Raise Research Skill Cheaply?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OldRodKS, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Lemerian Elder

You get a vendor pet at 21...
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yes, that's the one I'm using now. It casts as level 20, just like the three pets before it from the same line. New line starts at 22, which is the spell I'm going to make.
  3. Captain Video Augur

I dunno if all casters are the same as to which level spells can be purchased in home city and which have to be crafted. My mage on TB had a vendor-purchased pet at level 14 and didn't get to buy another one until level 20. The level 14 spell cast a water pet at level 17, and that seemed to tide me over OK until I dinged 20. There were a few instances where I pulled multiple blues while solo and had to chain-cast the pet to survive. I'm about to go hunting for hides so I can craft new spells.

There is a vendor at the tower in OOT who sells a lot of the missing spells. Other players have told me it is feasible for a solo level 20 to scale the island and buy spells there, but I have never succeeded at that level, there are always too many goblins.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The pet spells from 15-21 are indeed on the vendor in OoT. I'm actually bound there at the moment since I've been fighting goblins on the South side of the island. When you land in OoT from the TL in Freeport or Butcherblock you can swim directly West and enter that island on the East side. There is a gap between mobs where the you see the dirt path going up towards the tower.

Due to the pathing and how fast those mobs move, you will want to be invis. I would recommend casting invis while off-shore and waiting 20 seconds to make sure it doesn't drop right away. Then swim/run straight to the tower. There is a tent with mobs off to the right, but you can hug left by the rocky incline. Nothing spawns on the rock formation South of the tower. One mob paths near the entrance of the tower though, and it can be in social range of the tent mobs.

Once you climb the ladder nothing is in aggro range, unless I get a bad pull and gate there because I forgot to mem evac on the Wizard. Sorry in advance if you are on Thornblade. Although gating there doesn't actually help, I usually just hit Origin and hope for the best. May start doing that first instead of gating, or just remember to mem evac more.

The aqua goblin shamans drop the hide for the 22+ spells if you can find a good spot to kill them. The South wall of the rock formation is decent but can be anywhere from a 1-4 pull. And if you aren't using the Earth pet or snaring, any single pull can turn into another 1-4 pull when it runs.
  5. Captain Video Augur

I'm not trying this now on TB since my mage is in Qeynos, plus I have invis but not mem evac. So crafting it will be this time around. My experience is that the hides are global rare drops which scale based on the level of the mob, so killing level 20 blues anywhere will eventually get me some hides I need. When starting from the W side, I typically go through E/S Karana and get to Highpass, where there is a lot to kill unless some box group has it camped.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yeah it probably is a global rare drop. EQTrader had the goblin shamans listed specifically but that is likely old info. I got a lot of them in the Gorge, mostly from Evil Eyes I think. Same with necros in Befallen. It may only be from humanoids. Also not sure if it's classic only or if they drop from Kunark mobs too.
  7. Captain Video Augur

Not just humanoids, I know that for sure. The stiff and crude hides even drop in the tutorial when it opens, but there is nothing you can do with them there. I've gotten a bunch from Highpass mobs before, and also from farming elephants.
  8. Moranis Augur

Since I've already made enough krono to fund my forseeable EQ future, I'll share a tip I may or may not have heard from some guy:

One might venture to the Ak'Anon Necro/SK/Cleric guild and kill obsolete models - they are rumored to drop saltpeter at a rate where one might expect to get 20-25 per hour just sending a pet around hunting them.

One could then imagine that if they had a necro/mage down there with a certain macro and a certain AHK script, one could probably gather ~150 saltpeters in a single 8-hour period while "watching Netflix on the other screen". As a bonus, one can also *probably* get about 150 spiderLING silks if one's macro attacks the spiders too.

Of course, I cannot confirm or deny any of this...
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I completely forgot about that. Blew right through it (and I wasn't going at it hard).

I did remember to go to Lfay, though.
  10. OldRodKS Elder

Is there a good source for Crystallized Sulfur? I've gotten a few from the Avocets in South Karana and a few more from the Giant fort in Frontier Mountains, but it's certainly not a plentiful supply
  11. Captain Video Augur

In the Old World it's a global rare drop off of pretty much everything level 35+. At lower level, it will drop off several 20-somethings in S Karana, Unrest, FV, Frontier Mountains, Feerroot, Rathe, No Hope, and I'm sure I'm forgetting somewhere.
    OldRodKS likes this.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

So that could have gone worse.

Hit 22, trained Research skill to 20.
    Made Vials of Pure Water to 54.
    Ended up with about 165 vials, sold 115 of those back and kept 50 for sub-combines.
    Used 4 of them to make Ink of E'ci and Ink of the Companion.
    Made a Quill of the Arch Convoker on the first try, saving about a plat from the vendor price.

Had one Raw Fine Hide, managed to make the Prepared Fine Hide without failing.
    Final combine for Summoning: Water succeeded, spell is now memmed. Yay!

Started with 140 plat, have 47 left now and 46 Vials of Pure Water for future combines. This was with 109 Int and 80 Cha on indifferent vendors. Not going any further until I have to, but have some lower hides I may use if there are spells i missed that would be useful on either toon.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Captain Video Augur

I have always kept all the Vials of Pure Water I make, since there are a lot of crafted spells and a lot of different inks still to come. Anything my main doesn't use, I pass on to alts. The cost of research skill-ups isn't as painful on the new servers since there is more spare plat about. Alas, I failed on my first attempt at a Summoning, with research at 55. Still, lots more to do.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Moranis Augur

Not that I know of...but sulfurs are a pretty common global drop and most people must just vendor them because I see them for sale all the time on merchants.