The End of Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Cicelee Augur

Congratulations! You have just been hired to be a part of how Everquest ends. You are responsible for how the game will sunset at some point. How would you end Everquest?

For me, I would have the final raid be an encounter with Veeshan. Could be an avatar if need be instead of the real thing. Your character is allowed one victory against the dragon. If you defeat Veeshan, your character is immediately retired and enshrined (maybe on the website). Once Veeshan dies, then all servers will begin a twelve month countdown towards sunset. This gives players a chance during that time to experience a Veeshan defeat before their toon is retired. Every month after the initial defeat, Veeshan is lessened so by the end, all who want to have a chance to defeat and experience that victory can.

Note- this thread is for entertainment purposes only. Get creative and have fun if you want.
    Issk, Elyssanda and minimind like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The final quest should take place in an instanced version of your hometown, where all the npcs cheer on you, the returned hero of Norrath.
    Then the guildmaster npc(the one you spawned at, as level 1) buys you a drink in the lokal tavern...

...then you wake up in the Feerrott as level 85, with Morell Thule laughing at you, saying it was all just a dream...:eek:

THE END!

:p

Scarlet.mp3 should play to the end-credits...
    With a montage of your screenshots in the background. :cool:
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Well, some people are superstitious and "End of EverQuest" threads can jinx.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

If I was in charge I'd push a massive amount of sales in the Store. I'd jack up the price of next expansion by about 30% and offer a must-have mount as a reward for pre-pay in order to jack up sales to the max.

Then when I scheduled the expansion release I'd just never restart the servers. Cya chump!
    Vumad likes this.
  5. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

You missed a step. Reoffer lifetime subs for just eq. And sunset 3 months later
    Leerah, Metanis and Nennius like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

7. minimind The Village Idiot

An unknown force is dragging Luclin toward Norrath. None of the gods are coming to the rescue. Many resent our constantly repeated impudence. Those still willing to speak to us only offer comfort or congratulations for living this long. Acknowledging the end of Norrath is inevitable, the greatest adventurers begin to return home.

Achievement: "A Hero's Journey Ends" - The completion of the solo, group, and raid instances below.
    • Reward: Access to instance similar to the Light/Dark Wedding instance where you, your group, your guild, or your raid can gather. Vendors, punching bags, etc. abound. (This is screenshot central.)
    Solo Quest: "You never forget the way home..."

Class-based solo instance that results in the player being offered the opportunity to serve as a Guildmaster in their home towns, advising initiates in the ways of their class. But wait! Knowing that existence is coming to an end, your hometown's historic enemies are making one last-ditch effort to destroy your civilization before the moon does! (Trolls attack frogs. Erudite goodie-two-shoes attack the Heretics across Toxxulia. Orcs climb to Kelethin!). Success is gauged by advice given prior to the battle and heroic actions taken during the battle relative to class focus:
    • Berserker: Body count.
    • Warrior: Minimize damage to others
    • Cleric: Total HP healed
    • Etc.
    • Reward: Title/Surname, Screenshottable scene showing your character as class GM.
    Group/Raid Instances:"In the blink of an eye..."
    Norrath and Luclin both are beginning to feel the effects of their shrinking distance. The end is near. Zebuxoruk comes to you (and your raid/group) and says that if the mortals die, then he will choose to end his existence as well. But before you go, he wants you to remember that despite us collectively ceasing to exist... we did a lot with our time while we were here. Zebuxoruk pulls you and your group/raid into a splinter of time. Everything that follows happens in the tiniest fraction of a second before Luclin and Norrath finally collide.
    • Group-based instance where Zebuxoruk pulls your group through the various iconic group quests/missions throughout the span of EQ. Two modes:
      • Easy: Fewer mechanics, more about the experience. (Example: Anashti Sul wouldn't have so many scripted fail risks.) HP and damage scale level 100-110, but cap at level 110 difficulty. It's about the experience.
      • Hard : Many, but not all of the mechanics in place. Mercs should be usable. (Example: Anashti Sul wouldn't have the snare or the cure mechanic.)
      • Reward: Unique very class-specific armor sets for Easy and Hard modes.
    • Raid-based instance where Zebuxoruk pulls your raid through the various iconic raid encounters throughout the span of EQ. HP and damage scale level 100-110, but cap at level 110 difficulty. It's about the experience. Two modes:
      • Easy: Fewer mechanics, more about the experience. (Example: Anashti Sul wouldn't have so many scripted fail risks.) HP and damage scale level 100-110, but cap at level 110 difficulty. It's about the experience. Can be done in group format with mercs (again, for the experience).
      • Hard: Many, but not all of the mechanics in place. (Example: Older events lose some of their more complex mechanics.)
      • Reward: Unique very class-specific Primary/Secondary/Ranged ornamentations for Easy and Hard mode.
    After the final encounter is completed, Zebuxoruk brings you back to Norrath just before Luclin and Norrath collide. All goes dark. There is a final message.
    Well met, traveler. Thank you for... everything.
    The gods of Norrath appear as you walk down a grand hallway. There is a bright light at the end. You leave the instance once you fully walk into it.
  8. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

No sunset of Everquest can begin without a meteor strike on Rivervale followed by an incurable genetic dot that slowly kills every assling.
    Flatchy and Nennius like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

We dwarves concur with this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Life is depressing which is why I play this game and now thinking of this is also depressing.

It would be a good idea to make a huge therapy room for those of us who will have withdrawal and other issues.

The Hero's return to the home town sounds nice.

No special reward since those things get leaked and average Joe player never wins them

I would like a chance to get Ticka's sword and stab all those players who tried to copy his name;)
  11. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

I would actually like it to go the opposite direction. We far to often have the "hero" come out victorious and living a happy life after. I would actually like a new wave of discord, where discord wins.

Or perhaps the bad guys are finally beaten (us). The various races over the years rise up and take out the adventuring heroes... We are not the good guys in most of eq, we are greedy power hungry mortals who think we are doing the right thing.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ive always thought the last expansion would be veeshan as final boss. I just when it does end its not out of blue and we dont get a real good last expansion. I remember them canceling married with children could been a good last season even the actors found out on vacation it was cancelled. I personally would make veeshan unkillable doesnt mean you couldnt get close to killing but would always come up short.

Andarriel
  13. minimind The Village Idiot

I did enjoy getting raided in Mastery of Corruption (OoW - MPG)
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

No, I am not partaking in this.

I opt out.

Shame on you!
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Marton Augur

Nope.

I don't have much time for gaming these days and the small amount of time I have, I would prefer to spend playing, questing, raiding etc., not thinking how to kill the game.

Yeah, I guess I'm an un-fun person. :p.
  16. Etha Journeyman

Wonder if the chat servers would be brought down at the same time. If not, how long will people hang around in there. And the people that don't read forums going into chat and asking how long the patch is for....

I can also see a server wide message saying the servers are going down in 30 minutes but actually going down 2 minutes later.
  17. Elskidor Augur

Make everyone KoS to everything and create all out chaos. Open the zone lines and let Freeport and Qeynos fight to death. PoK will be a hell zone and monks can enjoy training the traders in Baz with NPCs. Enjoy getting punched in the face when trying to buy your spells or use the bank. The last week permadeath will be unlocked and the gods will roam the world tracking any player until even the toughest guild crumbles. The last few remaining will win a lifetime sub to EQ and then end credits will roll as skeleton laughter repeats until the screen goes black and says "You Have Been Disconnected."
  18. GoneFission Augur

The game won’t end, per se. it will just respond slower and slower. Bards at selo’s will eventually be the only players still moving as they walk slowly between frozen players and their mobs. Eventually the gameplay reaches absolute zero and all motion stops. When you log back in, the game will enter an endless patch loop. Customer service will post that they are looking into an issue, and the game should be back up in two hours.

Forum Questers will demand a double XP weekend.
    Flatchy likes this.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

All servers crash.
    Upon restart, every area in game is PvP.
    When you die your character is deleted.
    No new characters can be made.
  20. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

The Gods are angry. No more weak avatars. The real Norrath Gods will arrive. Every zone in the game will be occupied by a God or a demi God. They will cast an irresistible zone wide AE that hands out 1 billion points of damage. Every 10 seconds they will cast this. When you die, which you will, you will be disconnected, never to return.

The end.