SKs, what is your sustained dps?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Parmalice, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Parmalice Journeyman

Chaosflux,
    What you say about using lifetaps instead of Terror is not wrong for individual encounters, but for very long group camping (for names, for XP, clearing raid instances for augs, etc.) it would be unsustainable given I'm also pouring DOTs onto mobs during these fights. The Terror line uses essentially no mana.

Like last night where my group cleared the GD raid instance for augs, we killed I think 176 mobs, and the entire time I was scrambling for mana given how much I already used during fights. Spamming Vulak's Bite and Bite of Chaos, plus Thought Leech every time it came up, plus clicking the unified phoenix feather and such still barely manages to keep up with the rate at which I go through mana on long hauls like this. Hitting a lifetap at every casting opportunity just isn't an option. On specific short encounters like killing a name or whatever or during a group mission where it's an all-out DPS check and then done, I definitely spam my lifetaps as extra dps throughout the fight.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Yeh revamped dots raw dog the mana bar no doubt. My necro is in a perpetual state of being between 5% and 25% mana once i start going, it throttles my dps substantially unless I can pull big stacks and only use my 2 highest base damage dots.
    Parmalice likes this.
  3. Raccoo Augur

4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks. I've gotten nowhere near current content, so didn't have a clue.
  5. thorthor New Member

I know you used to run with a Warrior for your groups...Do the warriors now not compete with the SK in terms of tank dps?
  6. jhaimes Lorekeeper

Hey I know you used to go with a warrior...has SK surpassed the warrior now in terms of tank dps?
  7. Tucoh Augur

Was kidding before, i have no idea what the relative dps is, but surely SK dps is too high and warrior dps too low!!!
  8. Szilent Augur

Warrior remains unsurpassed among EQ classes as the best at having their hand held to cross the street.
    Triconix likes this.
  9. Chaosflux Augur

Idk cleric seems like it might beat warrior in needing handholding in modern EQ.
  10. Szilent Augur

Clerics not only need so little to aid in the performance of their roles from other classes that very few even know what reinforcement is available, their performance with and without those reinforcements is indistinguishable in nearly all scenarios.

A warrior's apparent power varies hugely - immensely - wildly even, based on the support propping them up. It varies the most, is my assertion, of any classes'.
    Wulfhere and Warpeace like this.
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Ahh i misunderstood. Yeh clerics gain far less from support, not nothing but for Joe shmoe the chain remedier very little, I was more looking at it from just accomplishing a basic goal needing more support to do it.

But I agree that there's alot more fluctuation for a warrior with some support, versus with the right support, versus no support.
  12. Tucoh Augur

It's a funny dichotomy, clerics benefit the least from other classes in terms of their ability to perform their role and require the most support from their teammates in terms of being able to kill anything.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

I agree. The cleric class is the game defining class in that it highlights the design failures. The main fulcrum of the cleric class is the warrior class. The rogue class is close behind.
  14. Griggson Journeyman

If you are looking to sustain DPS over longer periods, consistently killing mobs, just bin off DoT's altogether, simply too mana intensive.
    Why is "Hitting a lifetap at every casting opportunity" not an option?
  15. Axel Furry Hats OP

Hitting a lifetap when you are at 100% HP or when you have SK epic going is completely useless and you actually lose HP/S when you cast a spell with a cast time with Mortal Coil/epic going, especially when you have a 2hander out. Or when you are getting sufficient heals and your HP isn't spiking too much, then your healer will be healing you for enough that you can just spend your time swinging.

Spamming terrors is the strat in these cases. They are instant cast, so you don't lose swings, they cost less mana than you regen, and you have a 22% chance of proccing Cascading Theft of Defense, a 125k melee rune, plus cascading theft of life, which can be a pretty big heal as well. Terror spamming > tap spamming unless you don't have SK epic/MC and you're tanking more than your healer can keep up, and even then terror spamming can help your healer significantly. 125k runes every 5 casts is nothing to sneeze at.
  16. Szilent Augur

This is an interesting assertion. I presume this is predicated on some spread of raid gears & strong (hDex) augments? Was your testing versus live mobs, or pumped-AC dummies? Do you have a log of duration & spells cast? Does it hold up tanking more than one monster?
  17. Axel Furry Hats OP

Most melee rounds do more damage than 250k, which is about what your lifetaps hit for. I wear hSTA augs. Instant cast things like Composite would obviously be a damage bonus. I'm unsure of Dire Testimony. I've done a mixture of live-cast & dummies. I exclusively tank more than 1 monster, however, I do weave in Insidious Rejection & Abhorrent Bargain for aggro. I don't wear shields unless I'm using Shield Flash or Deflection (I'd use a level 1 shield if it was acceptable in a raid team).

When coalition is added to a mob, then casting taps to proc it would be more DPS. Spear could potentially be used to increase DPS if you're using Gift of Quick Spear, but I usually don't even load up spear as the aggro from Abhorrent Bargain is much more useful.
  18. Szilent Augur

Yes, but knight 2h have 37dly for a reason - to wit, so that melee rounds are not lost to spell casting. It's not common practice any more to attempt "threading" casts between hits; that's mostly because it's unnecessary.

When you say you're unsure of some spells, does that mean you are sure of others? Is that based on some tests we could see the results of?
  19. Chaosflux Augur

Unless you have consistent HHE (its arguable even then, you'd need other things going additionally to the HHE), you don't lose an appreciable amount of rounds that nets a dps loss, someone made this assertion in a recent thread about paladins (and their nukes are Much worse) and it was proven wrong.

You aren't trading melee damage for spell damage, you are adding spell damage to the existing melee damage. Show your tests/parses that prove otherwise.
  20. Axel Furry Hats OP

If you aren't tanking, then yes, you are adding to your DPS. However, if you are tanking (which is all I care about, if I'm not tanking then yes, I'm casting to proc coalition, raids are the only time I don't tank), then you risk dying a lot more if you are casting with a 2hander + a lot of mobs. I don't know why, maybe you aren't riposting when casting, maybe no parry, idk, I just die more when I cast. Just go pull a train in GD, click epic and try casting vs just auto attacking and you'll see what I'm talking about. A parse here would be useless, because I'm always pulling a variable amount of mobs (in GD at least a full ETW full, in COV content usually between 4 & 8).