Classic/Kunark Hunter Achieve Thread

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bobbybick, May 18, 2017.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

[IMG]

You'll see from the pic that the named have a significantly larger roaming area than normal mobs. So you could sit in the yellow circle for example and not see Grazhak's PH for 30+ mins because he is across the zone, that's what i mean about running around clearing roaming PHs. You COULD sit at the 3 ways where lines intersect as almost all the roaming named will eventually walk through there, but because the PHs are on 1 minute timers and the walk pathing could take 5-30mins for them to get there you are going to be much better off picking a spot at the BEGINNING of a line and sitting on it.

Once the PH has been killed, it will always repop in the initial circle/square respective area and then path out along a very specific route so you can just sit on that route. I don't know which one Syythrak spawns in.
    code-zero and Astral64 like this.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Thanks again. I'm struggling between killing his potential placeholders in the northwest, because that's where I've seen him before, but that takes up all your time. Camping at the crossroads will take a lot longer, but you don't need to be so active. What a dilemma.
  3. AvrusBane New Member

So I am ONE rare away from 100% vanilla EQ hunter achievements and I am getting crazy frustrated with this last kill.

Is there some trick I am missing for spawning Timbur the Tiny in North Karana? I have been killing every single thing throughout the zone for weeks now and nothing. Been looking for any info I can get my hands on and so far the only thing I can find says maybe be is a triggered spawn. If so, what triggers him? I want out of NK so bad. Does anyone have any ideas?
  4. Astral64 Augur

Some of those old hunters are brutal. The Karanas especially so.

Just keep at it.
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Both times I did NK, it did not seem to matter what you killed to spawn the named. There were no unique spawn timers (1min vs 2mins for example) and when I did kill a named (Lieutenant whatshisface) I followed the cycle for another 15 repops and the subsequent repops spawned all over the zone with all manner of mobs on it.

The p99 writeup for him is NOT accurate, it may have once been, it is not anymore.
  6. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I finally knocked out all the dungeons in original Everquest (except Temple of Cazic-Thule) so now I get to look forward to half the outdoors zones. Lovely. Standing at the 4 way in Rathe Mountains still has not gotten Mortificator Syythrak to show up, I don't know how long I can keep at this before going nuts.

A fierce impaler probably took me over 100 respawns to get him to show up. Kedge was awful all around.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yup that mob gave me the same problems not a fun mob to spawn!
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

In all the time i was doing nk hunter i only saw him once (korvik i only saw once too) but on tiny im thinking like grim he only spawns at night time least thats when i got him and probably off the uncommon spawn of hg's. Whats funny my wizard got grimtooth like 3 times by running into him and my ranger took like 3 months off and on before he saw him eq can be realy nasty on rng sometimes. swiftclaw i saw like 20 times lol and i looted enough skins to make like 15 pres quivers so it wasnt all bad sure lot better than sk at least.

Andarriel
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

So it worked! Syythrak down. Killing all the pathers at the 4 way does indeed work for him. Thanks double rares, and everyone helping me out.

edit: For what it's worth, he was pathing from the cyclops/giant skeleton/lizard hill in the northwest.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Okay, so Narra is my only named left in South Karana. I know she shares a spawn table with Brother Qwinn. Is there a method to getting them to spawn other than to kill everything that is on their spawn table listed at Alla?
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I just killed stuff on the west wall going up and down (north and south) and just hope she spawns over brother quinn (saw brother like 12-15 times total during my sk hunter at least on fv the robe sold for decent pp along with pegasus cloak saw that mob like 30 times). I didnt get her for the longest time then i got her to spawn like 3 times in 40mins back to back spawns was very surprising saw her a total of 4 times before i got sk hunter done. just gotta keep at it for awhile though i never see her my last mob i had to get was synger was so mad at that mob that after i got her i spawned her two more times so i could kill her haha. Glad to be done with that zone. Two worst zones are south karana and jaggedpine forest and then north karana. glad to finally get my norrathian achievement.

Andarriel
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Narra Tanith was the worst in South Karana in my experience. I have a bard with max tracking. While she can be theoretically camped because she has that 60-66s respawn time, the problem with her is that her respawn area is enormous. I would have to kill a spawn near the Aviaks, only to have to guess if she respawned within range. When I finally got her, she had respawned near Lord Grimrot's camp after I had killed her placeholder as far south as possible towards the aviaks. My tracking didn't show her pop, I had to guess she spawned out of range. That sucked.

I guess I'll start working on North Karana or maybe Cazic. Cazic looks daunting because it has like five hundred named. I miss the days when CT dropped rubicite.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Timbur is an easy one. Just go to the gypsies, set up camp by the waystone thing at the crossroads in between the gypsy camp and EK bridge, and just kill all mobs that wander past the stone in a small circle around it.

The PH roams there so you will eventually get it.
  14. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

On spawning the Burynai Cutter & Scourgetail Scorpion

Having attempted to bag these two shy mobs over many years I realized a methodical approach was warranted. Reading everything I could on these mobs & the spawn system for the Field of Bone I decided to take a different approach than that proposed by BobbyBick simply because I did not want to try and round up all the mobs, AE them over and over.

This can be done without a tracker but is immensely more time consuming and much more work.

FACTS:
    There are mobs that instantly repop (these are NOT the rare placeholders) and mobs that repop after 5 minutes (these are the rare placeholders)
    Each repop can be basically any of the types/mobs i.e. burynai, iksar, scorpion, undead, etc from what I saw
    There are 50-100 spawn points and I think any can generate either an instant repop or 5 minute repop/rare mob. No specific spawn points for named that I saw although they may exist if one observes the spawn tendencies over a long long period of time. Some of the spawn points may be exclusive 5 minute respawns and the rest exclusive instant respawn but I didn't track it closely enough to determine that.
    I did notice when I used my method below I would occassionally get a last mob that would only instantly repop as Iksar...that was odd

METHOD:
    Reset the field of bone mob population to one type...I chose scorpions. The geographic area is from the Kurns ramp north, all areas east and the southernmost boundry is the first ramp on the east side of the pit opposite the Kaesora wall. It took me about 2 hours as a pet class keep killing all non-scorpion mobs and leave alive the scorpion repops...eventually everything was scorpion. This itself could spawn the rare but don't count on it.
    Once the entire spawn was scorpion I killed one single scorpion. It it repopped instantly in the geographic area I outlined I would keep killing the repops until another scorpion popped. Then, pick a different scorpion and rinse repeat until I found one that had a 5 minute repop. Then I would keep killing the 5 minute repops until I got my named which, on paper, could take forever due to the 1% spawn rate.
    With this method I killed the Scourgetail Scorpion in about 13 hours with a few breaks here and there.

You can accelerate this process by picking a SECOND mob type to allow to live...although a bit more complicated. You can make scorpions your base mob and allow iksar manslayers (for instance) to live if they are respawns. That way you won't accidentally kill an insta-respawn mob you cycled through before. This will allow you to find more than one five minute mob to "camp" improving your chances of getting the rare named.

This is a complicated spawn system for a newbie zone and I'm sort of surprised the original zone designers utilized it.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  15. Izzard of Bertox Augur

A typical 4 hour slay fest in western Jaggedpine pasted into an excel spreadsheet and filtered for "You have slain".

On a hunt for Jerg Oakenfist.

169 a black pinewolf!
    4 a dryad!
    41 a giant anaconda!
    2 a great kodiak!
    265 a greenwood bear!
    107 a greenwood grizzly!
    242 a grey pinewolf!
    1 a savage pinewolf!
    199 a timber griffawn!
    49 a timber griffon!
    40 a treant!
    111 a willowisp!
    If it's working as intended, then I just dont understad the mechanic of this rare MOB
  16. MischiefTLP Augur

1230 kills and 3 named which is presumably broken down to 372 bears and 2 named, 411 wolves and 1 named, 248 griffons, 111 wisps, 41 anacondas and 40 treants and no named and 4 dryads you didn't really intend to kill.

Get a tracker and only kill Treants for an hour and see how many more you kill than 10 since Jerg drops Treant items.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Problem is treants dont always spawn (can kill treants and get some other type of mob to spawn) and the bad news is two rares treants can spawn off normal treants. im thinking wisps are ph for treants. There's a reason jagged is one of the toughest hunters zones in all of eq.

The worst part of it all there's absolutely zero no achievement reward for all of this which is stupid. I guarteed someone can get all the NoS rares done before they can this zone.
  18. Izzard of Bertox Augur

I have been in Jaggedpine for hundreds of hours and I have killed tens of thousands of MOBS .... No Jerg Okenfist to be found.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea its not a bad zone unless your doing hunters! haha You can basically finish off expansions before you finish this one zone.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

So how many treants have you killed and how many times have you seen an ancient treant?