Please do something about Cazel

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kaizaki, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Atomos Augur

I mean, has there ever been a forum post about Cazel before? I'd have to see it to believe it. The SK epic mob that was complained about recently is already in the test server and will be live on Wednesday.

It would be best if we could get the players to look at each and every epic spawn and determine which of them still has a silly respawn timer and then give the devs a list. Because the devs are unlikely to do something like that themselves, it's pretty obvious all these epic changes are being done on a case by case basis due to complaints.

That said, there's unfortunately still at least somewhat of a Holly "casuals don't deserve to kill Nagafen" vibe going on since the VP key has still not been made a reasonable camp.

But one step at a time ^_^
  2. Stymie Pendragon

My opinion on this thread is that Epic quests should be just that. Even though we all now know the steps by heart, and can minimize our time investment, doesn't mean that staring at a screen from 2 minutes until whatever length of time has elapsed is Epic in any way, shape, or form. Killing the mob and taking their stuff is the goal, right? Attacking the big bad with the help of my friends and winning is Epic to me. Buying the item needed from someone is a transaction.

As far as talking about DPG's time spent is concerned, it really boils down to whether they want to make the change or not. Krono prices mentioned in this thread alone will make it a hard sell. It's not like writing a raid script or creating a new spell. It's modifying a variable and releasing it on test.
  3. Captain Video Augur

No. Test is configured as a Live server; TLP-specific changes are not tested on Test, and in most cases couldn't be tested as they would function on a TLP, since everything in the game is unlocked. Even if the behavior of an NPC in old school content was changed in a Test patch, nobody is there to test it. The Live players who use Test pay no heed to TLP activity.

And it isn't as simple as modifying a variable. This is the oldest code in the game, and it's a mess. The Epic quest sequences are elaborately scripted. Only a couple of the devs even begin to understand it. The resident expert on content this old was Prathun, and he left the company almost a year ago now.
  4. Atomos Augur

Then why are Agents of Change on Test?
    Demetri and Stymie like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What exactly is epic about staring at a screen for hours waiting for something to spawn and hoping you are the one that will get the kill? Honestly there is nothing "epic" about it anymore as the mobs die really fast and it is just a matter of being the one to get the kill credit.
    Demetri likes this.
  6. Nyvlag Elder

The only thing that was ever "epic" about 1.0s was the fact that, when they were first implemented, none of us knew how to complete them. It took a year (more for some of them) of experimentation, sometimes hints, and a lot of time invested by a lot of people to get to the point we're at now.

That exploration is gone. Now what we're left with is maximized toxicity and commercialization of droppable and MQable pieces.

There's nothing epic *OR* fun about that.
  7. Demetri Augur

You clearly haven't dealt with DBG devs at all in any real capacity if you believe that - perhaps it's changed in JChan world - but previous was very "fly by their pants" for fixing old things.

And JChan world has been quite quick about plenty of fixes (i.e. the loot table issues already mentioned)
  8. Atomos Augur

Which is exactly why it's silly for any of these quests to stay exactly the way they were back then. Cause this ain't back then. It ain't ever gonna be back then, it can't be, it's not possible. And every single experience that has tried to do #NoChanges either always ends up being mediocre because not enough people are invested enough to play it (P99), or they end up ruining the game for so many people (WoW Classic), and some stuff inevitably gets changed anyway because of course it has to be changed. That's why TLP is such a better experience than P99, and why people will literally throw hundreds of dollars at it. Because it is a progressive and increasingly modern version of old school EQ, and is why its popularity continues to grow.
  9. Machen New Member

It's literally happened a dozen times already, every single time they've made an epic easier. People immediately move on to complain about the next bottleneck, whatever it is. Invariably.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  10. Machen New Member

Bobbybic literally did that several years ago and the devs have now fixed almost everything on his list. You guys are now fighting over things that didn't even make the (rather lengthy) list.
  11. bardybard Augur

For real... Like I said nothing is ever enough for the entitled crowd
  12. Bandzamakeherdance Elder

One person making a list years ago is a good start. TLPs are always evolving and changing. Therefore any sort of list would need to be fluid and change with the times.
  13. Atomos Augur

Sorry but "people" is just a few, I can see it myself and so can everyone else. Complaining that a spawn be reduced from ~24 hours to ~4 is much more reasonable than complaining the spawn be reduced from 4 hours to something even lower. Let's worry about that problem when we get to it, cause those 2 complaints aren't comparable.

It's pretty obvious that DBG only makes reasonable adjustments in this regard (we haven't seen any respawn timers increase, have we?) and doesn't change anything based on only a few people's complaints.

I actually don't think it is the bottlenecks themselves that are the issue, I think it is the fact that the Mischief ruleset has made farming the usual camps (efreeti in solb, king in seb for example) utterly pointless and so real Krono can only be made in places like this.

You can say that people move on to the next complaint after one is fixed, but I think DBG does the same thing. The Mischief ruleset has for the most part, been a great boon to the game, but now new problems have arisen and DBG may move to fix those too.

Regardless, Bobbywhoever can make all the lists he wants, he's only 1 person, and isn't the end all when it comes to what needs to be changed.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

How dare you.

FWIW, I've tracked the last 6-7 kills and the window seems to be much closer to 21 +/- 3 . Allegedly one died earlier this morning which would not follow this window but still far more narrow than the 2-23 window that is parroted from a random Alla comment years ago ;).

Fully support this being reduced to something like a 4-6 hour window, I don't believe it should be added to the random table as he is a static "guaranteed" spawn unlike Berg/Gimblox but if it's easier on dev resources to do the random loot thing that would probably solve the issue as well.

I had never done an enchanter epic prior to this server so when I made the recommendations on some epic adjustments literal years back I wasn't aware Cazel had such a long repop timer on him because it had never come up before, similar to Kurron Ni for SKs. And unfortunately nobody else pointed it out either so we gotta wait for a reactionary fix instead of proactive.

If you are an ENC and still need this piece I would just assume that a fix will be coming, but when is the real question. This thread got a lot of traction which usually gets things resolved on the sooner end but if they can sneak it into this weeks patch or not is still up in the air.
    Sourire, Demetri and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  15. bardybard Augur

Sush, you are but one person
  16. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

Your analogy isn't quite right.

It's more like "I bought a car with flat tires and then complain about the flat tires"

A server is alot like having a house.

If you have a big problem, let's say your AC is broken and you have to get a new one, then you focus on getting a replacement. Shopping quickly for companies to provide the service etc.

You completely ignore that leaky toilet or the light bulb that is out or 100 other tiny issues, because the BIG problem is getting all your attention.... but when you solve the AC problem, you start noticing the small things.

The best thing to do is NOT fix the big problem, because it avoids getting complaints about 100 little non-problems because everyone is focused on the GLARING big issue.

Enjoy your Server :)
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If there are any problems at all on a server we should just get rid of the entire server because it is now a bad and useless server? If we see an issue we should just ignore it because that is the way it is meant to be?

What is your problem with someone pointing out an issue that they see with hopes of making the game better? And from what I gather people are enjoying the server because the rules are a nice twist on the game and something we haven't seen before
    Demetri likes this.
  18. Demetri Augur

Considering just before you WE LITERALLY HAVE THE PERSON THAT STARTED THE RABBLEROUSING THAT LEAD TO THE CURRENT EPIC CHANGES stating that he didn't foresee Cazel being an issue here, I'd like to know how "I bought a car with flats" when they were literally invisible is a flaw on the "buyer".

If it's a slow leak that the seller had inflated just before the sale to make them appear functional, guess what, lemon laws cover that and the seller has to remedy it.

No, this was an unforeseen mishap, even by those (Bobby) that were looking over things with a fine-tooth comb because of the obvious pain points that existed in the epics - that were addressed directly or indirectly due to things like the RNG tables.
  19. Atomos Augur

Thanks for your prior list, and your support for Cazel.

For the record I meant that 1 person's complaint/list won't make a difference, players have to come together and get behind it as well, not that you're a nobody and nothing you do matters.

Definitely part of the problem, this game's community is one of the least engaged I've ever seen (today anyway, it didn't used to be that way). I imagine it has something to do with the lack of proper forum moderation when compared to other online games. A great deal of the nonsense around here wouldn't be allowed to exist elsewhere.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  20. jiri_ Augur

The problem with it is that it's an unarguable proposition made from a position of ignorance. There's literally nothing that can't be dismissed by saying "too much dev time". None of us work on EQ, none of us have touched the database, and as a result any guesses we have about dev time commitment for a particular task are just that - guesses. We should leave that, I think, for things that the developers themselves have confirmed to be too much time; for example, implementing an ornamentation system where pieces of equipment can be turned into Type 21 augs.
    Demetri and Nyvlag like this.