[Feature] How about putting patches on the Test server BEFORE the live servers ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Angahran Augur

Why is it that after almost every live patch there are reports of blindingly obvious bugs ?

E.g.
    Rat ears have vanished from every merchant.
    DoT spells are announcing 'negative healing' in addition to their normal messages.

Etc, etc.

Surely someone on the test server would have noticed this and reported it ?

And could we maybe get complete patch notes for every change ?
    No more of this "xyz was in the patch but we didn't bother to mention it in the patch notes".
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

They already do this, but testing is a voluntary thing. I play on Test, but generally only test the things that interest me. Not a lot of people use the rat ears quest outside of TLP's, so it probably didn't get checked on Test.
  3. kizant Augur

Not a lot of testing happens on Test. The patch was on there for a week. Plus these are some incredibly minor issues that I'm sure will be fixed next patch.
    Beimeith and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Perhaps on Test, DBG should issue a message in chat channels or in-game email asking the players to test particular things?

Disclaimer: I have never played on Test - so maybe this already exists?
  5. Angahran Augur

yes, so incredibly minor no dev could take 5 minutes to log into test and confirm ?

How difficult is it to log in, look at a merchant and say "oh, where are the rat ears?"
    Duder likes this.
  6. kizant Augur

I'd say it's a little more difficult than crying about things that don't matter.
    Endorek, menown, Ssdar and 1 other person like this.
  7. Angahran Augur

Just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to someone else.

Using your logic, we shouldn't bother with the test server at all and the devs should simply throw whatever they want on the live servers. Scrap the 'bug' forum too since bugs don't matter.
  8. kizant Augur

No, using my logic, you would just report these simple bugs with the understanding that sh*t happens and just wait patiently for the fix. These aren't serious enough to warrant a major response from players.
    Ssdar and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This was patched on the test server first and it happened 8 days before the live patch. Test got all of these changes on the 13th and live got them on the 21st. There was plenty of notice about the rat ears as that was announced in the test patch notes. As for the DoT spells you are right that should have been noticed in the time between the test patch and live patch.

I have included a link to the test patch notes and in the same section there is also a thread for bugs related to the patch. The problem is even if they do get it on test it doesn't do any good if people are not using the server for testing and following up by posting the bugs they see.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...7-13-2021-patch-notes-and-discussions.276387/

If you look at the bug thread there was no mention at all about the DoT bug.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/test-update-07-13-2021-new-bugs-only.276388/

As for your first complaint about rat ears if you look at the very first item in the patch notes for both the test server and the live server you will see that it is removed.

- Rat Ears will no longer be available for purchase from merchants until The Serpent's Spine is active.
  10. Angahran Augur

So, since it is so clearly noted, why couldn't a dev take 5 minutes to log into test and look at a merchant and see NO RAT EARS ?

This happens with almost every single live patch.
    Bugs that were quite often pointed out in the test patch thread simply get ignored, patched to live and then everyone is like "how did this bug go live ?" because noone fixes anything between it going to test and going to live!
    Barraind likes this.
  11. bobbin Elder

The bug was Rat Ears are gone from the merchants on LIVE servers, specifically FV. How did I find out? I was doing the Journeyman Brewer Test on one of my alts and rat ears are required for one of the steps.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

13. Mossaa Augur

If rat ears are so important for you. Why did you not spend 5 min on testserver to check this out?
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

This isn't really a new issue. Somehow, patch after patch, the data
    It's the players job to do testing now?

In the patch notes it says, "Rat Ears will no longer be available for purchase from merchants until The Serpent's Spine is active."

It would appear that something that was intended for only some TLP servers was inadvertently made global. It will get fixed I would think, but not likely to happen unless they want to bring down all of the servers again. Mistakes like this have happened many times during EQ patches. We don't like them, but veteran players kind of expect them. Personally, I think there just aren't enough testers on the job.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

16. Nolrog Augur

Do you play on test?
  17. Angahran Augur

Apparently they were important to the devs and they are PAID to do this!
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You started a thread about putting a patch on the test server first and get upset when it was pointed out that it did happen and you could have also gone out and tested it? The purpose of the test server is for players testing in order to help the devs out. There is a much larger amount of testers in the player base then on the development team.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Can someone tell me why rat ears are so important? this is a serious question i have no idea.

Andarriel
    Barraind likes this.
  20. Tucoh Augur

Access to rat ears is a basic human right! I nominate Agrahan as lead regression playertester. When one of the millions of basic things in this tired old game isn't working we can all ask him 'You couldn't spend five minutes testing this feature? What do we not pay you for?'.
    Barraind and Nennius like this.