what will you play on the pvp tlp?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by RABKkehhalla, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanar Lorekeeper

Lol. Maybe because we want a TLP not a velious locked snooze fest with one dude at the helm changing the game as he pleases. You've obviously never played on a private server.
  2. Atomos Augur

I've been playing on private servers for at least 20 years. I'm an advocate for custom content servers and classic era/progression servers.

As stated earlier in the thread, PVP servers take a hit once the game begins to lean towards instancing. Instancing is a major addition to TLPs via DZs, so I hope in asking for a PVP TLP you are also asking for the removal of DZs. Pickzones would also need to be removed, since /pick could be used to avoid an incoming engagement. Although let's be honest, there aren't going to be any picks opening anyway.

The chances of them launching a PVP TLP and you coming here and complaining about the mechanics and "this needs to be fixed" and "this needs to be changed" and eventually "this server is a failure" and "it's DBGs fault" is 100%, so your argument about one dude changing the game as he pleases is moot. In this single thread alone it is already obvious that people have different ideas and desires for a PVP TLP and probably less than half of the 10 of you would be satisfied.

P99 Red might be locked at Velious but Rise of Zek is locked at PoP. Pick one and go there. I guarantee you wouldn't even be happy with an official PVP TLP anyway.
  3. Tanar Lorekeeper

Thanks for your input
  4. Machen New Member

I don't suggest anything. I don't think it is likely at all that DPG will even consider doing a pvp server. But, I also didn't think a server like Mischief was even a remote possibility, so who knows. I like my current server and don't want to leave any time soon, but if they did do a pvp server, and it was set up right, I'd be sorely tempted to at least play on the side.
  5. Machen New Member

No. If you die to pvp, you should not be able to rejoin your group. On the pvp servers historically, that was a player enforced rule -- you die, you loot your corpse and scoot from the zone for an hour.
  6. Machen New Member

I don't know if this was addressed for me, but I don't play on private servers because private servers are stealing the IP from the owner, and I consider it unethical to support them.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Welcome to a server that is dead on arrival if a group is pretty much destroyed as soon as pvp happens.
  8. Atomos Augur

It wasn't, but private servers aren't stealing, they have to be developed in the exact same manner as the official server. Those people are paying out of pocket to host their server as well, because it is a passion project for them.

There are servers that monetize of course, and yeah screw that. Thankfully it's a very small minority of private servers that do that. I also don't agree with hosting a server to play the current version of an MMO.

But the mass majority of private servers are either custom servers with player made content, or servers meant to experience an older version of the game that you can't experience anymore, like Classic era/progression type servers. Neither of those things are taking away from the live game, because the people who want to play that content aren't going to play the live game anyway.

Everquest is a grand example, P99 was a way to experience something you could no longer experience on Live EQ, and most games don't have their own Classic servers. I think it could be argued that P99 has become obsolete due to TLP, although TLP is definitely not the same thing as P99, and personally I think TLP is a much better experience. But for example I don't think there is any reason for Classic and TBC private servers to exist anymore since Blizzard has created their own.

The only other times I find private servers acceptable is when the game is poorly managed by the company, or does not provide appropriate servers (either broken servers or not having an Australian server, for example).
  9. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Maybe they should run a short duration PvP server, no special rules sets (such as the FV/Mischief loot), and the good vs evil teams. Maybe internally set a low population window, and when that low population level is reached, they shut it down. Then review the data. Merge all characters onto the current Zek server. Hell if it stays popular, it stays up. Win for anybody that wants to PvP.

I don't know, not a fan of PvP in almost all MMOs. It's always seemed like an afterthought. There's like five very loud people that do PvP in Star Trek Online, but even they seem to have lost the ear of the devs. EVE Onlilne is good, but could definitely be better. Pirates of the Burning Sea I found enjoyable for a long time, and that was RvRvR. But because of bad experiences in other MMOs, I've shied away from even playing other games that are, based on reports and reviews, good to great for PvP.

Personally, I won't play on the server. But hey, if there is enough interest, I'll support y'all getting a PvP TLP.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You do realize that using someone else's intellectual property to as a base for what you are working on is still intellectual property theft right? It doesn't matter that they have to spend time and money to get it working an host it the act is still theft. The only way you can say it isn't theft is if the intellectual property is open source or they have an agreement with the owner to allow for use of it. It doesn't matter if they are charging or not but the fact that they are doing it.
    Duder and jeskola like this.
  11. Atomos Augur

Incorrect.

An MMO is made up of 4 things, the client software, the server software, the server hardware, and the database. None of that is being stolen. Players have paid for the client software, private server devs purchase their own server hardware and develop their own server software and database.

The two main illegalities that happen with private servers:
    1. Making money off of it. A very small amount of private servers do this, thankfully.
    2. Distributing the client yourself. If a private server was ever shut down, this is why 99% of the time.

There is a reason there is only 1 record in the history of MMOs of anyone being sued over private servers, despite them existing since the 1990s. A woman was operating a WoW server and making MILLIONS of dollars off of it. However, there is no record of what actually happened, the court decided to make her pay nearly $90m, but she didn't appear for court. There is no record of anything beyond that, so no one even knows what happened - though I'm willing to bet Blizzard didn't get their $90m.
  12. Triconix Augur

Duder, jeskola and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  13. Atomos Augur

The EULA can give the company the ability to ban you from using their products. The EULA is not law nor above the law. If no one is making money and no one is copying anything (distributing the client), then no law is being broken.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What are you smoking? Private servers are using code that was created by daybreak (and all the previous companies) which is copyrighted intellectual property. The reason you don't see lawsuits over them is it is not worth the money it would cost to get them shut down. The people running them won't be able to cover the legal fees for the lawsuit when they lose. Unless those private servers start to get big and cost them money they are generally ignored.

You can't run a server without the server code which has never been sold to anyone and the best you can claim is that the players are not violating anything if they have the right to use the client code. However no one outside of the company itself has the rights to use the server code.
    Triconix and jeskola like this.
  15. Dailor Augur

16. Accipiter Old Timer

It really doesn't.
  17. Atomos Augur

No they aren't? They are making their own server code.
  18. HekkHekkHekk Augur

I for one am looking forward to DESTROYING you cry babies in pvp. Good game.[IMG]
  19. jiri_ Augur

Question! How do you propose to destroy players who are not on your server? By ruthlessly posting memes on the forums?
  20. code-zero Augur

This may be relevant :p

Skuz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.