What happens to the Felwhite epic plaques on server merge?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I wonder what happens to the Felwhite plaques on a server merge? I suspect the original server (the server that is not being merged into) keeps the names on their plaques.

It is not a big issue for me personally but it might be a sore point for longtime players.
    dank likes this.
  2. GoneFission Augur

I would expect the treatment to depend on how they consider the servers merged. The couple of major server merges I remember, neither was credited as the “receiving” server. The servers were merged as equals, even when the newly created server kept one of the names.

Maybe they set a server1 wall and a server2 wall. Maybe the combined server firsts.
    Benito likes this.
  3. dank Journeyman

I've wondered about this as well.
    Benito likes this.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

From what I saw on Ragefire (Lockjaw => Ragefire merge) Ragefire kept theirs...mostly. _IF_ it was completed earlier on Lockjaw, there may have been a replacement. I don't know all the toon names or when who got what for all 16 classes on both servers.. so I can't answer that really.

The one thing that did happen: If the player on the "Original server" has been deleted or, the plaque does not fill out with the the person from the incoming server. It stays blank and can be obtained by the first person to notice and complete it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Benito like this.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Wow, I feel silly being a 20+ year vet, but what is this thread about? Any link to explain?
  6. niente Developer

For this, source world records are deleted - so Selo's plaques would be replaced full by the Povar ones in the upcoming merge.

Edit: I can try to do something special to preserve both, but not sure it will work.
    minimind, Jyve, Act of Valor and 9 others like this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thank you for the insight, Niente!

It would be cool if there was a way to keep both (especially if a few more merges are planned) but obviously deferring to your expertise (feasibility of time/ease of fix). If it works out, would it list both names (<player> of <server>) on click? :)
    dank likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If you go to Felwhite (High Elf City), near the Epic Ornament NPC, you will see two bridge towers with plaques of various Epic Retelling ornaments. If you click on the plaque, you will see the name of the player who completed the Epic Retelling event of that particular class.
    Tatanka likes this.
  9. WorriedinNorrath Elder

At this point they have been up for almost 10 years. Not really an issue imo unless ego is involved. Don't waste valuable developer time on this.
  10. dank Journeyman

I think it would be nice if things like this could be preserved through server merges, especially as more merges happen in the future.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Based on what others have said, TLP players have more recently put their names on the plaques. (It may be a highlight for them). Other reasons are that those plaques may include the names of well-known retired or deceased players. A small portion of players may feel sad/upset - ego or otherwise.

But I would agree if a conciliatory fix is too much trouble then I'd defer to Niente's expertise or default scenario (original server names stand).
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

While the plaque's are nifty... would it be much easier to grant those who've completed them first (on their server) a title? I think trying to merge them might be a bit extensive in comparison to something that can be granted without the complications.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Back in 2016 they came out with a quest called Epic Request/Epic Retelling (http://www.bonzz.com/dawn.htm)

The first player of each class on each server that finished it got a plaque in Felwhite with their name on it.

It is tainted for many since this first server award reward was leaked out to a chosen few on certain servers.

However many of us still enjoy doing the quest since the reward are ornaments made to look like which ever epic you have so you can make your higher level weapon look like your epic. And you can have more than one
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  14. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

My goodness ... can someone please spell Felwithe correctly?

Time spend on this could instead be spent on having the devs write up something for customer service on the Essence of the Dragon rewards getting stuck in the rewards window:
    Confirmed - Essence of the Dragon - unable to grant award | EverQuest Forums (daybreakgames.com)
    so that people didn't have to keep submitting petitions until getting lucky.

I understand that not everything can be fixed, but it is really frustrating as a long time customer that this type of thing gets a developer response while many other issues sit untouched.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ok, who woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

The original post was a query and not a request. From time to time, players will inquire into trivial but cute aspects of the game (e.g. Vaniki spawn mechanic, Sverag on hunter achievement, etc).

If anything, the epic plaques, PoK Fanfare book, and Aradune memorial are unique aspects of the game. The Epic Retelling quest line and plaques were caring projects of Dzarn, I believe. Also, remember the idea of permanent changes and voxels on EQNext? If this dynamic environment is workable, the devs could institute a 'Book of Remembrance' or memorial for players or guilds we've lost over the years (but not necessarily naming them specifically).

Edit: If you click on the 'Staff Post Tracker', Ratalthor and Niente have responded to several bugs today (28 June). I defer to their expertise and judgment on the matter.

If you want a smash-mouth stats game, play Madden.
    Wyre Wintermute and Ssdar like this.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The plaques in Felwithe are a part of EQ history, there is no reason to ask for their destruction.
    Barraind, Jyve, Bardy McFly and 2 others like this.
  17. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Not sure where you have been for the last 25+ years but MMO's and even MUD's are nothing BUT World Firsts, EGO's and Accomplishment bragging. Its literally a game within the game for decades. There was even a huge bar fight at a SOE FanFaire over a '''World First" and 2 guilds fighting in real life over it.
    Wyre Wintermute and Ssdar like this.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

I am the only person on the Felwithe plaques on Selo that was active at the time the server died. I vote not to preserve them lol.
  19. niente Developer

20. minimind The Village Idiot

I have no skin in the game here, but think it's super cool that to found a solution.
    Jyve likes this.