Returning player after 18 years --- super frustrated =(

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Seiir, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Seiir New Member

So I haven't played EQ in over 18 or 19 years I guess. The last xpac I played was Velious.

I played the eq beta, and have a ton of fond memories and still play and talk to some of the people that I played with back in the day. We've all grown older, got married, had kids etc.

Anyways, a couple of us decided to start playing on Mischief ... and I want to say we've been having a TON of fun. It's amazing how much stuff you remember ... like riding a bike :D

However, a couple of us have been working on our epics ... and jesus h. christ on a bicycle what the ? I get it, rare npc spawns, etc etc etc.... it's Everquest. But I'm a monk, my friend is a cleric, and 2 of the mobs required for items are 110% camped 24/7 by multiboxers. One is the pipe in KC and the other is the crown for the cleric quest in Lake Rathe.

To make matters worse, the multiboxers are selling the items for 6krono. Which is what, $110 in real world money. I'm sure people are buying them, else they wouldn't sell them. One guy, last night, refused to sell me the item for plat, because apparently there's an active plat duping bug so people are duping plat?

But, other than Daybreak wanting to make money from people buying krono, what is the logic behind this? The TLP's release the xpacs "quickly"... the spawn time of the mobs are rare and long. It makes it near impossible for semi-casual people to get their stuff done. In fact, it's down right frustrating.

Why not make the mobs spawn more ... or make an npc like the agent of change that could spawn an instance with a chance to spawn the mob for someone working on the quest or something.

Why does /pick have to be load balanced .. why not just allow a full group of players to spawn their own pick and go after a mob? Is it really going to break the game if there's a chance for more xxxx loot off a mob? Keep the mob spawn rate the same, rare ... and let people start their own instance of a dungeon?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm having fun in EQ again, but this is just frustrating. I think part of the problem is Krono. The exchange value is through the roof. I think right now 1Krono is like 15k plat on Mischief now.

I get that it makes Daybreak money --- but in all honesty, the people buying these expensive items for Krono aren't buying Krono from DB. I mean, I saw a Azure Sky robe for 18krono ? Insanity.

---Rant Over---
    Allworth, Fallfyres and Celestian like this.
  2. bardybard Augur

You can buy krono with plat from other players.
    Your other questions have answers on these forums, you can search for them.
  3. Gnothappening Augur

And it is still easier than it was originally. Originally there was one pick. Mobs were on longer spawns, etc. I remember helping a buddy camp raster back in the day. He and I took shifts and we camped that spawn for something like 72 hours straight before we got it.
  4. Berg New Member

I appreciate your frustration, and I was in a similar position the first time I did a TLP server. Having now done this a few times, though, I have a better understanding of how the economy works for items like this.

Prices are always higher when a new expansion drops and then drops as the items more widely disperse. The metal pipe won’t go for 6 Kr forever. Just be patient, and the price will go down. Find something else that people want to buy, and farm it, and then sell for plat or Kr and trade for one.

For example, there are a few weeks early in Kunark when everyone is buying green goblin skins for Chardok faction. If that time hasn't passed on Mischief (it may have), then farm them in bunches and sell them.

Join a guild. Go on raids. You’ll get items you can sell for Kr and then you can buy the epic pieces you need.

These two new TLPs are all about a free market economy. Find a way to make Kr and then you can buy what you need.

Oh, and welcome back to the game. It really is a lot less difficult now than it was 20 years ago.
  5. Atomos Augur

Certain respawn timers should definitely be adjusted, and certain epic spawns made more common. There are still remnants of old design stuff, much of which has been changed over the years to be less extreme and hardcore, but much still remains to be updated. My guild tends to group up in these situations, if the Krono farmers get even the slightest hint that they may be wasting their time, they will leave.
  6. Seiir New Member

Just hard for me to get that many together ... it's a boring camp =/
  7. Curn New Member

8. Aegir Augur

Wanna get groups and levels fasts, go mischief. Wanna get your dream quests completed, go Thornblade. Chaos reigns.
  9. Machen New Member

I mean, they have adjusted a billion respawn timers and epic spawns already. If the monk and cleric epics, which used to be two of the easiest and most commonly completed epics, are now the squeaky wheel, they are probably doing exactly what you're suggesting.
  10. Cainen Augur

KC pipe CAN spawn in DZ, so if you know you're not going to kill VS for a week, pop an instance and pray he's up. OR pop a few instances and have the monk join the one he spawns in.

As for the crown, I recommend super late night PST, got 2 crowns in 3 nights that way.

It is frustrating but there are some work arounds for getting the items you need.
    minimind likes this.
  11. SleezerGeezer Elder

You want an epic on Mischief, either be in a ruthless guild that won't hesitate to use ruthless tactics to get their camps or buy the drops with Krono. Neither choice appeals to me, so I don't even worry about epics on TLP.
  12. Celestian Elder

And that might matter if we were still having a year between expansions and a lot less people working on them all at once.

With 2-3 months between expansions and a LOT more player congestion it really needs to be looked at. Having a out of game currency broke all of it to hell and back on top of it.
  13. bardybard Augur

Should they keep adjusting epics until they just random drops from trash mobs?
  14. Celestian Elder

Do you ever post anything useful or do you just roam through all the new posts posting little jabs to work on your edge lord level or what?
    Demetri, Stymie and Seiir like this.
  15. Atomos Augur

16. Seiir New Member

I understand this. However -- according to everyone I've talked too, there's plat duping bug and Krono's are selling for 16k right now. I do have some plat saved up, but nothing close to that.
  17. bardybard Augur

Yes
  18. Kylo Classic Augur

Some people got older, some people didn't marry, some people don't have jobs, they all want money. So they force you to buy things in krono which they sell on the grey market for cash.

You could wait until next xpac to do your quests.
  19. Metanis Bad Company

Roadblocks like the OP is reporting are prime reasons you have armies of botters on TLP. Resolve the roadblocks and they'd have fewer problems with botters and rmt garbage. Since TLP is the really big hammer in Darkpaw's profitability toolbox they should want to fix these things asap.
    oldkracow likes this.
  20. minimind The Village Idiot

I agree and disagree. The reason you have botters is the profit motive. They have derived a way to make real world money by illegitimately depriving people of the opportunity to play the game as it was intended. They're like scalpers... but for gameplay.

Daybreak has the ability to end their exploits, but I don't think they've figured out how to do so without a significant hit to their bottom line.

Literally the best thing for everyone would be to stop giving them business, but the scalpers know well that the population on these servers have a higher-than-normal need to progress within the game, so the market remains.
    Stymie likes this.