Time to raise AH maximum auction values

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shnikins, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Shnikins New Member

Past time.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

They added the AH originally because seller spam became so spammy it was a problem. This is the measure.
  3. Febb Augur

AH? Do you mean the bazaar?
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I wonder where you got the idea of "auction house" from. Sounds like from a distant, simpler time.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

They could use the Dragon’s Hoard as a concept for a new Bazaar.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you mean the bazaar they have explained many times in the past why they cant. It has to do with how prices are stored in copper in the back end and they can't exceed 2 billion copper due to 32bit limits.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As Waring said, and this has been said repeatedly, until we have a 64-bit client the current limit on Bazaar prices simply cannot be raised.

Even were the client 64 bit I'm not entirely sure prices should be allowed to go higher, maybe a cap is a good thing.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Waring is right that money in EQ is stored as copper in a 32-bit integer which has a limit a little over 2.1 billion for signed values. However, it is certainly possible to use a 64-bit integer in a 32-bit program. You don't need a 64-bit client for that.

The issue is more that changing it and making sure it doesn't break anything would take a long time, and the benefit is relatively small. Some may even argue that having a ceiling helps keep inflation in check, at least somewhat.
  9. Bobokin Augur

2 million is just fine. Increasing it would bring inflation from the players that bot their way to hundreds of millions of plat. Is that what we really want?
    Hellowhatsyourname and Skuz like this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Players have a hard enough time reading the 200000 err 20000000000 amount now, can you imagine if it had more zeros???

Although I think a slot for krono would be cool so you don't have to do it via trade option in /buyer
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

Came here to say this; there is another consideration.. 64bit math in a 32bit app is slower. This won't REALLY cause a problem like it would in say combat as those calculations just wouldn't be done too often but its something to consider too.

They could make it an unsigned int32, giving us a 4mil cap. They could also re-base the marketplace off plat giving us a 2bil cap. They do have options, I think their inaction on this is as much your last point as anything.. they don't want to because it helps keep prices down.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Pretty sure they are already using 64-bit in math related to NPC HP so it is being used elsewhere in the game. As for your suggestion of changing it to a unsigned 32-bit in I don't see how that would be any less work than changing it to a 64-bit int. Even if it is a little less work they would still need to change it to a 64-bit int later on making more work for themselves.

The idea changing it to use plat on the backend also likely requires a lot of work to change and not impact all merchants in the game. It will also have an impact on all server economies by setting the minimum price at 1 plat when early on in the bazaar on a TLP items will sell for under 1 plat.
  13. Tucoh Augur

I don't know if devs peddled this out previously but it's nonsense. It's like me telling my wife I cant restain my deck until i buy the new power washer I've been looking at. Yeah it'd be a lot easier if i didnt have to go rent one or just go without, but the power washing isn't even the hardest part about it. Neither is 64bit math on a 32bit client.

https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/8454/64-bit-integers-on-32-bit-machines
  14. Tucoh Augur

15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

The next expansion is luclin 2.0 from what i hear so maybe there is something in store for baz only time will tell.

Andarriel
  16. Axel Furry Hats OP

Just get rid of copper. Since when has anyone cared about copper anyways?
    Gyurika Godofwar, Ssdar and Svann2 like this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

I remember it a bit differently. He said it was possible but at this time they arent going to because it isnt worth the time it would take - leaving open the option that it may be done in the future. And that post said nothing about 64 bit. And tbh its still not worth doing since it is not disruptive, just inconvenient.
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I used to drop 1 piece of copper all over EC tunnel. It was really fun to do.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

there are quests that require the use of lessor coin formats.

It would take quite a bit to change all those quests and I am sure they would keep popping up on TLP servers and result in someone screaming that it is holding up life because they no longer have the copper or silver needed for the quest.
  20. Stymie Pendragon

If it was easy to do why did they created Nobles? I thought that was the answer at the time for the limits. It sounds like more work to me than going the 64 bit conversion route.