What to do during the looooong patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nennius, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

For those who haven't experienced a 24 hour patch during their EQ career, I thought a few ideas might be in order. These are my ideas. I am sure, in fact I am certain, that others will have some different ideas. So, here goes.

1. Walk outside. That big ball of hydrogen and other gases is the sun. You may have forgotten that.
    2. Go back inside and put on sunscreen as your lack of any sort of tan begins to show, and hurt.
    3. Suddenly realize that lawns do need to be mowed periodically. After finding your new, still in the box, mower, watch a YouTube video on how to use a mower and complete that once a year task:)
    4. Looking around you see that your neighbors are puzzled as to your actions. Enjoy the Epiphany as you suddenly realize that they do know what mowing is, but are shocked to see you actually performing manual labor.
    5. Watch as the dog you forgot you had runs away from you. After much thought and another video session realize that a bath and a change of clothes are in order. Don't worry. You can do it!
    6. After discovering that you have no clean clothes look madly for only slightly dirty clothes. Note: Overachievers may want to watch a video on the washing of clothing.
    7. Make your daily evening run, err raid, for fast food. While getting food be prepared for the shocked stares from the employees as they note that you have bathed and changed clothes. This is normal. Really, it is.
    8. Call a relative. They may not remember you. If so, please be sure to have some basic information available to prove your identity. Please note that a credit card number likely won't be needed but some knowledge of where you were brought up and by who will likely be helpful. Note: in the future you might want to establish a secret question for this step.
    9. Having braved the aforementioned tasks check your quest journal for remaining steps. Stop quickly and realize to your utter surprise, horror, and disgust that life doesn't have a quest journal. Send a snarky, grammatically questionable, message to anyone who might care about this issue. Feeling better after ventilating again about an issue that most won't care about, prepare for the last step.
    10. Try to go AFK, err sleep the rest of the patch away. You've earned it. You had a tough, trying, day.
  2. Leerah Augur

My plan: Sleep till 10AM. Spend two hours preparing and infusing the antibodies that keep the pneumonia away. (Love you plasma donors!) Feed and dress my handicapped son whose aide just quit. (It's easier this way, trust me.) Vacuum the first floor. Take my new Pacifica to the dealer because the AC isn't as cold as I think it should be. Check patch status. Open a Discord chat and look for guildies. Make dinner. Eat dinner. Check again. Expect it will be back up by then. Welcome any curious transfers in. Good night, Povar!
  3. Bigstomp Augur

I have a quest journal on my phone. (Reminders)
    It even has some of those items I intend to take care of one day but have not gotten around to for well over a year.
    Example: Buying another one of those as seen on TV hats you soak in water and they cool your head all day. (I purchased one for my wife, and it actually does work so I want my own).
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Check out other games in the Daybreak portfolio: EverQuest 2, DCUO, Planetside 2, H1Z1, LOTRO. (All Access benefits apply to all except LOTRO).
  5. Bigstomp Augur

GoG has a release of Diablo 1 that's been up recently. They fixed multiplayer so you can play over a lan if you share the same wifi (first option on the launcher menu, then multiplayer > ipx). Works like a charm.

Graphics are greatly improved, and it's the same old game (including the carpal tunnel inducing click for every swing)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. zleski Augur

ProgressQuest is a good simulation.
  7. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I thought H1Z1 was depreciated a long time ago?
  8. Sagarmatha Augur

Play Civilization IV, full campaign.
  9. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Had to work out of the house today, had visions of doing some EQ stuff...didn't realize it was a 24 hour patch....

[IMG]
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Couple of these also have patchs today - EQ 2 has a 4 hour one.

But none of these will take the place of EQ.

I am going to scrub the toilets.
  11. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

1. I
    2. Go
    3. To
    4. Work
  12. Jeraldo Rivera New Member

I thought we have to come to the boards and complain about how we need free stuff because there is a patch that will go longer than scheduled? Oh and threaten to cancel all our accounts.
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

Signing back up to the gym as I haven't been since pre-COVID. Getting back into the Masters Swim program. Maybe work on some of the optional home projects I keep thinking about starting.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

This is why I cannot have nice computer stuff.
  15. Dharken Elder

Well first you have to do your basics.
    Clean out old log files, delete old UIs for toons you havent had for a decade.
    Pop an energy drink open. ^That step is going to take a while.
    After clearing UI and logs, lets go ahead and remove the duplicates and update your mains back to Google Drive or other cloud based storage.
    Check your screenshots folder, You might see something for that Decade long since removed character that makes you smile.
    Update your maps.

Now that we have the EQ basics done, Lets finish that Energy Drink. Put on some good walking shoes. Go outside and explore a bit. Bow/Sword/Spell Books optional. Take in the breath of fresh air. That burning in your legs is a DoT, it will wear off soon.

Once home you can pretend like the Internet in the world was turned off. Unplug the router and turn in the cell phones. Make your kids live in the Dark Age with you.
    After the tolerable 20 minutes of this, give them back the internet and turn on the Telly.
    Okay, turn off the Telly, that was worthless.
    Browse the online game library, what is new and shiny? Nah.. Old and appreciated?? Yes please.
    Play said game for a few hours, bulk up on the nostalgia. These extended patches only happen every so often.

By this point we have cleared at least 6 hours of our plate. Throw some ideas in a hat, pull them out and see what your quest for the next hour will be.

Surprise the Spouse, take them out to Dinner. All goes well at Dinner, Spouse Faction increases by 50.

(This section after dinner has intentionally been left blank for use of your imagination and other potential non internet needed activities)

Go to sleep, You earned it, Champ. Get a solid 8 in.

Wake up refreshed, this hasnt happened since the B.K (Before Kids) era.

Claim any remaining quest rewards from the previous day that had a cool down. Snack on those dinner leftovers for breakfast.

Launch the launcher, Patch downloads. +1 to Happy.
    Server select comes up and HUZZAH! The game is up 4 hours early.

Login.
    Enjoy.
    Stymie and Jacofretless like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Try and stay cool in this heat!
  17. Metanis Bad Company

Reg put me to work right away this morning taking her Sienna in for servicing while I waited on it. Then back home where the slave driver made me do a load of laundry and burn the trash. (Yes we live so far out in the sticks that we have a burn barrel yet!). Then I did the 14.7 IOS updates to our phones. Then I realized I'm only 25% into this outage and realized the honeydew list was my future. Realized I could never do the time if I were to become a criminal. :(
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Now, I am bored and trying to figure out why there is no red disclaimer at the top of the forums about the fact that there is a patch.
    gnomeboss likes this.
  19. Gremag Journeyman

I will check server status about every two minutes, similar to opening the refrigerator door expecting things to have changed since the last time I opened it (two minutes prior).

It's a proven fact that people who don't do the work, can speed that work up by asking status from the people who do the work every two minutes.

It's also a proven fact that people who don't do the work can apply an "over-haste" to that work by adding, "Is there anything I can do to help?" while knowing full-well they can't help at all except to stay away, which they most definitely won't do.

Finally, when the work is done, I will set a meeting with all the people who did the work to discuss what we could have done better.
    Stymie and gnomeboss like this.
  20. Metanis Bad Company