Grumpy Tanks

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dilquan, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Dilquan Augur

Sooooo..... why do tanks get grumpy when dps takes aggro occasionally and unintentionally?
  2. josh Augur

There are instances where taking aggro can kill your group/raid. turning a mob at the wrong time can result in everybody getting hit with an ae that can kill them. stealing aggro is an easy thing to avoid, especially since we have the aggro meter now.

Honestly I'd say the class that gets most annoyed by people taking aggro is rogues.
    Svann2, Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well back when zerkers were fairly new they had a lot of issues with aggro, these days I would say beastlords have the biggest aggro issues and have had them for multiple expansions.

A tank that is not grumpy is probably not a real tank anyway, they are supposed to be a bit grumpy I think, same goes for Clerics.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I have never had a problem with this (grabbing aggro from a tank), either in group or raid.
  5. Zolav Augur

Oh boy, dangerous question!

As a Berserker who remembers going through these aggro issues with tanks years past I would recommend this.... communicate with your tanks, let them know your doing everything on your end to reduce aggro and that your not intentionally trying to be a . A little goes a long way in this regard, if the tank is just not a nice guy/gal then at least you did your part as his teammate in a raid or group setting to try and be cool.

There is also the flip side where the tank has to learn to be better or the DPS is a jerk, then well... enjoy the drama lol. Just goes with the territory.
  6. Strawberry Augur

My opinion.

In the past (pre-SoF where warriors didn't have BoA), DPS could easily pull aggro from a tank, especially a warrior that got unlucky on procs. You were literally watching the warrior hoping to see a proc animation as a DPS.

But nowadays, losing aggro is simply 100% the tank's fault. Tanks have so many instant aggro tools, aggro abilities and aggro AA. Including an aggro UI gauge. You really have to be asleep at the wheel to lose aggro, every tank class has a giant arsenal of aggro tools.
    Gundolin, Sancus and Ssdar like this.
  7. The real Sandaormo Augur

I wouldn't say 100% the tanks fault because there are some specific things that should not be fired at the very beginning of a fight. ( DT, 5 point palm etc lots of itchy trigger fingers out there ) By the time you get a couple seconds into a fight no one should be able to touch a Warriors agro unless they are doing it on purpose. ( taunt or spamming agro spells )
    adetia, Skuz and Bigstomp like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

I will use that excuse from now on. Many thanks.
    Metanis, KarmaKitty, Zynt and 3 others like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

All these years, and Snow White finally figured out who tanks ;)

Happy's a chanter, obv. And Doc is a cleric. Not sure about the others
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sneezy is a Wizard, never gets in the group as he always breaks mezz with his AE's

Bashful is the Monk

Dopey is the Ranger, accident prone
    Tatanka and Nennius like this.
  11. josh Augur

I think you might have misunderstood me, rogues sometimes get annoyed when someone else steals aggro, because the mob turns and you have to adjust or miss your backstabs.

If someone steals aggro from a tank, in the current game its either the tanks fault, another tank being overzelous, or a melee class used one of the bp clicks that proc spells with huge base damage and no hate override.

If a beastlord is stealing from you its because they clicked their bp, this is the proc they get.

Unleashed Fury
    Slot 1:Decrease Current Hit Points by 83706

and yeah it would generate 83k hate per proc. they nerfed it awhile ago, but then everybody complained that they liked it this way so they changed it back, or forgot to maintain the nerf.
  12. Ketzerei84 Elder

I mean, yeah. But then again sometimes I like to flex on tanks and make them work for their aggro by stacking stun poison and slotting stun augs because sometimes tanks get lazy....
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Can't really blame the tank for losing aggro, just because they have a meter. The one taking aggro has a meter also, and should know when to toe the line. The tank can get the aggro back, but the meter only tells them when they are close to losing it. They need to save abilities for when they lose it, not use them before and have nothing once they lose it.

It's a team effort, if you aren't considering how your actions affect the rest of the team then you aren't actually being a team player.
    cadres and Fenthen like this.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

You turn the mob, some dps stop getting optimal hits at it's back, some maybe die, and the raids dps drops. That means I have to tank for a longer period of time before I can go grab another adult beverage. And it's all your fault.
    Warpeace, Celephane, Tallie and 3 others like this.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

Gotcha, yes, I misunderstood.
    Mob flipping is pretty frustrating. Even though rogues from some unremembered expansion forward can backstab from the front, we have to deal with frontal mitigations that we don't have to worry about from behind.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Bigstomp covered serious situations. In casual / group situations i tell DPS to go balls to the wall on damage to make things more fun. I can't imagine ever getting upset in those situations.
    Sancus likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Isn't that just you? ;)
    Svann2 and Skuz like this.
  18. cadres Augur

In raids:
    Because of what's posted above re turning
    Because the tank inevitably gets blamed, so they're getting the grumpy in 1st
    Because dps (not all, obvs) have given up any responsibility whatsoever for managing their aggro - they hit attack the second the mob is alive then afk/push keybinds - and wonder why they die

In groups - some tanks just like being grumpy
    Personally, I don't care at all, no biggie, but - you turn it you tank it
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's wordsmithing gold, right there :)
    Angahran and cadres like this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Man, this thread really makes me wish I had some graphics/video editing skills. The meme potential here is enormous!
    Stymie and Skuz like this.