Make an Epic 2.0 locked server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Solstyss, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well, there's always a chance, I guess.

Agnarr had a ton of players asking for a PoP-locked server, and the Al KAbor (EQ for MAC) PoP-locked server was closed which basically meant Agnarr was the new home for those players too.

Your server idea - only a few have asked, tiny amount of demand for it compared to Agnarr.

Considering how many players Agnarr has now the idea of locked era servers beyond PoP is highly unlikely, there is simply not enough player support for it which means it would be a bad business decision to create any more, if there were a ton of players asking for it then it would be a different story.
  2. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

honestly Mangler's not too far off where Phinigel was in the same era.

Per Manglerprogress there are 12 listed guilds that have beaten Lethar.

on Phinny (per phinnyprogress), the number was 13.

The real challenge is the TBS/SoF/SoD/Underfoot cycle, but i dont anticipate the server to last any less time than phinigel did
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  3. Xhartor Augur

I don't know how Phinny was on unlisted guilds, but Mangler has some. Europa Mangler has never reported to that site as an example.

A lot of the players on Mangler have done classic-PoP multiple times and are kind of tired of it.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. RABKkehhalla Elder

Let's not lock servers. Instead let's start tlps in luclin onward.
    Genoane and Skuz like this.
  5. Elskidor Augur

Mangler had a lot of things going for it too. It was the 20th anniversary server which likely brought in more people and the previous two TLPs did not appeal to everyone. Agnaar did very well but not everyone was interested in sticking around. Coirnav was also not nearly as popular as Phinny or Agnaar so I assume many skipped it in favor of Mangler.
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Coirnav had a bad start as it had slow xp to begin with and was a carbon copy of Phinigel, people rolled on Phinigel for AoC more than anything else, the slow XP & the Truebox restrcitions were something a lot of players went there in spite of rather than because of and by the time Coirnav rolled around the usual TLP-hoppers said to hell with dealing with slow XP again and waited it out for a better XP server.

Phinigel didn't lose many players to Agnarr or Coirnav.
    By the time Mangler came around Phinigel was already deep into later-expansion player-attrition territory and had already seen multiple guild collapses & mergers.and lost only 1 (and by that time small and struggling for numbers) guild to Miragul so that probably helped Phinigel retain a decent number of guilds for a bit longer than it might otherwise have.

Mangler seems to be doing fine after Aradune/Rizlona launched and Mischief/Thornblade so it probably has had better player retention than Phinigel by the same point given it has had larger competition from new TLPs, some portion of the TLP hoppers likely may have tired of classic to pop and decided to stick around here.
  7. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Just as a note to the op. Bear in mind epic 2.0 comes out as the beginning of a bunch of expansions with very limited unlocks, 2.0 and 2.5 are viable for a very long time. And even after that it becomes an ornament you can use permanently. There's alot of content past PoP, and if you want to get to show off your epic 2.0 shiny, any Tlp that isn't a prison server allows for that. Heck 2 of them let you buy whatever upgrades you want if keeping up with content takes too much effort for your schedule.

Personally I'll ride Mangler to live or it crashes and burns, but I don't see that happening here.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah, Coirnav is a lesson to dbg and the players who say they want a super slow Xp to enjoy the ride. They don't. People want Selo level Xp or better, grinding isn't fun for most people, especially when you start getting into the thousands of AAs per expac.
    Skuz and Elskidor like this.
  9. Xeris Augur

I think a pretty high % of people on Agnarr would move to an OOW lock server. Def most of my guild, which is probably 1/3 of the server
    Anklepoker likes this.
  10. noseminer New Member

imagine playing as a caster on an omens locked server
    Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  11. Machen New Member

You just lost all credibility.
    jeskola likes this.
  12. Thez69 Elder

the thing about por is its very anti-climatic and just bad in general

the thing about omens is once you got your anguish flag and your shiny 2.0 theres not much else to do, its pretty skinny on content. I too used to look at omens with rose colored glasses but once you play it on a modern tlp its just too easy, anguish is the only raid worth doing and its an hour affair and then your whole guild logs off for a week

at least agnarr is locked at a popular expansion, with a good amount of content. Even back flagging running through the planes killing a bunch of gods sounds fun compared to redoing mpg trials over and over for alts boring everyone to death, no thx

you could always just play a normal tlp till omens and then quit, theres nothing wrong with that and your accomplishment isnt invalid just because its not frozen in time
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Machen New Member

If Agnarr players want this, maybe they should just switch Agnarr to be OoW locked and give the prisoners there a little new content, instead of wasting another server on another permanent dead end.
    Anklepoker likes this.
  14. Anklepoker New Member

I play on Agnarr. There is next to zero chance I would do any other tlp let alone live server. I will stay on Agnarr until I’m bored or get too busy irl, then quit until the Eq big bites again and go back to agnarr. Those that are on Agnarr still are there primarily bc they like the content and/or don’t want to be on a never ending gear/aa treadmill. It is a casual and laid back server.

That said I would say a lot of agnarr would very much enjoy opening GoD for 3-6 months, then OOW for 3-6, and either locking there or at DoN. Maybe 1-2 years later open DOD. That is the casual mindset of many that call Agnarr home.

I would think it cool if Agnarr became a later expac locked server but also wouldn’t think twice about dropping a good chunk to transfer 2-3 chars to a oow locked server. Said server though would likely lose a big chunk of agnarr players transferring but sooner or later all servers die. Agnarr I think has exceeded expectations. Just a matter of how much daybreak wants to keep that population going.
  15. Anklepoker New Member

I would think this should be easy, cost daybreak little investment, and have a good financial return.
  16. Piezeeko New Member

I main on Agnarr and this topic has actually been brought up quite a bit recently within my guild and friends.
    I think they should open GoD on Agnarr as I believe there's very little downside and much to gain for everyone. I'm also sort of on the fence about the idea of Agnarr possibly going as far as OoW.
    My reasoning is simple. I would like to see a locked server with all classes unlocked and GoD brings the zerker into the fold.
    I also could see reasoning and desire for a locked server to have 2.0's, which would be Omens or maybe beyond that by a little bit if 2.5's are your jam.
    I would be happy with just GoD opening on Agnarr personally, but I may be in the minority as a ton of people have their minds set on how GoD was released originally and not how it plays now, which is much better and easier.
    I think any of these ideas would breath fresh air into the server, but would it sustain like PoP has or better? I believe so IF you could get people past their preconceived notions of how the expansions following PoP are nowadays.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

For every person who would like to see Agnarr progress, there's a number (one, more, less?) who don't want it to change from its original ruleset. I don't see DPG making a change at this point for that reason. You never know, though. They've done stranger things.
    Nolrog likes this.
  18. Nolrog Augur

Does Agnarr really have the population to suggest another locked server would be viable? Is Agnarr even viable?

In the last 6 months, it has been low population 97.57% of the time and the only times it wasn't low, it was locked, down or there was an error (meaning that every time a population status was reported over the last 6 months, it came back as low.)

That would suggest that a server locked somewhere in the progression is not a viable concept
  19. Machen New Member

Curious, what's your source for the 97.57%? Is someone tracking that somewhere?
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Why not just have Agnarr unlock expansions super slow, like once every 3 years or something?

My guess is if everyone there wanted something like that and asked for it there's a chance.