What QOL things would you like to see added to EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gyurika Godofwar, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

3 days ago, we bought a heroic SHD and used it to farm twink gear for our family guild that was afk until Selo server merge made playing there worthwhile.

We also play ESO and Used to play WoW.

I like EQ better. Endlessly scaled mobs is a rat grind. My absolute favorite /feels/ in Everquest is getting to a camp and using all resources to beat the fist cycle, and hours later having it on farm. That is a sense of advancement.

ESO is just a race to level 50 and 160 Champion points or . (and can be done in 4 hours)

Level 115 in EQ is saying something.

The continued viability of say.... Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt, Smoldering Brand. Swiftblade of Zek, or that Lodizal Shell Shields still sell in the Bazaar at 20 years in is priceless. I ran a level 25 ranger to loot Wicked Mail off Rumblecrush.

ESO isn't half as fun as zoning into UP at 5.5% health...but alive.

Everything is hyper leashed in ESO too, get 100 feet away and they run back to camp.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I use guild masters on classic era TLP characters to start off tradeskills. and never again after and once PoP opens, spells aren't hard to get to. PoP through live, origin is usually about getting to the PoK book and back to that lore rotloot or back to the guild hall.

Third Gate is a shlep. Ak'anon not much better (and both terribly unfriendly to newer players as well)

and FWIW, @ Tatanka, you don't even use Origin, but seem passionately against people who do.

"Non-issue, as far as I'm concerned", but I'm gonna cheese on the idea anyway.

Having a lowbie get stuck and have to origin out, then have to zone another three times to get to a PoK book, vs a race who can be at the PoK book in 20 seconds is comparatively teh suk.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Overseer should just unlock at level 1. It’s purpose is for micro-transactions anyways. Also, should unlock it for TLPs and squeeze some more dollars out of them.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Don't know that I agree with that. I've gotten tons of use out of it, and without micro-transactions.

But I agree, it should unlock at level 1, because why not?

XP? Low level chars level unbelievably fast compared to anything Overseer can provide.

Collectibles? No real use at low levels, since you'd be hamstringing your set rewards. Oh yeah, and you don't even have any AAs to get until you're in your 50s.

Merc AA? Mercs are already overpowered at low levels, and the amount of merc AA rewards from Overseer at lower levels isn't anything to write home about, so no real difference there.

Tradeskill mats? Sure, why not let low levels get a leg up on tradeskills.

So, letting lower levels use Overseer won't really change the game much at all. Let everyone use it.
    Ozon, Gyurika Godofwar, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  5. Windance Augur

I totally agree. The level 85 minimum feels like yet another arbitrary requirement.

For TLP they would have to restrict the TS / collects so they lag behind the currently unlocked expansion but that seems like something they'd have to do for a bunch of other things anyway.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is usually 1 or 2 years before TLPs unlock POP, myself and many others I am sure do not want to be running to and from guild masters and spell vendors for that length of time.

If they can just make this change on live, fine do it. BUT LEAVE IT AS IT IS ON TLPs.

There are many other ways for live players to get to pok without changed origin, potions, throne of heros, stien, quest item from POP that I cannot remember the name of......

As a DE necro on Mischief I origin in (Third Gate), hit the vendors for spells, move to next zone to use the bank/parcel vendor, gate back out to where I am bound, currently East Freeport dock. Easy access to OOT and Butcherblock to head over to Kunark which has just on locked.

Gnome chanter does the same thing just without the zone to go to the bank.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Nothing arbitrary about it. 85 is the starting level of a heroic character which, coincidentally, you can BUY in the marketplace. That's on purpose.

But yeah...other than that, there's no actual gameplay reason why it shouldn't start at level 1.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Overseer at level 1? nothing it does will be game breaking for a fresh account at level 1 but there may be solid business reasons for making level 85 such as encouraging those Heroic upgrade purchases.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Bardy McFly like this.
  9. Adruger New Member

Would like to see them add the ability to filter pet's damage for the owner separate from other's pets. Because I have a pet, I have to see everyone's which adds a lot of spam I don't care about.
  10. Bardy McFly Augur

Not saying it would work for EQ at this point (it would negatively drastically alter the core game), but I have extensively played ESO and the scaling system works wonderfully to make the vast majority of the game accessible to everyone. It's truly a wonderful game especially if you are a fan of the series (Skyrim in particular, as you can effectively play the MMO solo as if it were Skyrim if you choose to).
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Bardy McFly Augur

Levels really don't have a meaningful impact because content scales and you level fast. It's more to get your points for abilities. The abilities make combat easier, add more variety and allow for customizing "specs". Honestly, though, EQ has become so reliant on AAs that it really isn't so much different. ESO just feels less grindy because you don't also have to care about getting the levels so much as the abilities. Gear stats are also gated by level/points, again just making life easier with better stats.

That's probably why I like ESO better in a lot of ways, because I absolutely despise the grindy leveling portion of EQ. That feeling is not exclusive to EQ, though, as I hate grinding in other MMOs, too. Leveling in WoW is a waste of time to me, just keeping me from open raiding which is what I like about that game. I only do the group content/dungeons once just to experience them and quickly bump my ilvl to a point to start raiding ASAP.

To each their own. That's why there are multiple MMOs out there and many different ways to play each. You also don't have to play any one MMO exclusively. I generally have an active subscription to 3-4 at a time and bounce between them.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Stymie Pendragon

That's where we differ I guess. Leveling is the part I enjoy most about MMO's. I like moving to different areas and seeing new things every so often. End game, from what I've seen, is just repeating the same couple of activities over and over waiting on developers to make new content. I prefer the journey over the destination because of the variety.

In EQ, however, the grind gets to be real around level 70 which is where I tend to boost to 85, re-roll, or quit. It just isn't designed for solo/molo play after 65 or so. That's something I wish they would address, but since live and TLP share a database I don't see it happening. I can box 1 but it's too bothersome for me to add more than that.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

I can't think of an overpowered type reason to restrict it. Some xp to become almost useful does not seem like it would break things.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

More of a feature request but also QoL...

A for-hire forager NPC similar to a merc that you can deploy in a zone while in it then come back to collect later. Let it accrue items for up to like 48 hours before needing to be interacted with by the account that deployed it. Maybe don't make them physical NPCs so that zones don't get crowded though.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Great idea, though I'd alter to be a "Forager" Overseer quest that has a zone you can "send" it to for items, (no need have "zones" that have only the generic water/roots/berries/fruit/rabbit meat/fishing grubs available) gathers up approximately the same number of foraged goods as a keyboard macro Forage box would accumulate over the mission time.
    Preferably this "forager" would be on it's own slot/timer existing outside the limitiations of the regular ones. That way you avoid having unneccessary polygons floating about in the game.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

I use it 2-3 times per day in the early expansions on TLP servers.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, thanks for mentioning that. And help me refresh my memory. Did we have Origin when EQ was new? That's the only time I played during the early "eras", and I don't remember it even existing.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Origin was definitely not an "early" EQ feature.
    It was added with the GoD expansion as an AA ability so late 2004
  19. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This

Characters without gate, even after PoP Origin to a PoK book.

Characters with gate who are bound at zone ins, etc farming, second lore item drops, or 3rd or 4th.. Origin, mail to alt, gate back, reloot. Happens daily.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, I remember that, and the time frame seems right. But what about the char select screen button (I actually don't remember what it says, but it's Origin)? When did that start?