Time to raise AH maximum auction values

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shnikins, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Riou EQResource

Seemed like they had a 2 million plat limit on selling/buying from vendors too and they wanted to introduce Marcia Attimigold and make her charge like 30m plat for things
  2. Velectril New Member

Add a Price2 32-bit field to the db with a default value of zero, then OR the values together with a bit shift. There's plenty of other options, some of which have been mentioned in this thread, to do it without converting server/client to 64-bit. I think it's more a matter of just not really wanting to do it, or worried about what else will break from doing it. While it would be nice, I'd rather have the existing monetary values formatted with commas than having higher ceilings. :p
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

plat squish!
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Niskin and Svann2 like this.
  5. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Easy fix, allow people to use krono as a bazaar currency also.
    Fenthen likes this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

Nobles had nothing to do with Bazaar price limits. It was to try and suck plat out of the game with the wandering NPC selling old rare items for insane prices. They floated players could use them as currency but it came with a tax and when everyone figured out how much you loose buying them...well you can see how popular they currently are.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Slightly pedantic (didn't someone accuse me of that?) but they can do it now, it's just not worth it. They can use two 32-bit numbers to create a value greater than 2 billion (signed) or 4 billion (unsigned). That could be a lot of work depending on how deep those changes have to go.

That's all assuming they can't use 64-bit integers. It's unlikely, but if they are using an old compiler it is theoretically possible.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

This seemingly never ending discussion (there have been multiple threads about the same subject) reminds me of the arguments for and against having larger bags in-game. It was said that it was quite difficult to do and was unlikely to happen. But, it did happen and we have much larger bags in-game. When the folks at DPG have enough time/resources/interest to deal with it, it will happen. From a players perspective there seems to be a fair bit of interest in it. Perhaps one of the currently in-training new hires will make it happen.

Now, back to the pervasive lag issue...
  9. Stymie Pendragon

I did a little research on it and turns out you're right. I knew about the tax part, but there was more to the story. I found an old post talking about them that I thought was interesting.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/nobles.213741/
  10. Bardy McFly Augur

So only allow auctions to go down to gold. That frees up 2 more 0's which is more than adequate for most situations. Bazaar resets on server reset so they don't even need to write a cleanup script.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would still likely be a large change for them to do because of how the prices are stored in the backend. Even if they did say you could not use silver and copper the game would still store it as copper.
  12. Bardy McFly Augur

It is an incredibly simple change. There would need to be a few places that would need adjustment to compensate (UI and actual transaction code spots), but this would hardly be rocket science. There wouldn't need to be any changes to database schema at all. At worst a stored procedure tweak, if they are even using those. Purely code would likely handle all of this. Given a modern codebase (lol), this is the kind of change that could normally be done in just a couple hours.
  13. Warpeace Augur

Man, you need to go and work for them and fix all this.

Who knew it was so simple.
    Act of Valor and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it is an incredibly simple change why have they not done something like that already? They have said many times in the past that the issue is how the data is stored in the backend and a simple UI change to change how it is displayed to the users is not going to change anything.

A change like this is going to impact every merchant in the game not just people in the bazaar.
  15. Dharken Elder

If we cant up the cap feasibly, maybe adding another currency in (I mean, we get this with each expansion?) that is a higher form of plat.

Take the noble for example. If they code it to be worth an exact amount both bought and sold, (say 2m as our current cap?) then add it to the bazaar price menu.

Something costing 3m plat could be 1 noble and 1m plat.

I hardly think they care about inflation cost, if people need more cash, people buy a krono now. (love that pay to win crowd!) it may be limitations, it may be man hours required. At this point I'd rather see a DLC setup that is a year of dev time in to improvements of old content and capability, more so than rehashing the expansions.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That was part of why they added noble's to the game and I am guessing there was a reason it was not added to the bazaar system as method of purchase.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

Yes.
  18. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

They said when Nobles were created that the buy and sell prices could not be the same due to how vendors/item values are coded. The current buy/sell price for them is the minimum difference in price they could do with the current design/code. If they could of changed the Bazaar to use them in pricing items, they would probably be pretty popular and used quite often. Since we can't set item prices in Nobles, they have been pretty useless except for the few people who buy stuff off Marcia.
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Zarkane New Member

20. Bardy McFly Augur

You're not understanding what I'm saying even though I spelled it out. I'm doing my best to not talk like a developer. This won't affect other merchants at all. It's simply treating *only* bazaar seller prices in the database as gold instead of copper when a seller lists an item and a buyer buys one. The database stores a gold value instead of copper. That frees up 2 decimal points.