Zek Rising!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sokon, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Szilent Augur

The answer to that is clearly "all of them". it's definitional. tautological. All of the players who want to go back to a functional pvp environment are, like that forum poster, not on Zek.
  2. Whulfgar Augur

Which is exactly numerically how many?

I dont understand why you are avoiding answering with an actual numerical value ?
  3. Stymie Pendragon

My EQ journey started in January of 2000 on Vallon Zek due to a co-worker getting me into the game. We had been playing Quake at the time and decided PVP was the way to go. This was all during original EQ, and back then PVP wasn't even close to being balanced.

The last time we played on that server I lost the race of bagging all of my items before being killed and losing most of my good armor and only weapon. It just wasn't fun. We moved to Emarr the next day

Certain classes were over-powered in PVP from the start. I can't even imagine what happened after Kunark released. It just had to snowball from there.

If DPG were to embrace PVP like so many other games it could work. Just choose a class template and join the battle.

I honestly can see them having PVP success with a battle royale type approach. Just setup a couple of maps and let people have at it.

With the current system bloat I don't see another way to make PVP in this game viable or profitable. It could actually be a lot of fun if done right though.
  4. Szilent Augur

It was a post from March that you responded to. You read the post wrong. It wasn't my post to begin with. Slow down, man.

This why there's rules against necroing forum threads, ****
  5. Randel Flag Elder

pvp sandbox, make Zek like test server where everyone can just /copy a toon for free on gold accounts and have at it!
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think that's a wonderful idea!

As someone with less than zero interest in PvP (especially in EQ), with an option like that, I'd probably check it out a few times a year, especially if there were special events happening. Heck, you Zek guys can probably use the cannon fodder, amirite?
  7. Whulfgar Augur

All I'm doing is tryna find the logic of tryna fix a broken pvp system..

20yrs later.. when there are entire games dedicated specifically for that who's engines are a thousand x better and everything.

It's almost like they can't beat anyone in those dedicated pvp only games. And wanna try it in the worst possible game to try it.. for what ever reason.

To me it just doesn't logic.
  8. Sokon Augur

FYI. To be a little more clear. This thread was only bumped by me as an initial notification for those who are familiar with it from months ago.

This thread was a first attempt, an initial thread, and a second thread was always the plan, since many months ago. This thread ended and the discussion, debate, some back and forth and argument occurring... but at the end of it all, the author took all that feedback and decided that it was now time to close the thread, and inform everyone to expect another in the coming weeks.

Obviously I was the author. I felt I had enough to think about on these matters, matters which are particularly important to me. So this thread was part of a process. Again a second was always planned. This thread was not bumped to continue any talking points contained within it, all my intention was by bumping this thread was to inform people that indeed a second thread will be coming.

First I thought I could do that in a couple of weeks, maybe 3, but then I spent the last several months thinking about how I should go about it and all I had was a really long list of things not to do.... lol

So I even quit playing for a few months, and gave it all some time to settle in and perhaps it'd come to me one day. What a second thread, if I was gonna spend the time and energy working on doing, would be worth my time.

Turns out, it dawned on me, a second thread by me won't be worth my time.

Right now, and for the past several weeks I have been talking to others, giving them a word document to write on and looking for a number of co-authors, that all want to work on a thread together.

This process has been slow, most want to discuss things that already happened or how they feel I went about xyz or phrased abc or sung do ray me. And they are worried perhaps a second thread will be just like the last one, when that is the only thing that has been on my mind, a whole list of things I want to avoid being or occurring in another thread so

We are, I am, working on finding a group of people that want to spend some time communicating with me on what I am looking for, as I envision it, because in fact, I do have a long range plan, always have

In general, the next thread will be about what has happened on Zek, if you are not aware, over the last several months since this thread was reasonably active. And it will hopefully also have some good examples of why people on Zek are enjoying the server now. There are a whole host of reasons why the Zek server is much better right now than it has been for a very very very long time.

So those will be the talking points of that thread. That thread will also, fundamentally have the same goals as this thread had: awareness of what is going on on the Zek server and specifically it's raid forces, and to capture the attention and interest of anyone that may have an interest that had they been aware the playstyle they enjoy or like minded people actually do in fact exist on the Zek server, knowing that, they might try it to, or come back, or reactivate their account after a long period of inacitivity. For a very long time, one word could have been use to describe Zek. Dead.

That is no longer the case, not for those familiar with the server and it's population numbers. So again, the second goal is to express diffferent points of views and things a wide variety of people on Zek do and have done for many years, so that those else out there who may be unaware, perhaps it will be interesting enough for them to finally return here or what not etc.

1. Awareness (Spread the word!!!)
    2. Attract people who may be interested (Target our base)

^Goals.

And again, my priority as was with this thread, is I am only interested in addressing or writing up something for someone to read, that someone who might ever consider coming here, or returning, or ever play on Zek can read. Everyone else is not the audience I am looking to address. So things will be written in the terms of how Zek players feel the reality of the situation is and I will try to not get myself involved in any debate from others that want to take issue with particular things.

One example could be: "Zek general chat only ever has 80 people, how is that decent population?!?!", or "I was on the other day at such and such a time, only 42 people in general server chat, why would anyone want to be on a dead server"

For people familiar with Zek and have played on it anytime recently, this argument or comment is pointless to discuss because everyone on Zek knows things are really good right now. They have no need to argue with anyone about it, and they simple aren't going to, or perhaps they aren't even going to ever log into the forums again cause they are tired of it or whatever reason. In general, Zek players do not advocate for themselves nor represent themselves on the forums, because for all/most the fact is.... there just isn't any point, and it's usually a waste of time etc etc etc.

So our playerbase, the ones on Zek right now, they tend to just play the game. They do not play the forums, nor do they care to, nor do most even care to or will do even when asked to help because of questions like that and other reasons, and generally there being no point, when they tried, or when they read someone else's or whatever the case may be.

So anyways, I've put a lot of thought into the next thread, if anyone wants to contact me and further discuss how I am going about trying to resolve the complex problem of population on Zek and increasing our server's population back to a thriving level and have explained to them my ideas in their entirety, and the plan, and what I am asking for them or looking for from others, feel free to contact me on Discord and we can talk for as long as you want. Voice video or other.

Lastly, what I will be asking for, after whoever it is talks to me, is for them to write a statement, sentence or paragraph that I can put into the thread with their name and associated guild(past present or otherwise) on the post.

Ideally, nothing in the next thread will be written by me, everything will be written by and quoted from who to the time to actually write something. If I have to write some filler so it flows like it was written by a single person, I will do so.

That is what I am looking for. If you do have any interest in doing that, please do not attempt to contact me with what you think I should talk about, how you feel about what's in this thread from months ago or anything else you want to discuss if you have no interest being a co-author to a 2nd thread.

Thanks for your time, and I hope I was able to provide more information on what I was informing people to expect. Enjoy.

Due to the polarizing nature of the contents of this thread and it's previous one, and everything that happened surround this first thread. I'd advise to not post a reply any longer to this thread, and just wait till you see the next one weeks months or years from now. It won't be posted until I have enough material, written by other people, to put one together.

And so far I have received 0 sentences or paragraphs. So the second thread, is in it's baby infancy stage at this moment, perhaps it is still even in the womb lol. So again, if I don't get what I need, you won't see another thread. Cause I am not going to spend my time writing another thread.

Need.
    Help.
    Must.
    Hire.
    Writers.

Any not for profit college level people looking for an internship that pays nothing? Hit me up, lololol

Note: A main theme and focus this thread here centered around was requesting people to help by conversing about ways or ideas that could improve Zek. That will not be a theme nor talking point or request in the Original Post of the next thread. Major Difference.
  9. Sokon Augur

Reminder: The titles of these threads is/are Zek Rising.

So to say it in another way.

The second thread will be about what has happened/improved or been added to farm status for Zek guilds and players since the last thread

and

Why everyone who plays on Zek does in fact feel like the Zek server is on the rise.

Again, alot of time, effort and thought was put into all of this from the beginning. May have not started out right the best way, or the correct way, or gotten into arguments I never should have allowed myself to get drug into, or went down roads that lead to nowhere talking about things.

A whole list of dead ends, things not to do, what i don't want to see again.... I had a way longer list of what not to do than what to repeat, so it took me a very long time to come up with something I felt would be worth everyone's time. And I did promise everyone to expect another thread, but I have no intention of posting another thread myself, nor writing another thread myself so, I have an idea, if anyone wants to chat about it, feel free.

Taking my sweet time on it this time, so you can probably expect a 2nd thread sometime before year 2036. I think I can guarantee it by that year!
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good Idea imho.
  11. Bardy McFly Augur

And if they don't want to disrupt/disrespect the few that still call Zek home, they should open a Test PVP server for this purpose. If nothing else, this would let the community beta test any PVP tweaks DPG might be willing to try and it would be a fun playground.

IMHO, they should just nerf all player to player incoming damage to 5% and see if duels or skirmishes are too obnoxiously long, then work their way up until the damage feels like a healthy balance.
    Stymie likes this.
  12. Doogie Lorekeeper

That would be a great idea. I came back to the server last week and must say its cool to see a couple guild competing in raid content and people running around.