Raid scene on Mischief lacking?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kahna, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Machen New Member

And it's been correct for 22 years.
  2. Machen New Member

Name any 50 casual non raiders from any TLP in the last 10 years. I bet I and the raiding community can match you 100:1 from public dkp logs alone.
  3. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

What are you even talking about?
  4. Triconix Augur

Aradune is my first TLP. I don't think I have come across or grouped with a casual player since early Kunark. TLPs move too fast for them. Everyone I see is in a known raid guild.

Even with this exp bonus, everyone running around has a raid guild tag. If TLPs are littered with casuals, they must play classic and kunark only because the population not in a raid guild completely disappears in matter of a couple months.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You really believe Raiders outnumber non-raiders?
  6. Atabishix New Member

If you think non-raiders out number raiders on TLP's, you're trolling.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Demetri Augur

Talking about a Holly post in response to the "People don't deserve to kill Nagafen" kerfuffle, actually - that was 2015.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/holly-quote.224452/page-6#post-3279231

"Casual players are a huge portion of our playerbase..."

And I was making that as a general statement, not a TLP specific one - I don't know the stats (beyond knowing that every raid guild I've been in has had a healthy number of "Friends and Family" tier folks - minor in some cases, completely dwarfing raiders in others - but that's anecdotal at best) for TLP and I have not seen TLP specific quotes in the public.

What is with the insistence to insert context or warp phrasing from what is said to try to generate strawmen?
  8. Demetri Augur

And again, why not respond to my full statement then, Machen? Why would we the MASSIVE dips that we see in population during the least non-raider friendly expansions?

Most raiders that are remotely decent acknowledge GoD as a good expansion now. But yet it still ALWAYS has a large population drop compared to most other expacs.

Couldn't have anything to do with it gating almost all non-raiders to a handful of repetitive zones and all of those zones have pretty challenging non-raid flagging past the open ones AND all have a few raid things mixed in with the normal trash. And of course coming after PoP that suffered through the same flagging issues for non-raiders, but at least PoP has a wide variety of content without difficulty issues for them to use before flagging up to hold interest for a bit.
  9. Laronk Augur

Maybe just maybe.

Hear me out here.

Raiding in classic / kunark is terrible specially classic where the loot is bad too.
    Demetri likes this.
  10. Boogatti Lorekeeper

Skrab is clearly a weak troll account.
  11. Mrjon3s Augur

The problem is new TLPs get released. Look at mangler the new TLPs got delayed till GoD and aradune was queue hell when it finally launched that mangler kept a lot of its population.
  12. Atomos Augur

On one hand, every MMO company ever says that most of the playerbase does not raid.

On the other hand, every classic era MMO server that I've played on (both official and private) tends to have more people that at least intend to raid. A lot of people are there to experience things they had missed in the past. Raider numbers are definitely higher on something like TLP.

I do think people underestimate the amount of casual players though. There's a reason they are catered to and control the direction of MMOs these days.
  13. Demetri Augur

Which is more likely to siphon off the casuals, not the hardcore. Early raids are easy and boxing is still a huge asset largely.

Starting GoD a good portion of raiding boxing becomes a LIABILITY for many players.

But yes, the double dip of extra servers does help accelerate the issue. Sad for them though, only a handful of fights are actually interesting in the first 5 eras so many faux hardcore obsess over.
  14. Boogatti Lorekeeper

I think it's a bit subjective.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There might be more non-raiders on Mischief/Thornblade than on past TLP, but certainly the track record for all of the prior TLP is that the vast majority of players are in a raiding guild and want to raid, very few non raiders at all.
    The unlock speed on TLP is very anti-casual, even if you are a non-raider you need to play a decent amount of hours each week or you get left behid fast.
  16. Machen New Member

You didn't say a huge portion. You said a "grand majority." A huge portion could be as little as 10 or 20% when you are talking about tens of thousands of players.

No dev has ever said or implied that raiders are in the minority, which is what you claimed.
  17. Machen New Member

Not sure which expansions you are talking about. Typically the only huge dips in population on the TLP's have been when a new TLP with similar ruleset launches. We have just seen a huge dip on Aradune, but Rizlona population hasn't dropped even slightly--if anything, it has gone up further. And when we see those huge dips, it's the raiders bailing ship. You can easily see it on every TLP's progression site.

Come back in 2 months and take a look at how many raid guilds there are on Aradune in Gates (allegedly one of the most casual unfriendly expansions of all times) and then we'll see that the population drop wasn't just due to a bunch of casual non raiders bailing out on the server.
  18. Demetri Augur

It really isn't - early fights are almost entirely spank and tanks with no actual interaction - just AEs being thrown out and mitigating the AE's while you focus on a single tank, maybe occasionally switching for DT on a handful.

Early stuff is all "more of the same" with minor tweaks here and there, but the same overall formula.

That isn't to say some later content that is done in a more interesting manner can't be bad too though - Vertigo and Ayonae Ro being major offenders...
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Demetri Augur

When the rest of her quote I repeated ends with "...and the majority of the content is made with them in mind."
    No, not really, you general spend your focus on the people that make you the most money in a business - the "majority of content" is made for those that earn you the best profit.

I'd rather look at the total population, but I bet it'll be a significant dropoff AGAIN. Guilds die all the time due to factors that do not relate to the server itself, like guild politics. And there HAS been TLPs before the "next year around the same time of year" trend started where GoD didn't launch around the same time as the next round, and guess how those fared? Typically they were hurting by then, but it completely destroyed them where the server barely limped into OoW.

Were you not around for Combine and Sleeper, Machen? Or RF/Lockjaw? I'd always thought you'd been around a while.

There's a strong lack of desire to see the forest through the trees rather than just knee-jerking to "feels" in this thread, lol.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You really think the queues from launch are only from raid guilds...

Rizlona is casual boxer central.

It's the same pattern to repeat for eternity. Non-raiders do play the game and fall off consistenly in PoP-GoD era, same as when it was current. The game becomes more restrictive and raid gear grew too distant from group gear creating a massive disadvantage for non-raiders.