Cost of dying is too high

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blackfogg, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Alnitak Augur

I still do not understand what people are complaining about. EQ is not easy to play solo ? Well, it never was. These days it's easy to level solo from 2 to 75 because of the features which did not exist when those levels were current era. Defiant gear and other neat stuff did not exist back when lvl 75 was the top-level.
    For me personally the big level gap exists between levels 64 and 70. 64 is too high for a shrouded lvl 70 to PL it effectively and too low to group with 115's. (yes, there are tricks for that but those are not very efficient at 64). So, for my personal use I've leveled up my bazaar trader to lvl 94 and use it to PL 64 to 70 by tagging along. And then past 70 I use my lvl 94 to transfer tasks for the experience reward, i.e. lvl 115 does the tasks, then transfers it to 94, then leaves the task and now 94 taskadds lvl 70.
    I can easily do 3 RoF tasks in an hour (those require some traveling). Each task give 50-70 % of level exp to lvl 70. Rinse - repeat and then head to your favorite 80'ish zone to PL with lvl 94.
    In just one evening after work my new toon goes from 70 to 75 by doing exactly nothing. Couple more evenings and it is dinging lvl 85 and then the real PL starts. (That is if I was too cheap to buy Heroic).
    It takes just 1 lvl 115 toon to blast through Partisan tasks in TBM (+ couple other tasks). lvl 85 tags along and gets about 50-70 % of a level per task, and exp potions work there because exp comes from kills, unlike CoTF. Remnant currency is earned for the gear, nice augs and Tier 2 gear drop as well. In fact - even 115 earns some AA, because mobs are lvl 105-108 in those missions. 6 missions per evening in couple of hours, 3-4 levels boost, recreational PL.
    And this is SLOW PL routine. Some people do it much more efficiently, like in Sathir's Tomb grind etc.

This is for returning players to understand, I barely spend 2-3 days total in their level range with my new toons. They have to make friends and/or join a guild to have a reasonable opportunity for group leveling. Or be prepared to grind steadily through lots and lots of kills of LB-DB mobs in various zones without any top loot dropping. I have done it when I returned after 14 years absence. Grinded my way up until I've caught up with the mainstream.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

I hit level 60 again on last night's raid. I really need to get back into an xp group so I can ding in one or two kills when Velious launches in a couple weeks.
  3. Dragnath Elder

The issue is from level 75-100/105 the game is essentially a barren wasteland, if you see another toon in zone they are probably a level 115 on hunter or doing some old quest. I can definitely see where being alone in the game with no help being a challenge. In old eq it was near impossible to progress, but that was due to the slow grind, not the lack of groups etc.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

I think the disconnect for some is that you, according to this post, assume everyone PL's? Not everyone has the ability to do so, nor does everyone think it's fun gameplay. What your post essentially said, from my perspective, is that skipping the middle to upper middle end of the game is the way to enjoy EQ? That doesn't sound fun to me. As for a good 64-70 zone I suggest Infected Splitpaw. Mobs still do classic damage and the drops bring in decent coin. It's my go-to in that level range. I soloed it on my Mage and Paladin while burning lesson. After 70 the leveling speed and fun goes south fast in my experience.
  5. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

This is one of the things that I don't like about EQ, but that is baked into the core functionality of the game, and thus unlikely to ever change. In my opinion, buffs that affect combat (hp/ac/haste/DS/etc.) should never have been something that could be cast on someone not in your group or raid. And then, those buffs should only persist as long as the characters are in the same group or raid.

It is just not right to sit in the GL, get loaded up with buffs from all classes, let alone buffs from toons up to 40 levels higher than you, and then go out and have a comfortable time killing things with those buffs that you'd have a hard time beating at all without them. It is one of those things that messes up the social aspect of the game. You don't need a beastlord in your group to get beastlord buffs that will last for 2 hours. Same with rangers, shaman, enchanters, etc.

[minor edits for grammar/clarity]
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Like it or not, it's a core part of the game.

I haven't checked this in forever, but what's the highest level character a 110+ buff can land on?
  7. quakedragon Augur

It was better back in the days. It is what drove more social aspect of the game, back in the days people would stand around in PoK all day and cast temp or SoW. Not everyone was familiar with other classes buffs like druid DS or mage DS back in the days but everyone knew, make sure to get temp and SoW before heading out. Go to the Nexus stone ask that person standing on it can I get SoW. Hand him a plat or two. Say thanks. Say have a nice day.

A level 115 mage DS can land on 75 or higher. It does 5k and if you get the rangers DS too that does 2k so 7k DS at 75, everytime a mob smacks you, you basically backstabbed or big nuked them back.
    Accipiter likes this.
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I know. I accept that it is never going to change. And I do buff my own toons as well as sit in the GL soaking up mgbs. I just think that it would be better if it didn't work that way, and maybe they tune content assuming that people will do that, and thus it ends up encouraging people to do that even more. I don't know much about how they tune/test content prior to it showing up on live servers.
  9. ueaele New Member

I think that the big think here is "Imagine you were someone who hadn't played a regular-rules (including Firiona Vie) server since 2002-2007, coming back for Mishief, and decided to make a heroic character on a live server." Would YOU have any clue of how to catch up to level 90/J5, let alone current content? Especially without begging?

There must be lots of folks extremely eager to throw cash at Daybreak in this (or a similar) situation. Throw them a bone and help them to get caught up (maybe level 90-100 with J5 unlocked or double XP for the first 20 levels and 2000 AAs? Either way, a set of gear with at least +1000HP/Mana, augs is necessity) and ideally, populations will increase. C'mon, guys! Maybe even offer different tiers of heroic characters. It's certainly preferable to people using third-party marketplaces to buy high-level toons and promptly wiping groups. Give people something worthwhile to spend their money on that'll draw them back in to a high enough tier of playing that catching up isn't unattainable to people who've never played these xpacs before and don't have ton of friends helping them level so that they'll actually be able to learn the ropes and be viable. Beats people sitting afk through swarm pulls in order to have a gimped "max level" (or close) toon and/or flailing, failing, dying, then quitting at 85.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Guess you never did plane of fear corpse runs?

Andarriel
  11. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

My favorite PoFear corpse run story was my guild leader. He died so many times on a Fear raid that he lost lvl 46 and people had to help plvl him so that he could get back in to loot his corpse and get his gear. Apparently, if you'd still be under 46 after a rez, it wouldn't let you in the zone at all.
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

The cost of death is running back (yeah, that part can suck) and then killing 10ish mobs.
    I'm not sure how the cost of death is that bad.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Febb Augur

[IMG]
    Bigstomp and Skuz like this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Or 500 ToV trash mobs. Maybe CoV is the same.
    Stymie likes this.