Cost of dying is too high

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blackfogg, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Triconix Augur

Ethereal indestructible gear. Inject that into my veins.
    Andarriel likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is a big problem in the game where people think they need all of these buffs to efficiently play the game. Sure they help but there is no reason you can't work just as efficiently without all those buffs and you don't have to spend a lot of AFK time to get the buffs you want.
    nitrocutter and Tatanka like this.
  3. quakedragon Augur

If he cares about xp a lot, its because he's not 115 yet.
    Not having all the buffs is fine when your towards end game, but trying to get to end game, moloing, etc. Every buff counts. That extra 10k hp at lvl 85, thats like 33% increase, the 7k DS thats like having 2 other people in your group doing dps.

He maybe concerned with xp loss, but me, losing those buffs thats a big blow. Sucks very much doing all nighter in GL fully buffed and go walk into the world and some unfortunate event happens and leads to death and all buffs gone.

Again, this is lvl 85, this isn't 110+ where buffs aint really matter too much. At 85 buffs are a huge deal, because they do so much.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

He's not concerned about them, because, while he's 115 now, those buffs DIDN'T EXIST when he was 85 (the huge DSs you refer to were introduced in ToV, a mere year and a half ago, less than 10% of the time EQ has been in existence). The fact that you have them some of the time now at 85 already makes it easy mode for you. If you are that worried about having them up all the time, then don't die ;)
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you care about those buffs that much the simple solution is to invite those classes to your group so that you can have them. The fact remains that the group game is not built around having full raid buffs and can easily be played without them.
    Tombstonne, Tucoh and Nennius like this.
  6. quakedragon Augur

This post was made yesterday.
    If he's 115 why complain about xp loss? Your still 115, its ok to lose xp as long as your stay 115. Makes no sense for a person max level to be complaining lmao.

The people trying to get close to 115 should be the ones complaining. Go and try to get to 115 without being PL or some hi box and pretend you have no friends and you tell me how it feels being in your 80s. That's how returning players feel.

I listed 2 buffs, not every single buff.

One thing about the newer MMOs and the older MMOs like EQ.
    In Guild Wars 2, I can return after 4 year break, I'm lvl 80 which is max, my gear is still pretty much BiS.
    In Everquest, I return in 4 years. I'm 15 levels behind, my gear is nothing. Months to catchup. In fairness EQ has been around twice as long as GW2, so its only fair to say the returning player is coming back after 8 years which means they 30+ levels behind, which is very demoralizing and LONG grind.

I can understand 105 to 115 being a grind. But 85 to 105? THATS A GRIND. With 85 to 105, your too weak to get any actual groups. If they had large level gap zones like 80 - 105 95 - 115, that would be helpful in finding and knowing if other people are online doing the grind.

Ex. 89 and 97 is moloing trying to get to 115 as fast as possible.
    The 89 is NEVER going to see the 97 because they both hunting in different zones. It aint like back in the days, Veksar, being a lvl 49and theres a lvl 57huting there, 57 will let the 49 in the group.

Every single expansion since SoD is
    80-85 85-90 90-95 95-100, 5 lvl tiniest increments, that's been going on since 15th of 27 expansions. THATS NOT RETURNING player friendly.

The OLD EQ, the nostolgic EQ, they go by 20-50 zone 40-65 zone.
    This new NOT RETURNING PLAYER friendly EQ. 105-110 110-115. 5 level difference.

Give me the hp buff and the 7k DS, pointless to be fighting stuff 90-110, because time I get to 95 I need an upgrade, 100 I need another upgrade, 105 I need another upgrade, 110 I need another upgrade. These upgrades aint cheap too, and they very crucial because all sudden at 91 mobs go from 4k quads to 7k quads, you aint got the upgrades, prepare to get swept.

At lvl 40, you don't really need an upgrade, lvl 40 gear is ok fighting lvl 55.
    Lvl 80 gear fighting lvl 91, you going to get swept so fast, you aint know what hit you.

Basically what I'm saying is, people 85-105 they REALLY REALLY need those buffs. With those buffs xp is moving. Without those buffs, I'd be complaining about death and xp, because I aint killing squat and when I do kill squat the xp barely even moves, it would be like 15 kills just to get a 1% at 91, then I die and guess what I lost 4%, smh.

PLUS, at 90, the game wants you to goto old raid zones for hotzone xp. "go get going to Fear Itself, Arthicrex. serious? smh" following the hotzone schedule at 90 is like "you mind dying once or twice before you even start, as in dying on the run to get there, we assuming you not a returning player and know exactly how to run there and know that there will be this sneaky see invis mob that will get you once or twice, its just 4 to 8% exp you will lose and about 30 minutes to an hour of your time" "after you die from sneaky invis mobs on the run there, about 30% xp loss at 91, you'll be good enough to know how to avoid them and their pathing, but it wont matter anymore because now you have to get going to the 95 hotzone and guess what, you going to lose 30% xp because hotzone is going to be in another T4 zone in the expansion"

"after you lose about 90% total xp, feel free to come to the forums and discuss then get told by lvl 115 players, that your lucky to have buffs, and get put down by them because heh you some returning 90s player, EQ is easy to 115, whats wrong with you returning player?" "go do hotzones they say, arthicrex awaits taking your xp from you. fear itself awaits taking your xp from you. Go and do hotzones they say"

Theres only 2 things in EQ.
    Your either on progression server 1- 70 and quit afterwards because everyone starts leaving. Or your already end game on live server.

Those people 70-110? They don't last long in EQ. Every 5 levels is MAJOR gear increase, mobs going to hit you you aint got the gear? Get ready for that 4k quads to 7k quads sweep. Heck 105s probably do 20k quads.

I'm a 85, wow 800HP gear, this is huge!
    Ding 90. How come you aint wearing this 2k HP gear?

I am getting fed up with 80-110 journey is easy.
    28th expansion "returning players the level cap is now 120, come back and have fun" "meanwhile I'm here, I can't even get to 95, yep, glad yall boasting about lvl 120, only handful going to experience it because 80-110 is a crazy grind itself, since YALL be forgetting about returning players since SoD" Can I get that 7K DS buff? I'm trying to experience this lvl 120, lvl 90 aint fun at all, aint no one around, its just me moloing here.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure you might have listed two buffs but many people think they need every buff they can get before grouping.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well said. Some folks spend hours in PoK begging for buffs. Time that could be better spent by gaining experience in ever so many ways.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

"F**K!!!! I forgot to turn my merc on... again. Screw it. I'll go do the dishes and wait for more MGBs."

This may be a ritual of mine...
  10. quakedragon Augur

EXACTLY! Oh you forgot to summon your pet bro!
  11. Nolrog Augur

This is the biggest complaint I have about the new TLPs. My group uses a shaman for healing, and for the most part, it's fine, but shaman has no rez ability untl level 59 and Seeds of Destruction, so unless I have a cleric, almost every death is unrezzed. Plus having to run all the way back to where I was is a pain in the neck especially if I am deep in a dungeon and bound far away.

Even clerics don't get meaningful rez until 32 (50%), so you don't get many decent rezzes early on in the game.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You do know there is an auto afk setting. There is also an "auto merc passive" setting.

Supposedly if you check the box for auto afk and the one for the merc then it should go passive when you go afk

I don't trust the two working together however since there were some issues when it first came out.

But I do know if you put afk on thru /afk and have the auto passive checked then your merc will go passive.

So check that box and set your self afk in lobby. Your all good.

Its under options - at the bottom
  13. Thul Journeyman

Add one of these lines to an attack macro...

Hotkeys

The following hotkeys can be used to direct your mercenary:
    • /mercassist on - Turns on Mercenary assist.
    • /mercassist off - Turn this off.
    • /mercassist - this activates the merc when /mercassist is on.
    • /stance passive - puts the merc in a passive stance.
    • /stance aggressive - this puts your merc in the aggressive stance.
    • /stance burn - puts the caster/melee dps merc in a burn stance (warning: high agro).
    • /stance balanced - puts the merc in a balanced attack/heal stance.
    • /stance efficient - puts the healer merc in a efficient stance.
    • /stance reactive - puts the healer merc in a reactive stance (note: best overall healing setting).
    I use the auto-AFK settings so my merc doesn't chew on my plat. These commands keep me from that "oh s**t!!" moment.
    Svann2 likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

OMG your so 1000% right on i see people always wanting buffs i always did fine with self and merc buffs.

Andarriel
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

And don't think the rest of your group didn't notice. Waiting................... :)
    Svann2 and minimind like this.
  16. Riou EQResource

nowadays it's basically nothing, but back when the games were closer to general EQ was back then, it was painful, more so then the exp loss at the time
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

When I first started playing the bigger problem, for me at least, of dying was just getting my corpse. Too many times I would die in very inconvenient spots. Many was the time that I would have find a way to get someone to drag my corpse to a safe spot. With a corpse summoner that problem is moot.

Flash forward: I have a level 115 paladin with max exp.that died three times last night. I was trying to do something that I wasn't really up to. In all three cases, I just summoned the corpse and took a merc. rezz. For me at least, death in EQ has become almost a trivial thing. There are players who don't understand how to use either mercs. or the summoners in the Guild Lobby well. It is part of the learning curve of EQ and when it IS understood well, the consequences of death truly do take a sort of holiday.

P.S. I was bored last night and I tried to semi-zerg some stuff. It didn't go well and today I took along a level 115 rogue alt with his melee merc. and my healer merc. it was easy. EQ is like that now for me. I can take huge, sometimes silly, risks that would have been almost unthinkable back in the day and then just sort of shake them off when they go badly. In this respect, I think the game has become almost too easy. At least at 115, and for someone who has played the game for a long time.
    nitrocutter likes this.
  18. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Lets revert back to not summoning corpses and doing Boat rides with sharks and enduring breath issues when falling off a boat trying to find your /location (if your lucky to do /location).
    Short hairy footed Clerics running to help you.

But the 4% sure does take a long time to get back when you died (as Nennius said above) 12% sucks to get back.

.. /em goes back to the hills
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Three words....

Chipped Bone Rod :)

Still carry one in my bags, just for nostalgia!
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

There are also group versions of those zones which is likely what you are experiencing.
    To get into the raid version of the zone you would need a group of 6 toons minimum.