Help with Griklor (mission)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xotor, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Xotor New Member

OK, Griklor is the last event I need for the Eastern Wastes, and I have yet to beat it. I run a group of Paladin, Mage, Wizard, Enchanter, Druid, and merc cleric all 115 and in snowbound and TOV tier 1 items. To keep my group together and not get some stuck in walls, etc. I shrink them, group levitate them, and park them in the path of Griklor so he passes overhead of all of them, then I wait for him to land, turn on my ADPS, burn him to about 60%, and fight 1 or 3 adds. Between the merc and druid/paladin group heals I last to about here, but then usually wipe because the cutting icefall plus more adds is more than I can keep up with. I read that Brewbeard was supposed to create a fire to protect from the icefall, but in 7 tries so far that hasn't happened (I searched my logs to be sure). Has that been removed? Is there anything else I can try other than "Get Gud", which has a zilch chance of happening, or should I just go on and skip it?
  2. Szilent Augur

Absent details, it sounds like managing that whole gaggle is substantially encumbering your effort. You may be helped by a "Less Is More" strategy, like running only mag(probably your main, from your .sig?) - enc - pal? couple dps mercs. IF, of course, you're even committed to boxing it instead of getting some friends in.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Griklor was, in my opinion, the easiest of the four ToV missions, although Restless Assault is almost as easy. I can box it with a paladin, bard, monk, two rogue mercs, one cleric merc. I agree with Szilent, you might be overboxed for this mission. Unless you can get more comfortable boxing all those characters, it could be better to use only three characters.

As for not seeing the fire, there are two or three places where it can appear. I have my particle effects nearly off, and I could still see the fire just fine. Are your graphics options too low, perhaps?
  4. Tappin Augur

The group mission is just a giant dps check. All you have to is burn him to 30% and he stays on the ground. Run to the chest and when you open it, the adds despawn. If u you don’t one round him, the second drop is short, so you need to kill 2-4 of the adds to prevent Griklor’s HP lock. The rain thing is more a mechanic for the raid, he should be dead before it’s an issue.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

If you observe, you can watch where he is before you start it, and cause him to first land in a perfect spot for your team.
    Then blow him up. I've seen plenty of parses where the mission was sub 10 seconds.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

And was Szilent says, grab a live body if you need. There are exceptions but generally a live friend blows away a box.
  7. Tucoh Augur

My vid from the fight in case it helps. This was one of my first kills on it and The fight was changed afterward to add a minimum time on the ground, i never fought this version.

At a guess, you're not gettjng enough DPS from your boxes. I'd recommend getting gamparse, parsing your next attempts and posting the results for us to look at and advise better.
  8. Valdest Journeyman

Do you use Gameparse or EQ Log Parser? I am curious what your DPS is on a regular named in EW? When my crew was low on AA's this was a very hard mission. At 800K DPS this was a challenge. I ask because if your burn puts him to 60%, you are either not casting enough while boxing everyone or lack a lot of AAs.
  9. Windance Augur

It sounds like you understand the mission well enough. I have run the mission a couple times last week for folks who were pushing to get to 115 while the 76% xp boost was turned on. Like most who do these missions now we had enough DPS to burn griklor down to sub 30% on the first landing.

The mission doesn't lock until the chest is opened so I would suggest trying to get a high DPS player to join you for the mission then swap any of your team that sits out before the opening the chest.

The other thing you could do is try skipping it and coming back when you are closer to max.

The last thing to try is to setup something like GINA or audio triggers to tell you where the campfire is going to pop up. If you are going long enough to deal with sleet you're going to have to be able to run to the fire or heal through a fairly nasty dot, while dealing with adds.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Somehow I lost my gina triggers for this event, but we still have notes in our forum for the raid and group is pretty much the same.
    Cutting icefall is the one your guy has to get under. Only one person needs to take this hit.
    Freezing Sleet is the one Bethun helps with. She should run to a spot then emote “Gather! This fire should protect you from the sleet!”. There are 4 possible spots for her to put it, in the 4 corners of the event area. If your logs do not show this emote then yea Id say bug it. Most groups nowadays just burn and/or heal through, but you still shouldnt have to put up with events not working.
  11. Alnitak Augur

Some numbers to consider for that mission:
    Grilkor has about 89 mil HP ( calculated by GameParse 2.0 beta)
    He hits about 47K HP per hit, adds hit 30-32K hP per hit. Unmitigated values.
    After first landing Grilkor will lift off in about 32-35 seconds if his health is higher than 30%.
    My several failures (which I abort if he lifts off, showed that I did max 58-59 mil hp, no failure with 60 mil damage done)
    Basically - you need to burn off 60 mil hp under 30 secs. This is a DPS benchmark to make, 2 mil DPS.
    Main tank is a BST warder, he has plenty of AC/HP to tank Grilkor, but has serious problems holding aggro. Adds (usually 3-4 orcs) are completely ignored during burn. The fight happens just inside the fort wall near Bethun.
    Once Grilkor is dead the chest spawns. My 3 toons have a macro hitbutton with two lines /target Bethun and /say leave . Usually all 3 toons leave the missions unharmed. Spawned orc adds deaggro and go back to their huts. Chest remains at Bethun.
    Now I get time to form a proper group by /taskadd all of my alts/friends or whoever. Zone back into the mission and open the chest without a fight. Don't leave the instance unpopulated for more that a few mins - it may collapse.
    If you have a plated tank you can dispatch the adds after the Grilkor death with ease.
  12. Gr8fuldave Augur

Will you expand on this please? How do you get him to land in a certain spot?
  13. aozs Augur

He flies at a constant speed in a circle around the fort before (and after) the mission starts. Starting the mission starts a static timer for the AEs to start happening. Basically there's no randomness so if you start the mission when he's at a certain position, he will always end up landing in the same position as well (assuming you're downing him in 2 AEs).

From what I remember if you start the mission when he's just left of the entrance, he'll end up landing a bit to the right of the entrance in a nice open area after the 2nd AE.
    Thunderkiks, Bigstomp and Metanis like this.
  14. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I hate DPS check missions. I box a warrior, wizard, and ranger and have ~30k AA on all three. And the highest I've ever parsed on a full burn for the whole group is about 900k. (2 healer mercs + a melee dps merc with max AA for ToV set to Burn)
  15. Conq Augur

So, you've parsed your warrior's burn at 900k. What is the ranger doing while the wizard is still casting his second nuke?
    Conq
    Tatanka likes this.
  16. Alnitak Augur

With a warrior tanking you can have 2 melee dps mercs on full burn (combined those can do 550K+ dps). 1 healer merc will be enough for Grilkor. Ranger burning provides decent adps and does good dps himself (top-geared in group gear ranger can burst 900K+ all by himself). Use your best ratio 2H with 2H stance by your warrior and use most of your offensive discs (defensive just for survival, minimum use).

Only one slacker in your group - a wizzie. Poor, poor wizzie. Always gets a short end of the stick by DPG.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

You know, it never occured to me to leave the instance to do taskadds in peace. Thanks for that tip!
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

Its only a dps check mission if you want to avoid doing the mechanics.
    Szilent likes this.
  19. The real Sandaormo Augur

If you having trouble with burning him and your getting a bunch of adds, go the other direction. Slow it down, kill Griklor down till an add pops then kill the add and back on Griklor. WAY WAY WAY slower but doable. Can save your burn till he's under 30 and no adds are up. As soon as Griklor is dead, pop the chest.
    Szilent likes this.
  20. Gialana Augur

Griklor has hp-based orc adds and time-based (every 2 minutes or so) orc adds.

When I box the mission, I setup in one spot. I only move characters when they're called upon to knock Griklor off his mount, assuming I'm not dealing with adds.

I try to kill all adds before knocking Griklor off his mount again. That doesn't always work because my group, sometimes happens to be setup at the spot where Griklor will knock himself off the mount for the second time.

Enchanter can mezz the adds until you're ready for them.

Sometimes I get blasted by the rain dmg, and other times I don't. It seems to happen if Griklor remounts at least 2 or 3 times. I have the level 109 and 114 wave of spells loaded on the paladin to help heal through the rain. I sometimes have to use hand of piety and gift of life as well. I don't think I've used Group Armor of the Inquisitor, but that would also have been an option if necessary.

Like Svann said, there are 4 possible locations for the fire to protect from the sleet in the NW, NE, SE, and SW corners of the fort area. The spots are at logs that stick up at an angle from the ground, kind of like leaning telephone poles. I've never bothered running my boxed crew to the fires because autofollow caused too many problems. I could setup at one of the 4 spots and hope I get lucky, but when I got a second sleet/rain, the fire moved to a different log.