Remember Combo Clash?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ketzerei84, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Ketzerei84 Elder

Duder likes this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Because there were only so many "slots" coded in what holds the available race/classes, and they have been used up now. That and the balancing is all manual and would take them at least a year at this point with staffing just to add one, which would take a large chunk of design out of an expansion.
  3. Ketzerei84 Elder

this displays an utter lack of knowledge of how programming actually works... I coded this myself in the rof2 client in about 45minutes, most of which was spent teaching myself how to code it
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Cool dude, why don't you apply for a job and show the developers how to do it?
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, it's amazing how so many of the world's greatest coders post on these forums!
    nitrocutter and Nennius like this.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

enable64BitClient=0 needs to be changed to enable64BitClient=1. Where is my Nobel Prize?
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

On it's way !!!!!
    nitrocutter likes this.
  8. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I still can't believe Wood Elf Beast Lord beat out Iksar Berserker and Dark Elf Ranger...

I don't think they hit the hard code limit for race/class combo's. They have hit the limit for Races and Classes individually so we won't ever see any new ones of those, but Combo's should still be an option. Based on previous Dev replies it is a time consuming task still. Between updating Items to allow the new combo, adding new quests/NPC's and everything else that goes into it, we probably won't be getting any new ones anytime soon.
    Ssdar likes this.
  9. Ketzerei84 Elder

What I did, simply enabling them, doesn't take long. There's no hard set limit for race/class combinations. There may or may not be for actual races and classes. However, there's a lot of backend work to make it a polished product for the live game. Simply enabling the class is fine for a screw-around . For the game itself there is, as Sokki mentioned, a lot of other work like updating items across the board in the database, adding in quests and quest npcs for things like newbie armor, hometown guildmaster, etc(although, to be fair, they bypassed most of this when they made froglok monks a thing by simply locking them to crescent reach)
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Easy fix - cancel wood elf beastlord and do it again.
    Fenthen likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If there is one thing you learn about polls it is that they attract the participation of people who enjoy spoiling things for everyone else.

Wood Elf Beastlord won the vote, the vote wasn't rigged by the devs (one reasons devs hate polls is how much people abuse them out of spite instead of voting honestly & in the spirit of the poll and then blame the devs for the bad results created by so many players being jerks).

Part of the issue was the way the poll was done, with knockout stages, often those whose favourite had lost out then voted in the next stage against whatever beat their choice.

Lot's of Rogues that hate Berserkers wanted to pee on the Iksar Berserker Campfire, lots of everyone that hates Drizzt Do'Urden fanbois wanted to pee on the Dark-Elf Ranger campfire - I recall reading so much of their glee at spoiling the poll, the "poll trolls" won in the end.

Overall I think the combo clash did not work out well. And I would rather they added new race/class combos over time anyway rather than a poll, if a poll is anything it should be a long list of combos that are going to be added and all the poll decides is who they roll out next of that list until the list is completed.

I know that classes are hard-limited to 16 & races are hard-limited to 16, but that should still allow for a max of 256 variations - the exceptions are for races with no robe graphics - though they could just use cloth tunics anyway and some class animations are not available to some races (flying kick?), otherwise its some pretence based on racial lore.

Player-race Illusion availability being expanded / made easier through itemisation / quests would arguably cover some combos but its not quite the same thing being in an illusion as being that actual race/class combo.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Barbarian paladin ftw
    Skuz likes this.