Do we think Win11 will break the EQ launcher?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Jun 25, 2021.

1. CazRaX Elder

2.0 is supposedly the soft requirement (says it is recommended) while 1.2 is the hard requirement and it won't install without it. It can change though since this isn't cemented yet. The worse thing is right now the leak out now won't install on some "older" (like Gen 7 Intel) CPUs but this is all on an old dev leak versions and has probably changed already.
  2. Strawberry Augur

3. Strawberry Augur

1) scalpers have already bought those TPM modules and are reselling them at outrageous prices.
    2) because there is now a high demand and shortage of TPM modules, fake ones are entering the market. The module that is supposed to protect you from hacking, is now compromised.

[IMG]
  4. Strawberry Augur

Remember that Windows 11 has nothing to do with desktop or regular consumers. It has to do with business choosing Chromebooks for their employees instead of Windows laptops.

Microsoft is annoyed it is losing marketshare to chromebooks. Everything in Windows 11 is targeted at laptops, to compete with Chromebooks.

Microsoft lost a ton of marketshare in 2020, due to the pandemic people worked from home and many companies chose chromebooks instead of windows laptops. This has made Microsoft really angry because business revenue is really important to Microsoft.

That's why most of the new stuff in Windows 11 is so weird. Windows 11 adds Android apps in the store, a taksbar with touch, new touch keyboard, it is about competing with chromebooks. Specifically Microsoft is heavily integrating Teams in Windows 11 to make business switch away from chromebooks. Windows 11 is not a desktop OS, you can install it on a desktop, but everything is about laptops, specifically to regain lost marketshare to chromebooks.

Microsoft requires all Windows 11 laptops to have a webcam for videoconferencing, that is compatible with Microsoft Teams. Again, Windows 11 is not a consumer OS or desktop OS, it is a Hail Mary attempt to stop business choosing Chromebooks for their employees.

The reason for the TPM requirement is to sell new laptops with Windows to try to take back marketshare lost to Chromebooks. Without the TPM requirement, people would just be able to upgrade their old laptops, but now they have to buy new ones, which means Microsoft can claw back marketshare.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, it's like the even/odd Star Trek movies!
    Ssdar, Bardy McFly, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The TPM requirement isn't about selling new hardware. There has already been an enormous amount of new hardware sales already with Ryzen + new gen video cards + a large number of people working from home in the last year. There is so much interest in new hardware we had shortages even before covid and you can expect there to be another hardware push in the next 18-24 months anyway as even more new stuff is right around the corner: Ryzen 4, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, USB 4, etc. are all generational increases.

Likewise, the people buying chromebooks aren't salivating at the thought of a new windows version. People buy chromebooks because they are cheap / easy to use / the only thing available to them. Windows is never going to take over that market and they've tried, repeatedly. That is what Windows 8 and "tiles" were all about and we know what happened there.

Finally, Microsoft makes the majority of their money from businesses, and they are historically slow to upgrade, *especially* when it involves UI overhauls that require retraining users. They are the reason support for XP and 7 were extended again and again, and likely 10 will be as well.

The TPM thing (and secureboot in general) is about protecting the firmware of your computer. In theory this protection is to prevent hackers and ransomware from taking over your computer, but it also plays into the DRM dreams of content owners so they are likely pushing Microsoft to require it as well. TPMs have been optional up to this point, but from the moment they were first introduced the writing was on the wall that they would one day be required.

This is just the next step, and it likely isn't even the final one. I expect Microsoft will actually backpedal and NOT require the TPM for Win11, but the whole scenario will encourage more system builders to include them going forward so that when Windows 12 requires them everyone will already have one.

Frankly, they've done similar things in the past: Require something most people don't have, backpedal when confronted, wait for everyone to start getting the thing they required "just in case" and then finally add the requirement.
  7. Vlahkmaak Augur

TBH my coffee pot just broke the launcher when I tried to brew another cup...so yhea...Win11 will result in extended unintended down time; just expect the worst and you will never be disappointed or caught off guard :)
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

My coffee cup broke my DVD tray.
  9. Strawberry Augur

Ex Windows president Steven Sinofsky says Windows 11 will create needless battery/e-waste due to its arbitrary TPM requirements.

He's right of course, this will "force" business to throw out millions of laptops the day they want to upgrade to Windows 11, because systems from just a few years ago don't support TPM.

I can't believe there is still no tax on tech companies and EV companies for the giant amount of battery pollution they are causing.

[IMG]
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

Installed the official Dev channel release of Windows 11 that's available from Microsoft on a new partition.
    Created a new EQ account.
    Created a brand new install of EQ; DirectX 9 installed just fine.
    Created a new ftp character.

[IMG]

As it stands right now, EQ runs just fine on Windows 11.
  11. Laronk Augur

It's important that it works in Windows 11.

Next year new computers will have Windows 11, while for many of us it wouldn't be a big deal to buy a win 11 machine and install windows 10 for others its a big hurdle.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It was never seriously in doubt that Windows 11 would be supported.

While it is possible that some changes to Win11 might break something, EQ would be updated to handle it.
    Jumbur and Duder like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Declaring that EQ1 would never support win11, would sunset the game pretty quickly.

Im not even sure there is a big difference between win10 and win11 when it comes to software compatibility?

Although I do remember that win7(I think?) broke compatibility with a lot of old (and bad)copy-protection schemes(where you needed the original cd/dvd in the drive) that conflicted with the new win7 driver-model.
    So its nice to see that EQ1 works on win11. :)
  14. CazRaX Elder

I have Windows 11 running on a Dell Inspiron 1351 (there are ways to trick the installer) which does not have DX12 (Intel HD 4000 integrated is DX11) graphics, TPM 1.2 (let alone 2.0) and it runs EQ just fine. No changes had to be made, no compatibility changes it just works.
  15. Khat_Nip Meow

The current build doesn't have the restrictions enforced so more people can 'beta' test it.
    Allegedly the restrictions will be introduced at some point before official release.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Aside from install. issues, hardware requirements, and such, is there anything about Win11 that is likely to make the average PC user say, "Wow! I need that now"? Or is this just akin to the folks at Apple who release a new iPhone and then laugh as the drones line up to buy?
    Stymie and Metanis like this.
  17. CazRaX Elder

Oh it does, it would not install on my laptop the normal way it said that it does not meet the requirements but you can use a Windows 10 ISO and replace the wim file and you end up with Windows 11 installed and bypass the requirement check.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Strawberry Augur

Trouble ahead, Microsoft will no longer allow anyone to use a local account on Windows Home editions (the version 99% of regular consumers use). You will be forced to have a Microsoft account and connect to Microsoft's server to install and use Windows 11.

Windows 11 increasingly seems like way more trouble than it is worth. Trading privacy for a few new icons is a horrible trade off.

"Hey, here are some new icons, please give us your full name, date of birth, gender and address."

This reminds me of some new TV that will force you to set up an account before you can use the TV. Horrible where this is going.

[IMG]
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I expect people working at Microsoft lives in their own little fantasy tech-bubble, where having 10 "wearable" gadgets all logged on to the internet 24/7 is quite common. It's not the first time they have shown to be out of touch with their costumers. "Microsoft bob", anyone... :rolleyes:
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

This may be true, but Id take anything pcworld says with a grain of salt.