how many players play more then 1 account at the same time.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, Jul 23, 2021.

1. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I true box 3,
    Setup a friend who only boxes 2 with a bypass method since he didn't want to do the regular method.

I'm sure the % of who bypasses vs normal is unknown best guess is 50/50
  2. Yteran Lorekeeper

I truebox 3 on the new TLPs, but I absolutely hate trueboxing. I think it's a waste of electricity and a dumb as hell 'solution'; it doesn't really change anything - because the biggest problem players are still boxing with VMs and that program which shall not be named, and nothing is ever done about it.

If they opened up normal boxing it's unlikely I'd go beyond 3 boxes, but it'd be a lot easier on my body to box. Two laptops and a desktop on a janky setup is not very ergonomic.

How many kilowatt hours are wasted on EverQuest trueboxes alone, one wonders?
    Machen likes this.
  3. Bewts Augur

OG EQ I only played a single account.
    Years later I picked up EQMac and was able to box 3 at once being able to side screens with that neat Mac option. Was pretty seamless and eventually ran a full 6-box.
    When I came back to EQ with TLP on Lockjaw I sorted out how to box EQ from one PC and ran 3 accounts and my friend 3 others. He eventually quit so I was back yo 6-boxing basically from Classic through TSS or later (forget when I quit)

Now on Mischief I’m back to OG single account because (1) I don’t have a second PC and (2) There isn’t an obvious and simple solution that doesn’t get me into suspensions or bans. I really hate the truebox code because I simply don’t have the time to wait for groups or build groups as I work full time, parent full time and adult full time. So… I play necro and hope for the best.
  4. Machen New Member

That's what you say now, but the zerg will suck you in. It's SO easy to add a 4th, then a 5th and 6th, and then hey what about a second group...
  5. Pikallo Augur

Ragefire I had 2, Phinny progressed to 3, Selo went to 4, Agnarr stayed 4, Rizlona went to 5, and now rounding out with 6 on Mischief. Like a tractor beam wuuuuuuu
    Machen likes this.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I can't speak for everybody, but I could never run more than two. Honestly I can barely keep track of two as it is. Even with physical PC's, it would be too much to keep track of, but if I had to alt-tab and keep track of which one I was on, I'd start raging. Like, if I need to be back on a specific character quickly, and I have to remember how many alt-tabs to do, or shift-alt-tabs or whatever? That's chaos and insanity. Some people can do it, and maybe if I had literally one hotkey on each character and I just looped through them pushing one key over and over again, it could be done. But that sounds like the most boring chaos one could participate in.

As it is I already have my socials highly tailored to the situations I expect to be in. A social that targets things, casts spells, and then switches back to a default target is great, until your Cleric needs to add a little DPS and heal less. Suddenly the thing that makes my life easier is making my life harder.

Boxing is a powerful option, but it's easy to get drawn in by the power of it and ignore whether doing it is making you happy or not. I'm sure my PC could run six accounts no problem, and I could get more screens to make it easier to manage. But would that be fun? I could accomplish more, and be more unhappy while doing it. Is it worth the accomplishment if you didn't enjoy getting it? Not to me.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

A seriously, seriously, insignificant amount. Like maybe 1 bitcoin worth of power in a year.
  8. Numiko Augur

I mine Bitcoins while playing EQ! :)
  9. Machen New Member

Maybe today, that's true. But I can tell you there have been multiple years since truebox was introduced where I spent more than 1 bitcoin's value paying for electricity to run six pc's and the a/c to cool the room with six pc's. On the day the very first truebox server launched, the price of a Bitcoin was under $400.

If you are looking at today's bitcoin prices, yeah, no one is paying for ~30k+ electricity bills to truebox eq.
  10. Vlahkmaak Augur

Look for cheap used laptops - they run EQ just fine. You will only need a little desk room to be able to easily reach the laptops. Also, num pads work great for accessing hot buttons for quick assists/heals. I'm in the same life boat and 3 box when I cannot group and group on occasion as time permits and cheap yard sale quality lap tops work fine. Scan your social media market places/craigslist etc. I'd be willing to bet you can find a usable gem or two.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I've been trying to run two. In the past, it was never an issue. But since then. MS has presented some pretty harsh symptoms, making reaction time and reaching over to hit a hotkey on the other keyboard harder than it should be. I'm handling a single character while raiding and grouping harder content, but I'm not really trusting my ability to handle two at once. I may just give that up.

At one time, on a live server, I ran three and even four accounts, with mercs, on two PCs. Shaman, a wizard, a pet class, and a bard, with a tank and healer merc pair. I also used to be able to move like a ninja. I was very agile, and very physically fit. I do miss those days. At least with the tinnitus, I don't ever get bothered by cicadas.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I meant the power for all of EQ's boxers combined. Was just hyperbole anyway.

Also, I did notice my office was pretty warm yesterday.
    Machen likes this.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Our family has, I think 11 or 12 accounts total. 5 are all access at the moment, 3 are silver, the rest F2P runners and watchers of things, CotH or buffers on low poulation servers.

I run 2 PCs on my desk. On TLP I 2 box, on live I also "2 box" (Only actually playing 2 of the 3 or 4 logged in) and tow a lower level or utility like CC or exodus, or ooc druid. The old fashioned way. 2 keyboards, use of socials and a lot of [crtl] [esc]

Personally, I don't do automation just as I wouldn't consider myself a bowler if a robot pitched my balls for me.
  14. Corydon Augur

OP asking: "how many players play more then 1 account at the same time."
    Answer: "More than 1."
    o_O
  15. Patchin New Member

Can't answer for sure, but if guild players are any indicator, I'd say is only about 30% on Mischief that box 1 or more characters.

When I stopped playing on live several years ago, I would have put the number between 80 to 90% that boxed at least 1 other account.

Oh, and wireless keypads are your friend for truebox! I play on my PC, with laptop beside me, with wireless keypad for wife's PC on other side of room.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

99-01: 1 account one PC
    01-04: 2 accounts two PCs
    04-06: Up to 6 accounts, two PCs, slew of CRT's
    4/19-5/19 (Selo) 1 account PC, 1 account laptop... NEVER again

These days I play one PC, one 27" 1080 monitor, clients fullscreen. 2-3 accounts typically. Can drag up to 7 chars around but usually just dock/park all my other windows on a second multidesktops (win+tab) and alt-tab to rotate the 2-3 main ones. I generally do okay 2-boxing like this. 3-boxing I kinda have to be in the Zen otherwise it's massively inefficient.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I hear that. People complain about TrueBox, but I actually prefer it. I did alt-tab boxing for a long time and 3 characters was definitely my limit. I was constantly running off to pull with the cleric. :(
  18. ShivanAngel Augur

(rizlona for those wondering)

On past truebox servers, I played 3
  19. Shindar The Reaver Journeyman

amen to that! and the company is ok with it too which is BS long as they dont do it AFK but yet its ok for them to have 1-3 guys using bots to farm aoc raid targets and sell the krono RMT. Its bad enough we have to deal with the guys trying to control open world on multi servers so they can sell in era raid loot once guild mains are geared and that happens fast with dz+OW with the faster respawns. Its sad what the game has turned into and the company at this point should just sell raid gear per expan in a market place designed just for TLP instead of letting them turn these servers into toxic nightmares
    Corydon Coles likes this.
  20. Corydon Coles Elder

I would, and used to BUT
    They recently created no more then 1 account per computer
    So EQ loses $$$ every month