The Reason Why Some of us Are Frustrated with Daybreak Games

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jul 23, 2021.

1. sadre Augur

Everything since 2010 has been a miscalculation. No more avatars in eq2? Why?

I realized, there is no why. Only that.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It was designed for younger players yes, I am a parent whose kid really enjoyed the game & I played it with them & found it a lot of fun.
    Brontus, code-zero and minimind like this.
  3. Dailor Augur

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

I could not think of a greater waste of time for an engineer than to read eq forums.

And I play eq.
  5. code-zero Augur

I thought that Free Realms design was awesome. Have a game where you have a single character that can take multiple "jobs" with a wide open world where you aren't stuck on a single server. If it were to be where you have a customizable avatar with appearance options for different roles that'd be great too.

Code as a Bard looks different than Code as a Druid. Depends on what I'm doing today
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

A girl Dev has no name....
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Brontus EQ Player Activist

At least once a year, the devs should spend time visibly interacting with players on some kind of video forum like Twitch or YouTube. Blizzard does it with BlizzCon. Zenimax does it for ESO. Country music artists have special get togethers with their fans. Even SOE used to have FanFaires once upon a time. Publicly traded corporations have annual shareholder meetings.

Even from a symbolic point of view, this would helpful to giving EQ fans the feeling that the devs are there for them. It would also humanize the devs. I understand that some devs are introverts, but I think they'd feel a whole lot better doing this.

I think it would be good for devs to see that the players aren't just trolls and wiseguys but are real human beings. To the players that believe that devs should have their nose to the EQ grindstone 24/7, having devs spend 1-2 hours answering questions and being available to the players would not be the end of the world.

I'd gladly start a Gofundme for the devs to be able to hang out with players once every year to compensate them for their time. Just think of all the craft beer that would buy? :)
  8. Machen New Member

I think the devs would probably enjoy a "Fan Faire" and would probably show up. Not so much though for a "This is Why Some of Us Are Frustrated With You Faire".
    Stymie, code-zero and Karreck like this.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I think the devs can speak for themselves. By the way, there would be less "frustration" posts if devs and fans could get together more often.

I remember reading a news article about the Toyota Highlander development team. Every year, a Japanese developer travels to the USA to spend a month with actual Highlander owners. He observes how the typical Highlander is used in daily life and then reports back his findings to Toyota HQ in Japan.

Going to see customers and hearing their concerns is called "genchi genbutsu" in Japanese, which translates in English to "go and see." Using this process Toyota makes many small and almost invisible innovations to their cars each year. Having face to face meetings with customers is not entirely unheard of. A company that was once owned by a Japanese conglomerate Sony might want to consider this. :)
    Skuz, Metanis, Marton and 1 other person like this.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Free Realms was an enchanting masterpiece. Even as an adult, I enjoyed spending time there just to appreciate the design and the artwork. I wish they would have kept it going.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I'm sure surfing on non-gaming related websites on company time is probably a greater waste of time than learning about the experiences of your paying customers.

Question: Do you also include the bug forums as being a waste of time? Or should developers not bother to read those forums too?
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Of course nobody has the right to expect a personal response from a dev. For my part, I don't expect a personal response from a dev and never have. It's a strawman fallacy that one individual on this thread has been promoting for a few days now in order to misrepresent my argument.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would love for EG7 to run a "behind the scenes" documentary with a quality film crew so we could get a peek behind the curtain (after the fact) and see what goes into creating a single expansion for a game like EQ.
    Haven't seen anything like that but I am sure I would find it fascinating and so would many others.
    Stymie and Metanis like this.
  14. Nolrog Augur

Same here.

I also really enjoyed Clone Wars.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Nolrog Augur

A serious one that gave an honest look. Not the one that was done a few years ago that was just one big joke that I couldn't even watch. Forget the guy's name who did it but I really wanted a serious look behind the game.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EverCracked! - The Jace Hall Show
  17. Nolrog Augur

18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I thought it was "okay" but it wasn't what I wanted from a look into the game at all.
    minimind likes this.
  19. Linksfather New Member

quit complaining
  20. Metanis Bad Company

I gotta give the ForumQuest WIN to Absor here. - Dev 1 -- WCBs 0

(W = Whiney)
    Skuz, Karreck and Quik like this.