Mage Pets and Toys

Discussion in 'Casters' started by DillyBar, Jul 26, 2021.

1. DillyBar Augur

Hi,

Why can mage pets not equip armor, for example? I think I've only gotten any of them to hold weapons only.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Have you actually tried? Because, they DO equip armor.
  3. Szilent Augur

if a pet returns an item, it's because they're already equipping the same thing or better
    Stymie likes this.
  4. DillyBar Augur

My water pet will not take anything other then weapons.
  5. DillyBar Augur

Now necro, beast, everything else, will take everything yes.
  6. Alnitak Augur

Try to summon focus items - mage pets take earring, ring and one of the bracers . I usually go with
    Crystasia's Jade Bracelet (it has 117 AC, 1565 HP and +70 ATK vs 89AC and 800 HP plated bracer pets get summoned with)
  7. Zanarnar Augur

Pets will not equip No-Drop items. Mage pets come geared with mage summons too, so it might just be one of those issues.
  8. Cicelee Augur

They can equip some summoned armor, merc armor, anything that is tradeable. The game equips the highest AC item for the slot, and the pet does come with some armor already equipped. So if you summon a pet and it has 500 AC legs and you give it some tradeskill armor that is 450 AC, it will deny it. But give it 800 AC legs and it accepts it regardless of any other stats.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Stymie Pendragon

10. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

What level is your mage? What equipment are you trying to give to your mage pet? With equipment, you need to give the pet an item with a higher AC value. That's the only thing that matters. If the AC value is the same or lower the pet gives it back to you.

A reminder. Never, ever give your pet a back item. The back item has a 0 AC value, but it has a bunch of stats which help your pet tremendously.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. Ciskin New Member

A reminder. Never, ever give your pet a back item. The back item has a 0 AC value, but it has a bunch of stats which help your pet tremendously.

so put it on it's back or not?

found this at the other link.

the items have to be better than what they're wearing. Dimensional war armor and other cheep craft item in same expansion are good. You can use 4 of the summoned aug in the, but DON'T PUT ANY ON HIS BACK, that's were his buff is. Also none pet classes don't get much if any benif from these items. I have often wondered about using 2 remote heal weapons. Full group of mages would mean 12 weapons.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Don't get confused by the why. Just follow the rule.

The rule is simple:
    NEVER GIVE YOUR PET ANY ITEM THAT IS EQUIP-ABLE IN THE BACK SLOT.

So that includes shields that may also be back slot equip-able.
  13. chungus Journeyman

being able to debuff the resists you use most often is a strength not a weakness, cast time is not extremely long, both necros and rangers have debuffs they use also... U can also use a pet proc to reduce resists malosinec emminence i think.

many many benefits to playing a mage, mages are one of the only classes that never runs out of mana, in addition to tanking/off tanking with pet and swarm pets, and one of the highest sustain dps in the game, rods, coth, cool looking epic 1.0, you only need really 5 items to function at a high level (BP, arms, legs, weapon, pet ear right out of the box.