Cost of dying is too high

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blackfogg, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Blackfogg New Member

Casual player coming back after a few years away. Missed the game but damn i hate the cost of dying. Time and experience loss is insane. I like everything else, no problem with game play or graphics but come on. At least drop the exp loss. Venting over for now :)
  2. Tucoh Augur

Not making an argument either way, but you are using the resurrect spell your healer merc has, right?
  3. Bigstomp Augur

I can't recall ever being concerned with the cost of dieing (for xp). The cost of death for me is having to return to where I was if I cannot or forgot to set a campfire.
    Velisaris_MS, Ssdar and Elyssanda like this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Experience loss is insignificant with a mercenary's resurrection. Experience loss can be easily made up with Overseer after level 85.
    minimind and Nennius like this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

At least you dont have to repair your gear when you die like some other games
    henry0918, Thancra and Andarriel like this.
  6. Riou EQResource

Before Overseer in ToV with the massive increase in exp for levels, would have agreed, but post Overseer can't agree with that
    Alena, Donaskz and Fanra like this.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

At lower levels it is shocking. It does get better and you don't have to ask another player to rez you over and over anymore with the cleric mercs.

In addition to healer mercs there are also Token of Resurrection you can buy from Loyalty merchants. Those are handy cause mercs will not rez during battle and those work. You can rez yourself when your merc is down too. Even Rangers can use them. ;)
  8. Blackfogg New Member

Thank you all. Some things have changed then. Never heard of an overseer, campfire. mercs i have but usually use a tank for my shammy. Thanks again for the input. Pays to whine sometimes :)
    Vumad, Fanra, minimind and 1 other person like this.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

If they dropped the xp loss there be no risk at all! I mean sure its alot if you dye and dont get a rez but otherwise its nothing at all.

Andarriel
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You can also use the corpse summoner NPC's in the guild lobby. Buy a stone that matches your level, hand it to the corpse summoner, and all your corpses will appear in the lobby. Then you can use your cleric merc to rez them, or even if you don't have a cleric merc you can typically ask in /ooc for a rez and find one, depending what server you're playing on.

With gear staying on corpes and easy corpse summons available, losing a small amount of post-rez xp is really the only thing keeping any sort of death penalty at all in this game, other than the few minutes it takes to med back up after a death.
    henry0918 and minimind like this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

Been playing Diablo. I've learned the easy way to avoid repairs is just to not die.
    minimind and Triconix like this.
  12. Dragnath Elder

Also there is the expedient recovery AA to get back 100% xp loss every week or so.

I have to assume from your post that you did not play when this game first came out. I remember dying while trying to run from my bind point in Antonica to Velious, only to die before I reached my final destination, losing xp which took painfully long to grind, no rez unless you paid/begged a cleric for it (if there was one around), no the general channel so you would need to run back to the zone you died in to /ooc for someone. Running back naked because your gear stayed on the corpse, with a high chance of dying again because you don't have any gear on.

Also the run took close to an hour start to finish, uphill both ways.... There was many nights where I would log on for 4-5 hours and accomplish absolutely nothing because of dying and then trying to get my corpse back, not even accounting for the lost xp.

A couple months ago I died 5 times on the same event in TBL (was about 106 at the time) planning on using expedient recovery and forgot before I went to bed. I made up the xp in less than a week of Overseer.
    henry0918, cadres and nitrocutter like this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't know, repair costs generally don't break the bank and not having to worry about deleveling and becoming unable to use gear is nice.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

At lower levels it is easy to recover lost experience. What you can't ever recover is lost time. I think you should be able to recover a full bar of HME in a minute of downtime once you hit OOC.
  15. quakedragon Augur

The biggest cost is, say you sat in GL overnight, fully buffed.
    Go out, die on the first or second pull.
    Buffs gone, sucks even more if your the tank.

All them 2 hour 3 hour buffs. Gone
    Extra 20k hp, gone.
    Extra 7k damage shield, gone.
    Svann2 likes this.
  16. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Not sure what level you are but at L59 shamans get a 90% casted rez if you don't feel like switching to a cleric merc.

At L100 you get a 96% rez AA that you can use to rez yourself any time outside of combat.

Honestly I think I spend probably as much time rezzing myself from doing stupid stuff as I do rezzing other people in my group.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  17. Vulken9 Journeyman

This has always been a problem. Everyone can get cleric buffs with mercs, but you won't necessarily be able to get those other class buffs you'd need to efficiently xp. Or, you could, but it would waste a lot of your playtime tracking those down.

I guess you could always buy pots from dbg store (or shaman pots) for some of the buffage. I always wished people could set up their characters like an off line trader and you could buy the buffs you need at current market prices and be back experiencing in no time. But, I know it is a silly wish that would never happen.
  18. quakedragon Augur

Yes, the thing is, the lower level you are the more drastic the cost of dying is.
    At lvl 85 say you have righteousness and igneous skin lvl 115 buffs.
    You die, theres no skinspikes that can do 7k damage shield at lvl 85. No hf buff that gives 10k+ hp at lvl 85.
  19. Triconix Augur

What level are you? The exp penalty has been pretty much nerfed to non-existence. There are more classes that can rezz most exp lost than ever before. You can also buy rezz tokens from the loyalty vendor. They aren't as good, but an 85% rez is still very good.

I see you posted that you normally have a tank merc. I suggest acquiring a second merc specifically for rezz/rebuff duties. You can easily swap them every 5 minutes when not in combat. As others have said, you have other options besides grinding to get exp back such as Overseer.

The most aggravating thing to get back I would think are buffs. Ways to mitigate that would be /ooc in GL, asking guildies, sending tells to specific classes in the zone you're in.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Diablo 2 Resurrected is coming out soon woot! I was playing d2 before i found eq back in 2000 hence my name and yea repairing armor kinda sucked i liked the stuff that repaired itself or was indestructible!

Andarriel
    Triconix likes this.