The Elephant in the room

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razorfall Augur

I am baffled at how maps be considered cheating to begin with. Now the way they get the information for the maps...who knows?

For me it is this: Does it capture data from the game itself (i.e. not from a file output by the game)? Does it inject code into the game? If yes to any of those then yes then you shouldn't use it.

For me I would include that program that shows where all the mobs are on the map as well (can't remember what it's called, but it's not that automation software). Magelo sync unfortunately falls into this category, but they seem to let that one slide.

At the end of the day, it's basically whatever Daybreak/Darkpaw feels like enforcing. They purposefully wrote the EULA/TOS to encompass all third party software so they could enforce it against whatever they want.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. strongbus Augur

are you talking bout showing where all mobs as they walk round or where the names and other npcs spawn/are?

the one that show the mobs as they move round is the M Q, showing where the npcs and names spawn with nothing moving is just people making maps and putting their locks down.

and to my info all magelo sync dose is grab your gear/aa/stats to put on their site it don't do more then that.
  3. Razorfall Augur

WoW recently banned it, so it's never out of the question.

HOWEVER

It doesn't mean you can't spend $200 per extra toon on mini PCs and another $200 for hardware and truebox.

Now if they start enforcing truebox code on all servers, then I will probably have to quit. The truebox code sees all my computers' input coming from the same source so it kicks me immediately even though I am legitimately trueboxing.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Angahran Augur

ROFLMAO!
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

The comments about maps have come from admitted cheaters wildly trying to justify their actions. Drag everyone into the muck with them and all of that. It's a typical straw man argument.

SOE provided the map making tool and DPG has retained it. It actually is kind of fun to make maps and not really too difficult once you get the hang of it. Not sure how many folks have ever tried though. Real easy to add labels.
  6. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I wondered why my bazaar sales have been down the past few weeks.
  7. Triconix Augur

You should be banned just for having people read your comments and wasting everyone's time.

I guess I just imagine all the triggers I made. I somehow developed amnesia and all my personal triggers were actually made by the top secret troll society and handed down to me.

On a serious note: If people truly cannot grasp the differences between something like M Q and a built-in-game feature such as map making or a .txt log parser, they seriously should just refrain from posting at all. You're not worth the time nor effort to read your posts.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Chaoslayer Journeyman

This was just a talk on 3rd party software and at no point did I compare Gina to M Q or maps. I would guess comparing it to something as small as maps (not 3rd party software) is just a deflection. Sure 1 person per server is an exaggeration. The big guilds most likely have someone who makes and shares all of their triggers. So 3 to 6 people per server depending on the number of guilds. Everyone else seems to have this I did it the hard way and so should they mentality. So I don't really see how I stand out for thinking automating triggers is lame. I am just one random dude with an opinion. You don't have to become hostile about it. You could just say you disagree and move on.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Guilds can also do this with the in game audio triggers it is just more complicated of a process. There is nothing wrong with a few people making audio triggers for many people as that ensure they actually work. So much pain from people making their own triggers and having typos which is why guilds share them out.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

M Q might do that, I don't know. Most people think of ShowEQ of the app that let's people see what's in the zone.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I have the same problem. There is a very small percentage of people who have this problem. The people that don't have this problem think we are mad. ;)
  12. Triconix Augur

Pretty sure M Q has a feature built-in that's either ShowEQ or a flavor of it. While ShowEQ is frowned upon, it's not heavily enforced and it's quite evident on TLP servers when you see single warriors (and other non track classes) bee lining it to specific nameds/quest npcs, FD non track chars sitting at zone lines 24/7, etc. However, a person installing M Q solely to leverage this one particular feature should realize the plethora of other abilities that come with M Q, use some common sense, and just download ShowEQ as a standalone app.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I thought it must but don't have any direct experience.
  14. Triconix Augur

Neither do I. I'm just going off what people have told me about it. I'm sure I could find a definitive answer if I just browsed the sites.
  15. Szilent Augur

Or not do that, since that's very much cheating also.
  16. Filter Augur

No, I was referring to using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] for autofollow feature.
  17. Tappin Augur

What I don’t understand is why people try to justify cheating because they use the programs. Most probably haven’t even read the EULA. If you are doing something that is advantageous over the default setup (and not provided by DP), then by definition it’s cheating and quite possibly a violation of the EULA.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I expect to see a sudden spike in false flag/reverse psychology in the following pages as people double down on maps = M Q line of attack.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. demi Augur

do you use a custom UI ? Custom UI's are not provided by DP, therefore if you use one your cheating.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I did not have to wait long for reverse psychology. (I expect false flags in a bit).

You cannot equivocate approved and benign UIs and maps with software that grants an advantage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.