Housing on TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wawadin, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Wawadin New Member

What are the chances that we can get housing unlocked on TLPs sooner? Potentially around Omens, or DoN/PoR? At that point in the game housing won't keep people from going to other new and fresh TLPs (thus not reducing your income from exp potions/bags/etc) but is at least a nice thing for your people that are keeping some of those TLPs population afloat that may otherwise just quit the game overall instead of restarting with a TLP. In fact, I think you'll get more mileage out of those people who aren't going to restart on a new TLP, with something like housing that would entice them to stay even longer.

Is it a difficulty of removing some sort of bonus stats from something that you get from housing?

Cheers!
  2. Captain Video Augur

None. Housing functionality is tightly integrated into the House of Thule expansion (I can't think of why they chose that name), and cannot be separated.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

While I agree with you that they won't change the expac, I don't really see how its tightly integrated into HoT? Also I can think of at least 2 other reasons to call it that which have more to do with the story and less to do with player house.
    1. House as in Family, ie: the House of Thule since the entire expac is about CT and his kids.
    2. The actual House, you know the 2 zones (upper and lower floors) that make up the hub of the expansion.
  4. Captain Video Augur

It never occurred to you how they were being clever at naming things in the story, even the name "House of Thule", because it was the expansion intended to introduce player housing?

Anyhow, old-school content isn't designed or coded to handle storage containers (houses) with hundreds of slots each.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Nah, personal trophies cannot be obtained until House of Thule expansion, so there's no balancing considerations if housing were introduced earlier. As for the chances they actually unlock it earlier than HoT... probably pretty low, but everyone's favorite forumquester Captain Video here is just wildly postulating at how things are "coded" to strictly prevent it from being changed. There are definitely indications that housing adds an extra layer of complexity when it comes to server merges though.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Like usual with this guy, what he is saying is a guess that he completely made up.
    Wyre Wintermute, Demetri and Machen like this.
  7. Captain Video Augur

And why do you think that is?? An "extra layer of complexity" = hundreds if not thousands of players losing items, with oodles of CS tickets, many of which never seem to get resolved. I speak as someone who has personally lost valuable housing items in a merge.

While we're at it, let's just give everybody infinite TS item storage in Classic, because that's basically what housing is. You don't think that will affect gameplay?

The whole idea of a TLP is to play the game as designed, in the era it was designed. If that's not what you want, you're playing the wrong game.
  8. Demetri Augur

Protip: Dragon's Hoard already exists on TLP and provides nearly identical function.

Dragon's Hoard has broken nothing.
  9. Captain Video Augur

Repeat that statement in the Veteran's forum and see what kind of responses you get. *facepalm*
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Great idea if the player owns COV expansion. But you do not need that expansion to play on TLP so some players may not have it.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

I don't see how "clever" naming the expansion with the word house while also including unrelated player housing translates to "tightly integrated" but ok. Again, I don't think they will unlock it sooner, there is no real reason to, but your explanation doesn't make any sense.
  12. Demetri Augur

Oh, I'd still like to see it improved, it's definitely a bit half- for my taste too - I probably have a "I'm disappointed with this" post in the thread over there too - but I don't use houses for TS items anymore, just longterm "cold storage" for old weapons and such. Dragon's Horde between my wife and I + boxes is more room than a single house ever did before - its the only thing with it's size that it is useful for.

Absolutely, wasn't assuming everyone had - just stating that the guy that was shooting down the idea of opening housing early would "break things because the game isn't designed around all that extra space for TS items and such" or whatever his exact phrasing was - was clearly wrong because Dragon's Hoard literally does the same thing (better in some regards since stacks to 1k vs. stacks to 100/20 for stackables) here and it's not breaking anything for whatever portion DOES have CoV.

Heck it's more potentially disruptive in some regards, since a house still shows up when Lore checks IIRC - whereas you can have a 3rd copy of a lore item with Dragon's Hoard (or 2 if it's NODROP, since shared bank goes out the window).
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

It's a great idea and it's available in classic though, so it's not game breaking and neither is housing.
    Demetri likes this.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

As usual I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make with this. Do you think tradeskillers are just deleting items they would otherwise keep due to lack of storage space on early TLP's? With every tradeskill item stacking to 1000, multiple banker/mule character slots available, 50 parcel spots available per character, plus Dragon's Hoard available, you think people are just running out of space without housing available? How many literal millions of tradeskill items do you think people are farming in classic?
    Demetri likes this.
  15. Captain Video Augur

Did you bother to actually read the OP? It's talking about putting housing at some point after GoD. It can't be done in Classic for coding reasons, since the zones involved attach to PoK and the modern guild halls, and they would never spend the significant development time it would take to rework that, never mind how it would affect Live servers. I was trying to suggest that by the time you get that far along in the game, the availability of housing storage would make a big difference. Not everyone on the TLPs has bought the current expansion, so no Dragon's Hoard for them. Not everyone wants to use all their character slots as mules. You also have a plethora of items used in quests or advanced recipes, not stackable, which may not be needed until much later, and if you have infinite storage space, why not just keep it...

All of this begs the question of why would devs even consider this? Every week there is some new crackpot idea from someone who doesn't like the game as it exists, and wants to rewrite its history just because it would be cool to make it different. This is the big negative of the random loot server idea, as I predicted prior to its launch: if you give players that, they will start thinking you will give them >anything< they ask for. It isn't gonna happen.

The Miragul TLP launched with housing unlocked, and it was an abject failure.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Also somewhat surprised they haven't found a way to get this on TLPs sooner (Classic ideally) considering the additional marketplace stuff they could sell to people every year to re-decorate their new guildhalls.
    Machen, Demetri and Skuz like this.
  17. Karreck Somebody

Miragul launched with the first expansion with 85 to 90 leveling. Housing just happened to be a part of the expansion.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

Your takeaway was housing was Miragul's downfall? o_O Truebox and no AoC was the biggest flaw in the heroic server, housing was not even on anyone's radar.
    Stymie and Demetri like this.
  19. Captain Video Augur

Never said that. Point was that having housing available didn't do anything to overcome that server's more systemic problems. Besides, Miragul had an even bigger problem than the ones you mentioned: virtually no one wanted it. Anything you could do starting in HoT with a group of heroics, you could just as easily do on a Live server. Progression from that point on is very linear.

If housing was available earlier, it would have no impact on holding onto a TLP's population, "keeping it afloat" as it were. There has to be enough players who want to work through each era's progression, that's always the deciding factor.
  20. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Literally nobody is suggesting that housing would make an undesirable TLP server suddenly become desirable.

It would be a nice QOL addition to add it much earlier than it currently is, that's all.
    Demetri likes this.