Bring Back Guild Wars!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Funk, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Porterz73 Augur

Possibly an ok idea for a PvP server but not great for anything outside of that. The possibilities for griefing and abuse would drive many players not interested in this stuff out of the game. There is an Arena if people want battles of this nature.

Lucky for me this idea falls into the Never Happen Bracket.
    nitrocutter and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Umm dont you answer your question with your own statement.. "it was turned off for a reason"? While I appreciate you making a suggestion you think would be better for the game you blindy say it is as easy as flipping a switch with no actual knowledge of that then dump on someone who says the opposite. You don't actually KNOW how easy it would be just as no one actually KNOWS how hard it would be other then the devs... and even they might actually have to spend a significant amount of time just figuring that out. *shrugs*.

It sort of helps your case if you are open minded yourself before accusing others of not being so open. Just saying.

Most who want PVP would be playing on the PVP server so why waste effort on a feature for it on the live servers when it wasn't being used much as far as I recall. I have been leading the same casual/family guild for almost 17 years. There are no longer any casual guilds even close in size to mine on our server.. who would we fight in a guildwar? A raid guild? Heh.. no thanks.

There are few guilds of any size these days and even fewer that are similar in size enough to give anything close to a fair guild war unless you are talking guilds of 10-12 toons online... of course my only experience is on xegony. But, based on that experience I don't see it worth dev time to enable the feature and my own guess is that it is not as easy as you think it is to enable it.
    beryon, Azbaelus and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Funk Augur

I don't think you actually "know" either. You spend an absurd amount of time on these forums from what I can see....telling others about your opinions then say I'm not open minded.

You obviously didn't read what I sad about a facet of the game not used. new guilds could be made just to have a little fun and pvp around norrath against each other. Guess what? You don't have to participate! So please don't act like your opinion is what matters because you are some forum god.

And like I said does anyone on these forums really know how hard it would be to enable? How much of the precious dev time would be wasted (because your opinion is what counts not others). I didn't think so. Please don't say I dump on others when I am clearly just making a positive suggestion to open back up a small facet of the game that has been closed. it's clearly you what trolls these forums for hours telling others why their opinions aren't valid.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL at least I acknowledge my thoughts as OPINIONS. You were the one who said you KNOW its a easy change

"There is nothing to work on, no time to invest from dev's. Enable the feature. It's been in the game since it was released."

That doesn't sound like an opinion to me. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me because I am just voicing my opinions. Unfortunately it seems your definition of a troll is anyone who disagrees with you.

Try doing a search on the user Corwyhn Lionheart and the word opinion. It's pretty easy to see I don't consider myself a server god and that I acknowledge my "opinion" isn't the only one on a vast array of topics. I think I have mentioned it enough to ascertain when I speak I am generally speaking "my opinion" and not claiming facts. :)

And other then stating my opinion that you were not being very open I didn't start the name calling.

Oh and btw when I do speak about something as a fact I can usually defend it with something better then it simply being what I want the truth to be as opposed to what I know about it.
    Stymie likes this.
  5. Funk Augur

Thanks for quoting a response to a comment someone else made. And I can assure you with my limited knowledge of coding that it would indeed be an easy change, easy compared to numerous other changes people post about. And yes that is a fact.

Again I will state this thread was a simple suggestion, no surprise though the forum trolls come out from under the bridge to ruin the thread. Thanks big guy!
  6. LesEQ New Member

I'm a Necromancer at Heart and think this Idea should be revived. I know Forum necromancy is frowned upon but with the state of the game is today. A lot of guilds have so much Drama in them nowadays they'd need a good beat down or two. It's like no one is social about this game anymore, I had alot of fun with PvP if taken properly it can be a good experience to strengthen a guild and the bond amongst "Family" as they all claim to be but really aren't. Thus my opinion is placed. And me and my Skelly Pet "Les" are gunna see where this one goes.
  7. Tucoh Augur

8. Nennius Curmudgeon

What is the oldest thread to ever be rezzed?
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You didn't need to necro this post as there are far more recent ones shooting down the idea still - just one is linked below.
    But if you want to see the other posts about it then use guild war as the search term in upper right search box.

I think it was best said by this comment:
    We've had guild wars in the past but never really accounted for much. Given the strength of some guilds on each and every server could crush other guilds in heartbeat, I only see creating animosity between guilds and hard feelings all around.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-is-guild-war.275588/#post-4034117
  10. Strawberry Augur

People with My-Gear-Is-Better-Than-Yours magelos in their signature are bad enough.

I don't need to see childish My-Guild-Beat-Your-Guild threads.

E-sports really brings out the worst in games. From the 15-year-old Fortnite player refusing to do his homework because he needs one more kill, to the 40-year-old MMO player needing to buy 3 PC so he can box to get ahead in a 20-year-old game.

The reason why everyone outside of PVP players hates PVP, is the same reason why everyone outside of chess players hates chess. When the game is so one-dimensional, and the only thing that matters is winning instead of interacting with the environment or socializing, it is not worth playing for anyone but the few whose life revolves around the game. Those people are not fun, nor is the game they play fun.

And one more thing, this behavior of having to lure PVE players into PVP battles, is the exact same thing that happens in other games like chess or poker. The people inviting the person to play, is the wolf, the player agreeing (often reluctantly) to play, is the sheep. The goal is not the interaction, the goal is an easy win because the invitee was carefully picked with the intention to win due to their unfamiliarity with the game.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Nennius like this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Guild wars was a myth. It never happened.
  12. Pops Racer Olde Faht

PvP in EQ is not balanced, and never was. However, that did not reduce the fun factor of team PvP.
    Vallon Zek was a blast to play, even with the drawbacks of the mechanics.

I'd be in favor of the Guild war concept - or maybe PvP enabled zones, like DAOC.
  13. gfnothing New Member

I think an enabled PvP zone would be exciting. The arena is very out-dated, I totally understand EQ pvp is unbalanced but I also understand a lot of people still enjoy the action regardless of the games mechanics. I also don't expect any of this to happen anytime soon but it is a fun idea to entertain.
  14. Ketzerei84 Elder

/guildwar still works, doesn't it?
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

I participated in one on Xegony back in about 2000.
  16. Rauven Augur

It does not, the command broke with the addition of the guild window. They never went back to fix it. Afaik the functionality may not have even been patched out. But even if it were, it'd be easy to put back in.

What I find interesting is people are actually afraid of it. It was an entirely opt-in thing. This means it cannot be abused. The way it functioned was one guild leader would challenge another guild leader for a set amount of days. They had to be in the same zone. The guild leader receiving the challenge would either accept the challenge, or deny it. If they accepted then PVP would be enabled between the two guilds for the duration of the challenge. If one side wished to concede they could make the request and end it early if the other guild accepted.

As you can see it is impossible to be abused. It has to be accepted by two guild leaders. If you find yourself in a guild that is PVPing with another and you don't wish to participate, you can simply leave the guild. Doing so would remove the PVP flag.

It was effectively a mass /duel (which still exists and likewise cannot be abused) that crossed zonelines. Nothing more.

Every reason given against having guild war is utterly ridiculous. PVP balance? Who cares, don't opt in. And then we have a silly sheep and wolf argument.. are you kidding me right now? You're going to take a stance against some harmless fun between consenting adults? And saying Chess is a dangerous game because it lures unsuspecting weak minded people into a pit of despair and depression because they lost their first encounter? I'm really hoping they are trolling, because there some serious out of game issues there if not.
  17. nitrocutter Journeyman

Adding PVP back to the game is not a positive suggestion in any form. :D
  18. Rauven Augur

Its positive for those who like to enjoy it.

I never understood why players get upset or even threatened by consenting adults engaging in PVP with one another. Its like you all are getting anxiety from watching two players wacking away at each other. Please explain in detail why this bothers you.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.