Overseer party requirements post-patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Velisaris_MS, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

It seems they didn't just fix some issues with party member requirements...they completely obliterated them. Almost none of the pre-patch tasks have the same requirements. The easiest example is the task "Seeking the Sorcerer". The best match for the first slot on that one was always Phinigel. Now, I don't think that agent is even involved in the task...the first slot is looking for a cleric.

Not only that, but in almost all the tasks I've started, the best match available (fills all the traits) for a slot is now quite often a common agent, even in the required slots. I NEVER saw that before.

In addition, tasks that I ran all the time and could tell you the best matching party members from memory...tasks that I would always start with a 90%+ success rate...I'm now barely able to hit 80% success with the exact same pool of agents I had before.

I know they supposedly fixed things, but I do wonder about some of these "fixes."
    KarmaKitty, Jondalar, p2aa and 4 others like this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I noticed the same thing when I launched some Overseer quests this morning.

Also of note, I had my first Overseer quest failure in a year when I claimed my rewards this morning. I'm thinking they changed quite a bit internally regarding the quests.
    GoneFission, p2aa and Velisaris_MS like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

It also seems there are 2 or 3 more agents needed per each quest now.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  4. Scila Augur

That's what I was seeing. I had 1 fail on each account that never had a fail pre-patch. It took me almost 45 minutes of converts to get to 4/5 to set up. Had I not had a stash of agents to convert, I wouldn't have been able to start anything at all. Something is out of wack.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

I did like an hour's worth of conversions on three accounts (each), and still only barely managed to get a few tasks to go above the 80% mark. The same tasks that I've been running practically since Overseer began, with agents I've had for months, and more often than not coming in at 90%+ success rate.

Though, getting both new elites on two accounts after only one batch of conversions was pretty neat. :D
    Winnowyl likes this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

logged in to see whats up and didnt notice any change
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea lot more common agents can be used now and yea about phin being the best for seeking the sorcerer quest. I have noticed that the quest are using the new agents though. Yea my quest are around 88% now bit down from before. i tend to do the tradeskill and collection quests.

Andarriel
  8. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I'm not pleased that the highest I could get, matching all reqs, was 90. On 3 accounts. I was lucky to get higher than 85 on the rest. So 1 of 15 at 90. W.T.F.?

I totally get working the new guys in, and even letting us use the commons we HAD, but the reduction in success chance is horribad.
  9. cadres Augur

All the quests seem to be using far more grey agents as first choice - not sure this is a bad thing

Agreed, it's a pain to have learned all these quests and now they have all been changed completely

Also had first fails in a year+. Just as before, and as with the critical vs 'ordinary' success, there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the starting success prediction number and the eventual outcome

Meanwhile, I'm getting RSI doing the conversions... only a few hundred left to go, 8 hours' worth done
    Andarriel likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea my current 5 i got up are at 84 86 88 88 88. usually it would be 88 lowend and 95 on blood drive with the right agents. But guess we get to use more common agents now i guess lol. The newest quest i got up but taaarrr takes five agents one rare one uncommon and 3 common.

Andarriel
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Not a bad thing, but just...strange. It just seems odd to have traits on a required slot that can only be filled by a common level agent, and not an elite agent. Kinda makes having more elites pointless for a lot of tasks.

I'm not an expert on the success rate mechanics of having a common agent fill a slot vs. an elite agent fill that slot. Seems to me that using a common would actually lower the chance, wouldn't it? Unless that's the point...to lower the overall success rate of all tasks and get more possible failures.
    Andarriel likes this.
  12. p2aa Augur

Was weird yeah, I had my first critical failure ever on an usual task I was launching, right after patch when I claimed it. It had a success rate of at least 80 % +, and was either a success or critical success before. I have done 3 300 tasks total, and I had 2 failure total before this new patch, that happened a long time ago when I was starting to still build up my overseer tasks, now 2 failure and 1 critical failure.
    I thought I had just been unlucky, but seeing that it affects others too is interesting.

Also yeah, the chance of success % have gone down a lot as said by the OP.
  13. quakedragon Augur

I feel like this overseer is very time consuming.
    Be nice to have a button, sort by shortest time to complete
    Button on the quest, autofill best option
    Button the quest rewards, just give me the rewards all 5 in 1 button and first option to everything, or do same option to all.
    Feel like I could spend an hour just doing this and that's a lot of time these days. The work feels tedious. Not like LoN where it was interactive and fun, Overseer is nice but time consuming. I can see it getting bland when you got everything there is and just use it to get mats and what not.

I'm assuming this topic, the OP has everything and angry that they made it impossible? Like they have all the agents, but the toughest tasks are impossible to get the traits to match? Some of the rare agents just don't seem that good too, I agree common agents seem better a lot of the times. I know for me, this agent, is pretty much best for a lot of options, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=55728 Dark Reflection Poisoner [ Common ]
    This agent, Minotaur Lord [ Uncommon ] is like worthless, joke.

I have Nybright Sisters [ Uncommon Iconic ] and Firiona Vie [ Elite Iconic ], I hardly use either of them too. I'm guessing there traits are terrible for the jobs they do. Or the quests just never seems to make them useful. Maybe they good at 1 super tough quest, but if I never get that super tough quest, it means they worthless 99% of the time.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You're not wrong, and those are good ideas.

It's much better than it was before the changes they made last summer (sometime around then). They put the dupes at the front for conversions, and they put the agents in order of value/effectiveness for the rest of the quests. But still, if you do it for more than one account, it does add up pretty quickly, which wouldn't be so bad, except, as you said, you're doing the same exact thing every time, so it's totally boring.

When I do Overseer any more, I'm logging into 6 accounts. Takes about 15-20 minutes, start to finish. That was fine, when it was new and novel, not so much any more. Yesterday was the first day I did it on all 6 accounts since early April. Took a break from it, and then just did it on one account the last 2 months, to get a char to 115. I'll do it again for a while, to try to fill out the agents again, but will probably get tired of it before that gets done ;)
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

Not angry at the changes...just baffled by them. They make no sense.

What is the point of even having rarities when required slots are now best filled by commons instead of elites? As I said, the changes make zero sense and seem only geared toward making people fail tasks more often. The changes don't seem like improvements to the system.

Edit: Just another thought about why these changes make no sense: incapacitation

Let's say you run a task that comes up quite often...a collectible task, for example. When you have slots that are best filled by common agents, especially if they're required slots, you now know which common agents to stock up on (don't use them for conversion). Why? Because the threat of incapacitation becomes irrelevant. "Oh no, that agent is out of action for 36 hours! No problem, it's a common agent so I'll just use one of my other 7 copies of it to run the task if it comes up in the next rotation."

Before this patch, that was always the tradeoff: do you burn an iconic elite as best available in a slot to up the success chance and possibly get a crit, or do you use a lesser agent you don't worry about losing for a couple of days and lower the success chance? The threat of incapacitation meant you might not be able to do certain elite tasks that may come up. But if you're using common agents as best available, incapacitation means absolutely jack since you can use as many copies of common agents in tasks as you want.
    Ssdar likes this.
  16. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I've noticed the reduction in Success Chance since the change. Previously, running Just Another Prophecy (24 hour uncommon) I would be able to get it to like 93% success chance matching all of the traits. When I started it today, matching all of the traits, it's only at an 88% chance. Seeing how the higher level agents gave a couple more % than a common agent when both matched all the traits, I think the last few slots would need to adjust the added bonus for matching the traits to compensate for not having the higher job level bonus. This would allow for the same success rate as before using the new common agents as the best match.

Overall, I think the new concept is a good idea. The first couple slots take the higher agents but the last few slots take common agents. Previously, I rarely used common agents. Even the last few slots would require uncommon or higher to match the traits. When I would use commons, it was because other higher agents weren't available at the time or the difference between the common and higher lvl agent was only 1 or 2% and I would take the reduced chance to not risk incapacitating the higher agents.

I like that the common agents are now being utilized again but it is reducing overall success chances when matching all traits.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

I never paid attention to party member slots before this patch, because I would be on autopilot when starting them and just click the first agent that showed up for each slot, but...

Did the non-required slots (the ones with "?") ALWAYS specifically require an agent with a level 1 job? Because now they all do and the only things to use for the best match are commons. And they match 100% of the time (if you have a copy of that agent).

So now, as long as you have all the common agents (and likely multiple copies of them), all of the "?" slots will be filled by common agents that match 100% of the traits, on every task. At least that's what I've seen so far. Which is what I think is bringing down the success percentages.

This doesn't apply to the recruitment tasks (and maybe recovery tasks as well?) which seem to not follow the same party construction pattern as the normal tasks.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I'm not running into any of these issues post-patch. Not sure what the difference is. Most of my categories are level 2 or 3 on both accounts and both servers I do Overseer on. I'm having less issues with Rares not matching the quest requirements, and finding more commons match better than they did before.

Now that I've picked up some of the new agents it has gotten even better. I've hit 93% on a few quests where I only hit 91% at the highest before. I've had a couple uncommon quests that I couldn't start recently due to not having the appropriate rare, but that's only been in places where I was short on rares in general.