The Elephant in the room

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demi, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You are a unicorn.

Key broadcasting or automation? Or, I suspect, a bit of both key broadcasting and automation (and semi-AFK behavior).

If botters stayed at the inconsequential gnomish pirates in CoV Western Wastes, they would get some sympathy points. This is not the reality, however. They are at neriad huntresses, wyverns, frosted dracholiches, and efreetis. This reminds me of the "critical mass" of botters at Brother Island during the TDS era and the recent build up in ToV Great Divide. (Daybreak does not want people to train botters and most people do not want their reputation tarnished in a DPS race).
  2. Lorai Lorekeeper

I know you're trying sooooo hard to understand, so here's some additional information that should help, but it probably won't.

1. On a lower population server, opportunities to get a group are fewer than on a high population server.

2. Members of our server are spread across different time zones, from Australia to Maine. This reduces group opportunities among the population even more.

3. Work shifts of players can further narrow their window of grouping opportunity.

4. All guilds have player cliques who progress together step-by-step in every new expansion. Which is ok, but that means unfortunately, there is no opportunity for anyone else to join.

5. Just going /lfg in general, is no guarantee. From content and classes you need, to quality of the group you get, can also limit opportunities.

So yes, some found a solution to all of the above.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Khatt can respond for herself.

But your population argument is a red herring.

What is wrong with playing ALT + TAB and controlling individual characters?

Why risk using software that has the capability to automate, script, warp, or real-time track?
    Skuz and Duder like this.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Your mental gymnastics are amazing, please continue.
    Skuz, Stymie, Velisaris_MS and 2 others like this.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Others have too: Server transferring.

Or, having your server merged with another one.
    Skuz and Duder like this.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

You can stick your condescending attitude up your person somewhere of your own choosing, but I have a suggestion if you're not willing to commit.

I was referring to literally "half of a server"; "100s of people". I will agree that your next four points are valid BUT they are valid across ALL servers* unless you think timezones, work shifts, cliques, and random availability are exclusive to Bertox.
    *Life ends up working this way too, since we have nearly 8 billion people all over the place to contend with:

Of course there are going to be times when people find it difficult to get groups for myriad reasons and they might get frustrated. Maybe they're introduced to cheat progs and willingly decide, "I don't need a group, I'm my own group" and go to town on content using their newly-found pixel-killing compensator.

And rightfully get suspended or banned.
    Boo hoo
    Skuz, Stymie, Duder and 1 other person like this.
  7. Tappin Augur

Khat, get real. Groups don’t exist on live a few months after an expansion has been released and people are done rushing through the content. If you want to find groups, TLP is the better option. If don’t like TLP, good luck to you.
    Windance and Lorai like this.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

Simply wrong.
    I've never played a TLP so no idea what it's like there. (I played those expansions in-era and it'd be like going through kindergarten all over again and I don't know why I'd want to do that)
    Conq and Nennius like this.
  9. Tappin Augur

I’m not wrong. Groups come to a halt by February and fall off a cliff in April. Don’t have the group content done by then, might as well give up.
    Windance, Kaenneth and Lorai like this.
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

You can keep repeating it until you're blue in the face but you're still wrong, regardless of whatever anecdotal evidence you seem to have. Are you personally having trouble finding groups to do things?
    Duder likes this.
  11. Lorai Lorekeeper

Yea?? Well I find your posts condescending--and childish as well. So now we're even, and you can stick it.

Give it up Tappin, Khat's world is everyone's world--in her mind anyway...
    Windance likes this.
  12. Khat_Nip Meow

Which posts of mine are condescending and childish? In this thread? In other threads?
    You're completely out of touch. Cheaters deserve to be perma-banned and that's my view. You not liking that is of no consequence to me.
    Skuz, Stymie and Triconix like this.
  13. eqMath Journeyman

Not being able to find a group is a common reason for boxing, but not cheating.

I've boxed for many years in EQ, but never thought I needed additional software which people get banned for using to help. There are plenty of things I can't do alone, but that's OK. I don't need/want to do everything in EQ by myself. Even if it means I can never get some achievements done if I happen to never find a group or help to do them. You don't have to do 100% of the things that are in the game. It's just a game - you just play it and do what you can.

Lots of people box without additional software helping them. You may think you can't do it without M Q, but you can. Sure, you won't be 100% as good, but good enough. EQ is pretty forgiving in that sense.

Part of the reason M Q is unfair is because of the things someone boxing with M Q can accomplish that a normal player can't. Software that allows characters to react without delay, to always do the same things, cast in the optimal order, disc based on certain criteria, all without any input from the user once started. It really gives you an unfair advantage over other players. This is why it is not OK.

If you can't play/box your characters without M Q's help, you aren't really the one playing - M Q is playing the game for you. Whether you're sitting at the keyboard or not.
  14. Tucoh Augur

When did it have an automation component to it?
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

It's why i never even considered using it, the vids of people using it that run their characters at a boss and then watch the macaroni do the rest looked so.... boring.
    Skuz and Stymie like this.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

"Not enforced properly" does not mean "allowed".
    I have never been able to understand that argument. Just because you can get away with something, does not mean it is ok.
    I mean, with that logic, you could argue that every criminal act you could successfully get away with, is not against the law. That is not how the law works, and it is not how the rules in everquest works either, which this ban wave proves.

Darkpaw is clearly not equipped to enforce every single rule with 100% success, and are hoping the players can behave in accordance to a honor system. Don't let them down!

It is well known which programs are allowed and which are not.
    Besides, everquest will soon get a new launcher that checks for thirdparty programs, and I would be very surprised if they deliberately whitelist M Q. They have openly whitelisted I S Boxer before(on non-truebox servers).

The only thing that came close to discuss M Q, was Holly that mused IF a specific server with M Q support was viable(it appears the conclusion was "no", otherwise they would have openly stated it). It was never stated that M Q was whitelisted for any of the existing or future servers.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Dragnath Elder

If I understand this correctly everyone who uses third party programs AFK camps all the best loot camps in current content? No one just uses one of the characters that they leveled up on their own as an upgrade to the severely outdated Merc program that hadn't really changed in over a decade?

I'm only up to TBL so I haven't ran in to any major issues with AFK botting, if that is a big issue than yes those people should be banned. Outside of that who cares how people play the game, single, box, assisted by a robot you built out of meccano to press keys for you....

People need to chill out, this game is what 23 years old? Most if not all players are in their late 30's-50's, just have some fun. If you want to be a diehard purist who needs to prove how elite you are go play P99 and poopsock some content.
  18. Angahran Augur

Wrong. I-S-B has never had any automation.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

Problem is that a good portion of people play the game solo with their own groups.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.