Group Instanced Missions for aug drops. Was it Skylance missions?

Theater of Blood is the dammn last OW Raid zone that I can remember EQ had. Relic, Sevarg and Eddar are Raid OW too but ToB was an actual scary raid-only-zone that reminded me of the old days in Plane of Fear or Plane of Hate.

Devastation was badass and Razorthorn raids were fun and challenging. Also, Razorthorn raid instance you could farm with 1-2 groups for augs.

Daoshen needed some brains to beat.

Oh, and the stupid Black aug wasn't the only Quest aug. you also got the Chalice of Life from Tunare's Shrine. That reminds me of Eddar forest, it got 2 group bosses that were badass to do as pickup groups.

Also... Tradeskill Trophies were added.

And Deathknell raid was great. Yeah, it sucked to have that time-lock on clicks on Ayonae but the event was still challenging for the offtanks.

It is an awesome expansion. But ppl hate it because of Freeport and because they get lost in the Relic everytime they zone in (before zoning into the Relic they created a corpsepile trying to go across Arcstone into Relic).
  15. FranktheBank Augur

16. FranktheBank Augur

The first two events are also fixed time event. Literally 3 of the 4 events cannot be sped up.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  17. Boze TLP complaint factory

The raiding in PoR is really good, and there's a ton of raid content, the problem is the lack of worthwhile group content. At that point in a TLP server, *most* of the population is raiding regularly and the limited group content offers no valuable upgrades. The Black Orb of the Scrykin is pretty weak as a "big expansion quest", as it doesn't even break the top 50 of AC/HP augs available in that era if you search Type 8s on raidloot, and it lacks heroics. I'd argue the only "group" content worth working through *might* be the chase Circle of ___ I items in relic and elddar, and a couple other niche augs (think there was an hdex aug or two I farmed).

Tradeskill trophies take all of 5 minutes for anyone who's serious about tradeskilling, and anyone else isn't going to touch them.

The expansion feels like it was designed to fill-in gaps with other 70s expansions; I think the near total lack of weapons in the upper tier raids is decent evidence of this. I honestly enjoyed PoR on Phinny, but it feels like it's best as a complement to the other 70s expansions rather than something to experience as its own era.

Release DoN with OoW, and release PoR with DoDH.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think we are on the same page on this, it's why I suggested it going down to 8 weeks.
    Loki4567 likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

There is an abundance of stupid things in PoR, unfortunately. Devestation is a disaster as a zone (some of you call it fun), having to knock down a wall to zone into Sverag, Arcstone has KoS mobs at the quest guys, Saga Skins, etc. etc. The destructible wall was novel the first time but after that it was just dumb. Maybe I'll try it again this time around. Usually, though, PoR is a good time to take a month-long break.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think the aggravating style of the Deathknell raids, the drunk effect /time gating / random deaths moving to Ayonae / avoiding the "bomb room" death drops a lot of people probably did not enjoy a lot.

Ayonae Ro was bad enough that by itself it made that expansion one you wanted to never re-visit.

The problem I had with it was that the whole thing felt so disjointed, it really didn't convey a strong cohesive story through it's events and focused on a lot of features and systems that overall didn't really mesh together, it seemed really patchy and haphazard overall.

Best thing about PoR was....it had some cool clickies, and Auras.

I do agree about Theater of Blood though, I enjoyed all but 1 of the raids there - Gnarlibramble itself was okay, but the clear to it sucked so bad as a melee, spent so much time unable to hit stuff that was able to hit you from the constant rooting those mobs did.

Devastation would have been ok if not for the stupid long duration stun all the Bolvirk did, more than one of those was almost a guaranteed wipe.
    Accipiter likes this.