ability to transfer characters from one account to another

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by yenwangweh, Aug 1, 2021.

1. yenwangweh New Member

As characters on accounts level, was looking to transfer one monk to another account. Was informed that daybreak doesn't do transfers across accounts any more. Are other people interested in being able to do this? If so, please take a minute to reply and maybe we can get daybreak to start doing this again.
    Froglok and Mesil like this.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If you search the forums, you will see literally no one wants this.
  3. bobbin Elder

If you search the forums you will see that LOTS and LOTS of people want this
  4. demi Augur

and the dev's or think it was holly or Jchan that stated they will never come back .. mainly cause I don't think they know how to code for it to fix the issue ..
    Coagagin likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

it was sarcasm. as many people want this as the same amount of people wish others would do a search first and look this up. ;)
    Winnowyl and Elyssanda like this.
  6. demi Augur

usually one does <sarcasm> <sarcasm/> <sarcasm> so peeps know when your using sarcasm<sarcasm/> ;)
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. yenwangweh New Member

I actually was a GM when it was SOE ( also worked SWG ) and it was never an issue at that time for them/us to transfer...would get about two to three requests a week. So not sure why they would not be able to do it now.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There are a couple suppositions as to why it broke which you can find if you search thru the posts about this subject.

One that is not supposition is the fact that JChan stated in an interview with Loving Robot that they would not be bringing it back

You can also find that interview online.
    Stymie, Winnowyl and demi like this.
  9. demi Augur

I knew I saw a post (interview) about it just couldnt remember if it was holly or Jchan .. thx ..

also I believe DBG/DP makes more money from people buying new accounts than they would IF they could bring back A2A transfers.. between heroics, expansions, micro trans , krono etc..
  10. yenwangweh New Member

Bummer...well, got to raise someone else to roll with my monk. Thanks for all the info guys.
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

My guess is it's not for strictly technical reasons.

Making sure the same person owns the account requires exposing billing/IP address/e-mail/other personal information. And they have been really working to keep that separate and secure (like removing the remaining account time from the in-game UI)

They absolutely do not want another payment info leak and have to shutdown for a month again. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/02/sony.hack/index.html

I have to say tho, I really want to transfer some characters around, and would pay an unreasonable amount for at least the two most important ones.
    Waring_McMarrin and yenwangweh like this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

It would if they actually did it. I bought an account from a guildie for 400pp in 2002 or thereabouts. I transferred a character from that account. I also was given an account by another guildie. I've transferred to that account. In both cases nothing would have matched me as the original owner but the transfers went through nonetheless.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I would never admit to buying or being given accounts, even that many years ago. :D And hope you have since aligned all the info to reflect yours.

Here is some food for thought:

Say my account is a lifetime and I want to transfer off 5 of my gazillion characters. Who gets the lifetime? My choice? What if I change my mind?
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

If they want to make an issue over something done at the turn of the century then I'll take that as my sign to leave EQ for good.
    Stymie likes this.
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Back when Veteran rewards were account based, I transferred characters with the understanding that they would lose all rewards from the old account, and be tied to the rewards available on the newer account.
    I would think that a lifetime sub is the same, if you move a character off of an account with lifetime sub, to an account without, you know you are doing that, and would know that that character will lose the lifetime sub.
    Stymie likes this.
  16. cadres Augur

The point is that many folk (including me) would start a new, paid for, account, to hive off toons built up over 20 years that are not able to be used to their best - eg I cannot play my enc with my sk as they are on the same acc. I could start a new SK, ofc, but the thought of beginning again with 20 years of achievements etc does not fill my soul with joy.

Some people would pay a *lot* of money to be able to do this (not me personally).
    Some would pay less
    Some would start new/additional accounts rather than just shuffle around.
    Personally, I think there's a mine of untapped income for DBG here

Yes, there are security issues, but if someone's paying $500 to shift a toon, that covers the necessary level of person-hours/seniority to be able to do that properly
  17. yenwangweh New Member

cadres said "The point is that many folk (including me) would start a new, paid for, account, to hive off toons built up over 20 years that are not able to be used to their best - eg I cannot play my enc with my sk as they are on the same acc. I could start a new SK, ofc, but the thought of beginning again with 20 years of achievements etc does not fill my soul with joy.

Some people would pay a *lot* of money to be able to do this (not me personally).
    Some would pay less
    Some would start new/additional accounts rather than just shuffle around.
    Personally, I think there's a mine of untapped income for DBG here

Yes, there are security issues, but if someone's paying $500 to shift a toon, that covers the necessary level of person-hours/seniority to be able to do that properly"

yes to this
    Coagagin likes this.
  18. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

You should ask him to show how the math works out before you yes to anything. Unless either of you can prove the RoI @ 500$ per transaction, your just making up nonsense on the internet.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Last time I knew it was possible was around 2015, came back from like a 7 year hiatus & had a couple toons moved.

From what I gather it was an entirely manual process and the person who would do that was made redundant in one of the multiple rounds of layoffs so they pretty much lost the person who actually knew how that worked properly and since re-establishing the processes for that and automating it would be a ton of work they opted to not bother.

With the Heroic Upgrade system its mostly redundant anyway imho.
    Stymie likes this.
  20. cadres Augur

Re the costings, I cannot believe that it would take someone whose gross cost to the company is $50 per hour more than 10 hours to transfer one toon, even given all the due diligence in the world. If I'm wrong, then charge more. Or tell us that it cannot be done for some tech reason at any price.

It might be in some instances. If you just want a whatever class to box, then yes
    But if you are attached to a toon you've built over 20 years, attached to the name, 20 years of clickies, raids, achievements, maxed everything etc, that's not replaceable with a new lvl 85
    yenwangweh likes this.