Do you guys actually play with new character models on?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by urbanbo70, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

What do you mean turn it on? It's simply a CPU assignment, isn't it? If it's set to -1 then it tells the OS to pick the CPU. If it is set to a non-negative value then it uses that CPU regardless of what the OS would have assigned. So you are saying that by picking the CPU yourself you can get better performance? That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
  2. Gnothappening Augur

Definitely opinion. The old model ogres and trolls were huge and awesome. The new model trolls especially look bad to me as they are too thin. As for the old vs new iksar. Old iksar looked like lizards. New iksar look like ninja turtles in the face.
  3. Triconix Augur

I normally don't set it in the ini because I like to have control of it. I go through task manager and enable it manually when I need to. I also tend to only set it to my physical cores rather than both cores + threads.

Go ahead and just look at game performance when you have CPU Affinity forcing EQ to use all cores vs a single core. The performance is very noticeable in crowded areas such as raids, POK, GL, GGH, etc.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

So then you don't use CPUAffinity at all.

/boggle

I'll try it for sure.
  5. code-zero Augur

edit eqclient.ini

Under [Default] add

StickFigures=1

perfection!
  6. Triconix Augur

...I literally just said I did. Do you not know you can set it from the task manager?

shift + ctrl + esc --> details ---> eqgame.exe ---> set affinity ---> Select cpu cores/threads you want to leverage.
    https://thegeekpage.com/set-affinity-for-an-application-on-windows-10/
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

You aren't following. These lines in eqclient.ini

CPUAffinity0=-1
    CPUAffinity1=-1
    CPUAffinity2=-1
    CPUAffinity3=-1

They are just lines of text, nothing more (as far as we know). If you don't use CUPAffinity in eqclient.ini then your argument is invalid. Of course we know we can set it in the task manager but that's not the discussion. The discussion is whether setting these values in eqclient.ini has an affect for single instances of EQ.

Now, if you want to say that you tested it both ways and got identical results, I'm all ears.
  8. suinegEQ Elder

That is telling Windows what to do. He is telling windows what to do already. It’s literally the same thing.
    minimind likes this.
  9. Triconix Augur

Sigh. Its the same thing my guy. I'm forcing the client to utilize all cores or all the cores i want it to, just like the ini file. I can show you screenshots of my cpu usage before and after, you'll see the cores I set spike up in usage.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Wow, talk about this going over peoples' heads. How do you know CPUAffinity=1 does anything at all in the EQ code?

Edit: Obviously it does but to say it's exactly the same as you can do in Task Manager is shortsighted at best.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Clearly you aren't understanding me. I'm OK with that. Let's just call it. ;)
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My 2CP, it doesn't matter as it's all about personal preference and thinking someone else's preferences are wrong is just plain dumb.
    If you are doing it for performance reasons I feel sorry for you, my now eleven year old PC manages perfectly fine even in reasonably crowded areas with hide AFK players on.

I prefer the Luclin models over the Classic models by far but both are terrible by today's standards.
    I would love an overhaul of ALL the models we have currently, as in rebuild the lot and give them way better higher resolution texture maps, additional animations, and a much improved range of alterations, hairstyles, skin colours, faces, tattoos, etc etc.
    Then give us player models v3.0

That said I would rather they overhauled the UI before they overhauled player models, I think the UI is the biggest barrier to new players, though the model & zone graphics are not far behind that.
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Both from an aesthetic and animation standpoint, the "new" character models are horrible and a disgrace. The old ones have and old school RPG hand painted charm
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

We'll have to wait for EverQuest 3 for all of that. I suspect it's coming sooner than we think. :)
  15. Karanthal Augur

Its probably a stretch to call 20 year old models that were released with Luclin new, but those are the ones I play with. The classic models were dated even at the time they were released probably in an effort to make the game available to the masses, cutting edge compute was super expensive at the time.

I ran one of those terrible internal host processor modems that used the cpu. Any time a lot happened on screen the cpu would become too busy and drop my modem connection - ah happy times redialing the internet and hogging the phoneline for hours.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't think so myself.

I think a full revamp/overhaul of EQ & EQ2 stand a much greater chance of happening than a new game in the franchise, a revamp of EQ & EQ2 might be costly but those are KNOWN money generators that have had a lot of long term success, the company can be certain it will eventually recoup that investment back from its overwhelmingly loyal fanbase over time.

Making a new game on the other hand is a huge gamble, expecially a new MMO, and especially one with such a long history like EverQuest has, it requires a large amount of investment with no guarantee of RoI, it then requires a large talent pool to not only scope it out but also to decide where it pitches itself and who it aims to attract.

I think EQ NEXT was bold enough to be a real, true & genuine successor, although I personally disliked the art direction it took, but technologically they had some amazing ideas but too many hurdles to overcome and they obviously went public way too soon.

A real EQ 3 I think will only happen after EQ / EQ2 have actually explored their potential with solid revamps and seen some decent RoI / player return from doing so, before the franchise can explore a third game I think it has to actively put it's name back on the map of the MMO community at large, not just with its current fan base. That revamp will then hopefully not just reinforce current fanbase but assist in growth & recapture of former players all helping to build up a solid case for that eventual leap to a new game.
    Stymie likes this.
  17. Vlahkmaak Augur

I use the new troll model. I used to really like the old ones but after years of playing Trolls in EQ2 I use the "newer" troll models now in EQ1.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Rhythar Augur

It's weird right now that you're deciding how other players look, and we're often not seeing the same thing as each other. It would be nice if instead you determined your own character's appearance (old or new), and that's what everyone else would see.
  19. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Funny part is... they own all these textures (some of the "gem/icon" graphics are in EQ already) :

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    (Goblin, Half Elf, Kojani human, Orc, Raki (fox), Wood Elf)

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

(Dark Elf, Gnome, Kurashasa (feline), Mordebi human, Varanthari human, Qaliathari human)

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

(Dwarf, Halfling, High Elf, Lesser Giant, Thestran human, Varanjar (Barbarian), Vulmane (wolf))

https://wow.allakhazam.com/wiki/Races_(VG)

(artwork and concepts influenced/provided by Keith Parkinson)

Now, admittedly, I know about squat when it comes to graphics in gaming or how difficult it would be to pull textures from one engine and integrate them into another. But they do have stuff they could draw upon.
    Stymie, Brontus and Skuz like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'm not normally a fan of Dwarves but I do like that one a lot.
    The only other example would be the Dwarf Slayers from W.A.R.
    Triconix likes this.