The Reason Why Some of us Are Frustrated with Daybreak Games

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jul 23, 2021.

1. sadre Augur

Name a server Barton Hall 77, I will at least check it out....
  2. Machen New Member

Sure. Fire everyone and give the product away and end all development. Makes a lot of sense.
    Stymie, Gnothappening and Karreck like this.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

When you develop an IP and business that generates 10s of millions of dollars, feel free to give it away for free. Somehow, I doubt that is in the cards for this publicly traded business.
    Gnothappening and Karreck like this.
  4. Atomos Augur

Eh I'd love to see EQ put on Github or something so everyone could contribute to it.
    sadre likes this.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Your litany of hostile, mean-spirited, and uncharitable replies to my original post and replies demonstrate to any reasonable observer that you are not here in good faith. You've insulted me many times in this thread. You appear to be here to score debating points and play ForumQuest and derail the thread with misdirection tactics with the ultimate goal of having the thread locked so forum warriors that are okay with the status quo can go back to sleep while you get to bask in the fleeting glory of vanquishing yet another interloper who upset the apple cart in your virtual dojo. I'm not going to take your bait anymore and I won't bother replying to you.

I truly feel sorry for any new or returning players that come here hoping to get a fair hearing for their concerns and suggestions. The lack of a welcoming attitude by some and the toxicity that people who are new to these forums must endure is appalling and reeks of 20 years ago when most MMO forums were like the wild west.

Lost in all of this is that I simply advocated for the exploration of methodologies that would facilitate better communication between devs and players and more dev staff to alleviate the heavy workload that devs face now with the end goal of making a better play experience for EverQuest players. Period.
  6. Karreck Somebody

You set the tone with your accusations of Strawmen and hand waving away of legitimate counter points to your suggestion. You did it to me and others who expressed issues with your proposition.
    Face it, you started this with your arrogant dismissal of anything that wasn't in lock step with your idea.
    And that is why you are playing the classic Troll Card that internet forum posters for decades have used when they can not handle criticism, insisting that you will not reply me, as you reply to me. It is a thinly veiled and disingenuous attempt to appear like you are taking the high road, when the truth is you just don't like dealing with criticism to your own ideas. You proclaim yourself as a "Student of Logic", yet are unable to handle challenges to your own reasoning. This has nothing to do with ForumQuest or being a Forum Warrior. Your idea has some huge flaws. Several of us have pointed out the flaws in your plan, and you have taken such criticism as personal attacks. So you responded to legitimate disagreement with toxicity and arrogance. Is it any wonder that when you set a hostile tone you get hostility in return?
    Next time you want to advocate for something, but don't want to deal with criticism, send an email to Daybreak or Darkpaw. But anything you post on a public forum invites a response, and you can not control the response you get.
    If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Gnothappening Augur

If you take the time to look at their post history, a large portion of it involves QQ.
    Barraind and Karreck like this.
  8. sadre Augur

10's of millions? how much is overhead and payroll? You're acting like it's some juggernaut High Rollers have their fortunes riding on.

It's a holding company for old gaming property. People who work there need to get a new gig.

I thought this thread was about the game, but is it actually about "how can we save this company?"

WHY????
  9. Machen New Member

The company owns the game. However much you wish it were not so.

What reason would they ever have to open source it?
  10. Rauven Augur

Let's take a few steps back here for a moment. Let them answer this question first:

"Why in God's green earth would anyone even bother to attempt to pick up EQ's code?"

Have you all seen the algorithm for just calculating how much damage mitigation happens? Its a 26-step formula (there's a dev post in the forums about it). I swear to God we got to the moon on a simpler formula than that. No one wants to touch EQ, not even if it were free. Maybe.. MAYBE if you paid someone to do it.

Its much easier to make a brand new game entirely. Which is why there are literally dozens of dozens of EQ clones out there over the last few decades. A game with a first-third person view, hotbar, tab-targetting, and classes with roles has been done to death. You know like Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Rift, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, and many many more. There's even more in development.

They could open source EQ tonight and no one would pick it up.
    sadre likes this.
  11. Gnothappening Augur

I think there was also this weird thing where they would make one step multiply by 3 and then divide by 4, rather than just use decimals and multiply.

I don't know anything about the devs, but I sometimes wonder if EQ's code is older than some of the people who have to work on it.
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

P99 would like a word. Clearly there are people who would pick it up and try to make something. Even for free.
    Stymie likes this.
  13. Nolrog Augur

QFT
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Who says the devs are overworked? We did. I've never heard DPG say it. We just assume since people we know by name left that DPG is short handed and the rest of the devs are overworked. That's nonsense. How do we know they didn't fill those positions immediately? We don't. We don't know anything. We just make assumptions.

I use "dev" to mean programmer but to the gaming world it means game developer. These are the people that create the requirements the programmers execute. Most programmers you don't want anywhere near the public forums. But I digress...
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Then you didn't win, did you? It's not an opinion about who won, it's math. Are you claiming there's a bug?
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

As others have pointed out, you have no way of knowing that. Besides, how long would it take to read the forums on a daily basis? They can skip 90% of the content because it's garbage. Petty arguments between two people that go page after page, etc. They could read TLP and Veteran's Lounge in a total of about 10 minutes a day. They could read the bug forum, too, but those bugs are going to be made into tickets so they'll see them eventually anyway.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I wonder how that's going. I wasn't interested in being on the council myself but I'll bet several here are. Are the participants sworn to secrecy? You know, "The first rule about Player Council is you don't talk about Player Council."
    -----Cinexa----- likes this.
  18. Triconix Augur

I would say they should stick to just bug forums. While the bugs will be turned into tickets, they may not capture new information that is posted on the bug thread.

Bug threads and the eventual tickets they open for these bugs are the best process they have. This allows for better auditing and change management. Reading random comments scattered throughout the forums, usually with zero evidence, isn't something I feel devs should waste their time on.

If you provide enough information and evidence, possibly try directly contacting devs? I've PMed devs in the past before and received replies and feedback so they are definitely open to new ideas, potential fixes, updates, etc. They may not prefer this method and I'm not going to go out and condone it for every petty little thing found that a person wants fixed, but a substantial fix/update with enough supporting evidence I don't see it being a bad thing sending a quick PM to one of the devs in charge of that area.

That's just me though.
  19. RABKkehhalla Elder

It's frustrating it's frustrating it's frustrating
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

I disagree. They just have to know how to skip the 90% garbage. It's pretty easy. I worked for a company who created libraries and tools for software developers. Reading the forums was part of our job description.

A) Not my style and B) the one time I did contact a dev I was met with crickets chirping. I PM'd Prathun about the very specific disconnects I was getting in True Box on Phinny, along with video evidence. It was a very respectful PM with no criticism or angst. It is very clear from the video that TrueBox wasn't working as they intended. The message was simply, "Here's something you should know about." Nothing. Nada.
    Brontus likes this.