Do we think Win11 will break the EQ launcher?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A quick google search shows plenty of results for Windows 11 requiring internet and a Microsoft account.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

I did say it may be true. Its also true that pcworld hasnt been a good source in many years if ever. imo
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And as I said there are many sources for this beside pcworld so I am not sure why you feel the need to bash on them.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The reality is that most people just won't care. They already give all their info to Google/Apple/Facebook/Amazon and a dozen other places. Microsoft is late to this party.

Not that I agree with it, but the privacy horse left the stable some time ago, and the only way it will come back is if there is regulation to force it. (And even then, there has been enough data breaches of enough high profile places that everyone's info is likely out there anyway).
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not only would it have to be enforced but safeguards would have to be put in place that the information can't be required to use the services. It looks like facebook is very unhappy with what apple is doing to block tracking on ios devices.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The problem is, many of us can (and do) refuse to use these companies' services. But we don't have a choice with Windows. That's what makes it even more frustrating.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Refusing to participate in the ad-based economy is an illusion. Somewhere, somehow, they will get enough info to target you. Public information can be queried, trusted institutions can be hacked. Your only value is as a sales target, and as long as that is true, it will be more profitable for them to know more about you, than it will be for them to offer you a paid option to remain private.

You can't solve this without solving that core problem. They don't even try to hide it anymore. Unsubscribed from an email list? You will get a new email within moments from whichever list they sold you to when you unsubscribed. Oh sure, "we" can't contact you anymore, but "we" can still profit off of knowing your email address.

A lot of people who get worked up about privacy fail to understand the predicament they are in. The collectors aren't collecting this information for nefarious purposes, at least not the ones these people generally suspect. There is no benefit to spending effort tracking information about people if you can't monetize it. So while they worry about their information being out there, at worst it's going to be used to annoy them, and at best it's going to lead to a helpful purchase.

Meanwhile it's annoying, but mostly harmless (very on brand Earth, very on brand). It has led to a change in how people manage or display their personal info. If nothing is secret then you don't need to hide it, which makes for more interesting social media like Instagram or TikTok. But to be fair we're in experimental territory on this, bigger issues could surface as more of society gets involved.

In the end though, you are a $, because there will always be those salespeople who think they can sell anything to anyone. The difference now is that people realized that wasn't true, and said "what if we had a way to know who was interested in what, and we targeted our advertising at them?" Turns out that works really well. It's a little bit stalker, a little bit comforting friend, with a dash of reminder/checklist thrown in.

Like the other day I picked up a license at Kinguin, and had a couple issues, so I was mad at them for a bit. Now after being inundated with their ads for about a week, we're friends again, maybe that's Stockholm syndrome, IDK. But the important part is that you just opened a thread with that word in it, so you're gonna end up in the dungeon with me for a bit. Hope you needed some Windows licenses cheap!
    Leerah likes this.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Sure you do. You can use the Pro version of Windows 11, or switch to Linux.

I don't think you should have to, and I think this is ultimately a bad move on Microsoft's part, but you will have a choice.
  9. CazRaX Elder

There are more choices today than any other time, Linux exists and alternatives to most all programs exist and for the ones that don't Wine is at a point that it can probably run them too. The difference is that for that to work you need to expend effort to make it work, there is no "Easy Button" for the switch, it's all work and most won't do it but choices exist.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Depending on what you are doing there is still a lot of software that is windows only and even if you can find ways to run it in linux you won't get any support for it if you have issues. The problem is for a lot of things windows is still the only choice you have.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think its a leap of faith to assume that most are capable.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Check your pc now ..
    Run command.
    "tpm.msc"

Does it say version 2.0
  13. Zanarnar Augur

I disabled it in the BIOS. Its a perfect way to make sure I don't get the Windows 11 upgrade until its been WELL TESTED. Like out for a year+ just like 10 before I moved. My PC needs to work, and work reliably. Moving to any "brand new"* OS from microsoft is just asking to be one of their beta testers for a year or so. They do almost no testing in house any longer.

So, my advice is don't take the update until its been out for about a year. When you do take it, if you don't have one already, get a USB drive big enough to hold your entire desktop and back everything up to that FIRST. This way if something goes wrong you can always go back. Then let it upgrade.

For now, stay away unless your loading it on a machine for for the purposes of testing compatibility with either hardware or software. Once its been released, still stay away unless you like beta testing operating systems.

Also, I'm literally typing this on my work PC which is Kubuntu linux, and even I wouldn't suggest the common man try to game on linux. Its just not baked enough for non-technical people to reliably use it for more then web tasks or basic office stuff. I love linux, and its come a HUGELY LONG WAY in the last 5 or 6 years in terms of gaming ease, but its still nowhere near as simple as windows.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  14. Metanis Bad Company

In Microsoft's defense, they've been pushing the hardware TPM for nearly 4 years now. It's not like it's been a big secret. At some point they needed to draw a line in the sand and I guess Windows 11 may be it.

TPM does have some compelling benefits for computer security.

How Windows uses the TPM - Microsoft 365 Security | Microsoft Docs
  15. CazRaX Elder

Doesn't negate that the choices exist, like I said no Easy Button for it but it exists.
  16. Laronk Augur

Linux is not an option for “normal” users. If you have had the experience of working with guild members just to do something as simple as getting Gina working you would know this. It’s not just the lack of an easy button, for many people it would be a huge cumbersome change.

Your average gamer is going to be on win11 if they want to be playing new games at some point.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/12/...s-7-windows-8-driver-support-end-october-2021

At some point win 10 won’t be an easy option, even reinstalling windows on a new computer is beyond some users and they’re going to use what ever OS c9mes on the machine they buy.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

As I said in another post depending on what software you need to use and how you need to use it you might have no other choice than windows. Sure you can get some windows only software to run on linux but good look getting the developer to support you if you have any issues.

As a side note haven't we seen reports of people getting suspended/banned for playing on a linux machine due to cheat/vm detection?
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I remember in 1997 when "Linux on the desktop" was all the rage. Still waiting...

I like Linux well enough but there's no way I'm giving up the conveniences of Windows for it.
    Laronk likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

No.
  20. Laronk Augur

I actually like Linux a lot too. The desktop experience is pretty good. I even deployed Ubuntu on my friends computer because he kept getting viruses (it was his laptop specifically for the prawn can’t use the por… word and he’d click on any and every link) after Linux he never got another virus.
    Accipiter likes this.