What QOL things would you like to see added to EQ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gyurika Godofwar, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The ability to filter out NPC agro say to a different window to player say and quest NPC say.
  2. Zipe The Healer

Hello,
    What about Save Searches feature for Item Find and Bazaar window... Have it been mentioned? I am tired of constantly loading slot 5 and slot 7-8 AC, HDex, Hwis on the Item Find window.
    I know that "Augmentation window" have been mentioned, but doing this kind of Aug searches is the de facto Aug window, if you could load a saved search for "equipped", Slot 5 or 7 or 8 and the stat you want depending on your char, you turn the Item find window into an Aug window.
    Accipiter and Skuz like this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

I want tracking to have it's own chat filter instead of being lumped into the Skills category.
    Accipiter likes this.
  4. Dre. Altoholic

Maybe integrated with "find" function?
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have mentioned several times over the years, a "shopping list" for Bazaar, which is exactly what they already do for loading "favorite recipes" in tradeskill containers. If I'm currently shopping for 10 things, let me make a list, and load it when I open Bazaar.
    Accipiter and Skuz like this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Improved Pathing (the number 1 thing that pisses me off on the regular is bad pathing)
    Improved Autofollow
    All Tradeskill items you loot automatically go to your 7 Tradeskill Hoards (which you previously set up filters on to receive items from each tradeskill)
    Tradeskill containers can pull components from your tradeskill hoards for your combines.

These probably require the next revision of the EQ engine...

UI Overhaul - wherefore art though EQUI Guru?
    (4K screen users want to stop using magnifying glasses)

Animation & Art Team to get the resources to give EQ new player models & revamped zones from PoP onwards.

EDIT: An additional Filter option added to Advanced Loot Window for "always drop on corpse"

This would allow Master Looters to mitigate the infamous crash bug caused by lots of unwanted items hanging around in the window by keeping the window "cleaned".
    Stymie and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

The ability to /barter and /trader and play all at the same time w/o having 3 subs? =P
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

One of the reasons the last thread got so long is that we tend to list little things under "quality of life" issues. And while those of us that frequent the forums are likely a small chunk of the overall player base, we are still more than enough people with our own pet peeves and ideas for little changes for it to add up to a huge and unwieldy list very quickly.

Maybe if we all try and stay focused on things that would have a lot of 'bang for the buck' in terms of the time spent by devs and coders, it would stay more manageable and have more of a chance of catching their attention.

I second updating hot zones:
    • Add in options for 100 and 105
    • People have been suggesting it forever, but I would love it if Franklin Teek would be able to port you to the appropriate zone just like Clayton Teek can port you to the HA quest giver. Many of the hot zone quests are in places that are pretty remote, even with guild hall ports. This might take more time for a dev to put all of that in, however, so it is maybe more of a wish list item.
    Some sort of mentoring system like EQ2 has would be great, as right now, the main way for a higher level character to help a lower level friend is through casting buffs on them way over their current abilities and powerleveling, not actually playing with them. Even when the level difference is small enough to allow for shared experience, but it is still large, such as a difference of 10 levels or more between characters, the lower level character is doing very little to contribute to a group fighting things even slightly challenging to the higher level characters, so they are mainly there to soak up xp. I think things like shrouds were meant to fill that gap in some ways, but it just wasn't robust enough.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. quakedragon Augur

I don't think hotzones would help. We need better zones 70-110.
    TSS like zones, so that means zones with 20 level margin, not everything in zone is 81-85, -91-95.
    Need zones like 60-85, 80- 105, 95-110.
    Less zones and larger margin means more likely to find other players because these zones should be best to xp in. And less time "hmmm where should I level at 85", The Grounds you say? Aren't mobs there lvl 88? You sure?? player b says something different, player c says something else, etc.

all players should say "that 80-105 is a good place for a lvl 85, stay there till 100, its good till 100"
  10. quakedragon Augur

I don't think modern hotzones would work, because if it isn't that 1 or 2 zone your want at lvl 93, your not going to be happy still.

They need to do TSS like zones, they need larger level margin zones. that 1 or 2 best zone for lvl 93, is probably full of just lvl 90-93 mobs and at 95 you have to goto another zone, at 98 you goto another zone 101 you goto another zone.

They need 1 zone, 85 - 105, (no more, 91 zone a, 94 zone b, 97 zone c, 101 zone d, 104 zone e, etc).
    Zones for 65-85, 80-105, 95-115. What it does is 2 things, helps newplayers out with leveling up, you know where to go now, and its going to be somewhat active because its the best option. Just like TSS goto BFM, its the best, goto this TSS zone its the best. Other people going to be there too.
    Just like they did with F2P accounts, everyone is assigned Cresent Reach, because its the best. No more options because too many zones, newplayers can't find each other and play with each other. With CR for all new players, they find each other, its a good thing even though nostalgic players would want to start in the actual homecity and not CR.

Yes, closer following, should be able to adjust how close you follow someone.

Problem I see and I see it in other threads, heroic character 85, now gotta get to 115.
    I sure wouldn't be complaining at lvl 111

Veterans need to know, newplayers at 85, 90, newplayers don't usually have the BiS at current lvl heros gear.
    btw i checked this site, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5553
    stops at paragon armor which I have, but I know everyone been yapping on me 'your in your 80s? how come you don't have that good 85 gear, abtruse or whatever that armor is'.
    'uh i didn't know about? uh it wants me to goto the grounds and do some group type stuff? i'm not strong enough to get it yet?'
    'thats why you suck at this lvl you don't have it'
    'well i aint strong enough to get it, see my dilemma?'

Somebody wrote somewhere, newplayers usually don't last after 80, yep so true.

If you made it to 105 or higher, kudos to you.
    I'm still in 80s, dealing with people telling me why I aint got the BiS gear, to do HA's and I do HA 'oh thats a overpowered HA, don't do that one'
    I don't know which HA, I goto Teek he hands me 2 II HA's I get stomped, imagine first time HA and its bixie warfront Endless War (aka bouncing all over the place while roamer smacks you too) 'screw HA' way to lvl 80 to 105, i aint going thru that again
    I don't know about that BiS gear
    I don't know this and that
    I don't know, see my dilemma.
    If I know, its 'im not strong enough to do that' "just go get this armor and everything will be easy" 'im lvl 86, I can't fight lvl 88 nameds and do difficult lvl 88 quests, i'm just lvl 86 you see, my merc doesn't go around stomping everything anymore, instead he gets stomped'

Kudos to the lvl 105 and higher folks
    At 111 you already made it, your doing end game stuff now, all you need to do is play more. Lvl 80s, still LONG LONG LONG ways to go, and xp aint moving at all, its like .05xp per kill and per kill is like 1 minute and 3 kills before you have to meditate, takes awhile to single pull too because mobs so close and other tedious things too. (yes exaggerating a little, but its painful at 80s, not all smooth sailing as veterans think it is for a newplayer) Main point xp is slow in 80s, i sure am not looking forward to 90s, even slower xp.
  11. Windance Augur

These things are 'fixable'.

What I normally suggest to returning players who don't know where to start ...

Go to allakazam and look at the expansions by level or zones by level:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zone.html?mode=bymap

Pick one that is five levels below you and start doing the quests. It gives you practice on 'easy' stuff which in turn lets you practice your skills/rotations. If they are too hard, go back another expansion. If they are too easy, go forward an expansion.

Once you start feeling comfortable in an expansion, tell others in /general , "hey I'm a level XYZ doing ABC . anyone want to join me?"

The other thing I would strongly encourage is asking around for casual guilds. Most servers have 1 or 2 that try and pick up people and help them get rolling.

As far as BiS gear ( Best in slot ) raidloot.com is a GREAT tool.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

I just want it unlinked from the generic skill messages so I can filter it to it's own little window.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Forget hot zones. The better way to address this is to borrow an idea from WoW. Get rid of LotD and how it works now, and replace it with something similar to how the fellowship vitality XP works, except it gets recharged over time.

With vitality in the bar, you get double XP (just like LotD), but it's not a timed buff, so you don't have to be pulling like a madman when it's up. You just play at the pace you want, and as long as there's vitality in the bar, you're getting double XP. When the bar empties, then you just get regular XP. In WoW's case, the bar recharged from empty to full in (I think) 5 days. This supports several use cases: People who play infrequently, but for a good chunk of time when they do. People who XP slowly, because of casual play pace, or fighting in less optimal areas, get just as much bonus as those who play in fast-paced, optimal groups. So, zone doesn't matter, group type doesn't matter, play schedule doesn't matter, everyone can get the same benefit from it.

This is a change I'd really love to see in EQ.
    Tweakfour17 and Windance like this.
  14. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

EQ2 has this. You have 'vitality' in your xp that provides a bonus that drains as you play and gain xp. It refreshes over time, so that if you don't play for a few days, you'll be back to full. I don't know which game got it first, EQ2 or WoW, or if they did it independently or borrowed the idea from some other game. But you're right. With LotD being automatic anyway, I'd be in favor of getting rid of it and doing something like that kind of vitality system instead.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Even if LotD weren't automatic, it's a good idea. Before, it was the 1st anniversary bonus, so most everybody these days would have it anyway. And the people who need this the most are newbies, who know little about how the game works. The beauty of this idea is, everyone gets the benefit, even if they don't know about it. No buff to cast, no hotkey to place, no worries about I can't answer the phone because I'm running a Lesson, dammit! ;)

And, yes, EQ2 does have this. Have played both EQ2 and WoW before, so maybe that's where I'm remembering it from.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

This is why I proposed a gear vendor that deals in Tribute. Anyone with Defiant gear can hit Kunark/PoP/LDoN and farm Tribute, and you can turn in your old stuff for Tribute when you're done with it. Cap it at 3 expansions old and you've got a path for heroic folks to gear themselves up rhrough the leveling process, rather than waiting to be PLd until they can equip current expansion gear.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The other option is to just make good use of the Bazaar. I've been doing Bazaar upgrades for years. There's enough T1 gear that's tradable so that there's always something you can upgrade to.

My crew is running around in Snowbound, with no chance of ever getting any of it myself. But the base pieces were all gotten for less than 5k each in the Bazaar. Dirt cheap.

Not 110 yet? Conflagrant is cheap, and you can get the mats yourself with Overseer. Then just find someone to do the combine for you, if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

Not 106 yet? The Latent Ether drops from CotF are tradable. They can be bought with Marks of Valor, and guaranteed you can find people with 1000s, maybe 10s of 1000s, of extra MoVs. Ask around.

Not 100 yet? ..... (You get the idea.)

For @quakedragon: The Abstruse gear from HoT is tradable. Not the drops, but the class-specific gear it turns into. Ask around in chat, you'll find someone to make the pieces for you for a reasonable price.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like the idea for "rested XP" boost that is gained while offline, certainly would help the casual crowd a ton.

Mentoring / Side-kicking, probably hard to figure out how to do it well but probably some kinda buff that boosts a player up to within 5 levels of the group's highest level player and boosts their hp/ac/mana values and abilities/spells up to that level too. Would let a lowbie gain xp and contribute to the group but I imagine the behind the scenes number crunching and logistics of that would be kinda tough for so many reasons, still it would be a good way to go I think and as a catch up mechanic its hard to beat if it can be made to work.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

Bazaar gear is nice when you can equip it if you want to level off of light blues, or fill in bad slots to go grouping. Bazaar gear is terrible if you are wearing it and trying to tank named mobs that upgrade it.
  20. GamerGramps Journeyman

A Do Not Forage feature similar to the Do Not Loot setting.

The game will let you forage the item like normal, but won't pick it up. You'll get the message something like, "You have found something you do not want and you decide to leave it where it lies."