Worth coming back ?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Malentus, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Malentus New Member

I used to play Everquest I a lot from about release until the lost dungeons of Norrath expansion.
    Quit then because I lost interest and was busy with other things in life.
    Lately I though about coming back to the game as I still have a lot of good memories about it.
    Question is is it worth it ?
    Are there still active guilds who welcome returning or new players ? Or is all just boxing and moloing ?
    I don't mind playing solo a bit. I hate multiboxing though. And I don't want to play solo/molo only. If i wanted that I'd rather play a newer (offline) RPG.
    So does it make any sense to come back ? Or is this game dead ?
  2. Buff69 New Member

It's far from dead. I just came back on the Mischief TLP and I'm having a blast.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It all depends what you want to get out of the game (this is pretty much how all these threads start).

There are plenty of guilds on every server & many are very welcoming to returning players, how much help you get depends on the guild and how active its members are so this is something of a try it and see issue, if you join a guild and barely anyone plays in it then you are wasting your time and should find a different one etc.

I took a 7 year break myself from 2008 to 2015 and upon returning to live it took a week or so to get back into the swing of things.
    There will probably be a "knowledge gap" you will have to allow yourself time to start filling in the blanks or you will quickly feel out of your depth and lost so don't rush & do read all the tooltips and what your aa & Spells/Abilities actually do - can take an hour or so just to get your UI into something close to useful.

I am really enjoying EQ, in spite of some of its flaws & limitations and feel like it still has a lot to offer in terms of entertainment no matter what playstyle you prefer.
    So in my opinion, yes it is definitely worth coming back but YMMV.
  4. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

I played 2000-2006, 2009-2011, 2015-2017, 2019-2021.

Everytime I came back, I jumped into a server. Got into a guild, leveled with them. Jumped to a Raid guild once I was higher level and then played the raid game for gear etc.

Every server I've played on had "Family" style guilds that will be happy to have whomever and play alts and have fun while helping you level up.
  5. Herf Augur

If you left during LDoN and were happy up to that point, consider giving Agnarr a try. Recently voted Worlds Friendliest Server in Better Kunark Homes and Gardens. You will want to join a guild however. And you'll probably have to lvl up to about 30 or so on your own. But you get free buffs in PoK and can get to 30 pretty easily within a few days to a week depending on how aggressive you are.

If friendly isn't as important as loot, there's the new TLP servers, Mischief and Thornblade. But I tried them and found them lacking in the community feeling I seek.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ya, I saw that article by that barb Martha of Clan Stewart - how to cook gnomes without the smell was in that issue
    Herf and Stymie like this.