No U.S. Carrier Phone Number: Can I not Play?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Selo_Guy, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Selo_Guy New Member

I am trying to set up a box team, but every account other than this (primary, subscriber) is requiring a U.S. carrier cell number. I use a Google Voice VOIP number on a data plan with no cell service. Is there a way to get my other accounts working? This is a stupid requirement that is only going to discourage people from playing and I will be unsubbing if not fixed.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I play from the UK, never have I needed a phone number to set up any account, and I have 5 longstanding silver/gold accounts and a very recent 6th I set up to test the account creation process for another player.

This seems very strange, I have also never heard of any other player being required to submit a US carrier phone number either.

Are you perhaps trying to enable two factor authentication?
  3. Selo_Guy New Member

I'm being required to set up 2FA. That's the problem. They'll only accept cell carrier numbers, and I don't have one of those because I don't need it.

I understand a desire to stop bots, but not everyone running multiple accounts is botting and this is just punishing those of us who aren't because someone else is cheating.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're the first player I have seen say this, not calling you a liar as this may be a completely new thing.

Your best option is to raise a petition on your working account to ask a GM to take a look into it and see why you need 2FA or help you to set this up without a regular mobile phone.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Perhaps your trying to set up too many at one time. That will raise flags and they will ask you to do 2 step.

Slow down and wait 24-48 hours between account creations.

EditL The two step verification is only put or forced on an account by the game owner (DBG) when they suspect fraud. Then it is a requirement. It is necessary for DBG to protect THEIR game.

Players may however, set it up for themselves to protect their accounts
  6. Selo_Guy New Member

Well, it's not fraud, and they're losing a sub for it (I don't need to sub to play, but choose to because I'm getting a product). It's not a matter of necessity but instead of laziness. Everyone else can fund THEIR game from now on if this is how they treat customers and I'll stick to playing for free.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its an automatic response. They have been hacked in the past. So this is one of their precautions. They have no idea who you are so don't take it so personally.

If you were trying to create them all in one day or trying to buy lots of subscriptions, expansions and Krono on new accounts then it raised flags.

Slow down and try again tomorrow and see if it works better.

If not, go the petition route.

If it upsets you then don't pay, no skin off their nose.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  8. Selo_Guy New Member

The accounts are created. I played on them for hours a couple of days ago. This just popped up yesterday. No botting, no passthrough key clicks, AFK flag and no action I stepped away.

Again, my issue isn't even with the 2FA or that I was suspected as a bot. My issue is that my perfectly valid phone number won't work because I have brains enough not to waste money on a cell carrier when I don't need one. Call me. Text me. All good. But let me use my phone if you want me to use my phone.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I suggest you join Discord https://discord.gg/NX2dU8Eu and PM an employee there.
    Your need to do anything with a phone sounds suspecious to me.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Requiring 2 step is legit when there is suspicious activity on or with an account.

It can also be the wrong error message sometimes if an account was banned.

And there was a system issue just last April which was giving out that message as an error - same time email verification were failing and they are now also.

So unless the petition is answered and op posts the results here, we will never know. And can only guess.
  11. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Hope he / she updates us on the topic ;)
  12. Zigie Journeyman

Have you tried turning it all off then on again?? Rebooting and trying to make accounts 1 at a time?

Have you tried setting up the accounts on another browser? or incognito mode?
    Disabled all the extensions?

Did you need to use a phone number for the main account?

They don't offer 2FA setup with an app like authenticator ONLY via texting? Yes you can always play your accounts for free...unless you'd like to come play on one of the TLPs, then you need a sub.
  13. Selo_Guy New Member

The update is no one on staff has posted and I still can't use my Google Voice number, which is the only number I have. I'm just going to assume they won't accept my credit card either and cancel my subs.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They are not going to respond here, they would respond to the petition. And sometimes you need to "update" the petition to keep it active. I have seen it take longer than a week for some issues.

Hopefully you did file a petition. It would have to have been thru the account you can access and clearly explained it was for the other accounts.

A week has passed - you could try making a new account not related to the others. Don't try to make it on a TLP server. Make it on a regular server first and then once created you can go into account management and set up your credit card etc.

The only account you would need to cancel if you chose to go that route would be the one you pay for. And make sure you cancel thru account management and the cancel button otherwise it might cause future issues.

Btw are these accounts in the US?
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Slasher Augur

Unfortunately they will not let you use a google phone # its stupid because not everyone has a cell phone.
  16. AndrewG New Member

having the same issue. one of my 3 accounts suddenly got a message about unusual activity and need to do the verification. will not accept my Canadian phone number.

i submited a petition and that was 2 days ago still no response.