More Server Mergers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by IrongronAlt, Jun 27, 2021.

1. IrongronAlt New Member

How about more than just Selos/Povar..think pretty much all of them have population issues that would benefit everyone....
    Leerah likes this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They have yet to say what they are doing with Phinny now it has reached live and Miragul is due to reach live soon.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

There's probably 6 or so Live servers that are stable and healthy in population.

I can see TLP servers merge into low pop Live servers but merging Live servers into each other would be antithetical.
    Coagagin, Bardy McFly and code-zero like this.
  4. Riou EQResource

There are 6 or so live servers that could easily merge, plus like 2/3 of the tlp
    Gyurika Godofwar and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Live population based on server status (this Sunday afternoon):

AB - Medium
    Bertox - High
    Bristlebane - High
    Cazic - Medium
    Drinal - Medium
    EMarr - Medium
    FV - High
    Luclin - Medium
    Povar - Medium
    Rathe - Medium
    Tunare - Medium
    Vox - Low
    Xegony - Medium
    Zek - Low

I would put Bertox, Bristlebane, FV, and Xegony as stable. Cazic, EMarr, and Luclin are likely stable. AB used to be a consistently high pop server?
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Derd Augur

Put drinal as stable, no need for more people.
    Coagagin and code-zero like this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

AB was confirmed by Dreamweaver a while back that it wouldn't be merged, it is a bit of a special server due to where it is located and the playtime of those on it. If they do what they did with Selos and allow free transfers off to other servers (when merged or prior to merge), most of the Euros (if not all) will head to AB.

The only 2 servers in Hollys inverview that she said wouldn't be merged were Xegony and Luclin. Things may have changes since then though.

Majority of players from Selo, transfered to Bert prior to the up and coming merge to Povar, which is possibly why they are looking at being high now.
    Benito likes this.
  8. Riou EQResource

been doing charts of 6 month averages (of course mischief and thornblade are just released like 2 weeks prior so not the full 6 months of data that the rest have) for the last year or so (this is #3 iirc)

listed in order at their highest population % reached, this is WITH peak pop of the year due to being post Expansion release + holidays, averages and status downtime wont make it exactly 100%

[IMG]
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Please don't regard this is a unsolicited attack or critique. I am trying to fully understand the chart (should I cite it in the future).

I presume this the percentages reflect the peak from the last 6 month baseline (100%)?

What is the methodology used?

Are you collecting your data based on General Chat numbers or systemically going through /who all? At how many times per day?

What do you think are the possible shortcomings of your data (e.g. does not account for anonymous or roleplay players, includes mules, taken only on certain weeknights or non-raid nights for some guilds, etc)?

In the past, it has been difficult to count population. Respectfully.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Pretty clear from his post. Lists the servers with their population status from DBG website (high, medium low). The ones with numbers under "high" had at least 1 time it was listed as high. And the % is the amount of times it was listed as high. The ones listed under medium have NEVER listed as high during the time, and the % is how much of the time they were listed as medium. The ones listed under low have NEVER been anything but low.

The lack of 100% on the low is due to times servers were down or whatever so had an value add without being H, M, L.

Basically, TLPs die and need to get nuked way before they get live. Emar, Povar, Vox stink, and I assume AB stinks unless he was not checking during the middle of the night during their prime time, in which case they may be fine.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thanks for the clarification.

I presumed Riou had his/her own baselines and absolute numbers.

Obviously, concerns now turn to how Darkpaw defines High, Medium, and Low as well as the population range within each designated tier (e.g. Medium could include a wide range of 500-1,250 players online, High anything over 1,250). Additionally, there may be concerns about skew and bias related to frequency and timing of the samples as well as quirks on Darkpaw's end (relative parameters or inaccurate measurement).
  12. Atomos Augur

At what time of day is this being done and how many times per day?
  13. Tucoh Augur

Merge xegony into Zek. Some men just want to see the world burn.
    Benito likes this.
  14. Riou EQResource

every 10 minutes (using Daybreak's Server Status API which are gotten direct from what the EQ Servers themselves respond with), so each server has ~25,920 data points over the previous 6 months, besides thornblade and mischief of course since they were just like 2 weeks old at that time

This is true we don't know the #'s they consider high vs medium vs low, on darkpaws end it generally updates every 1-3 minutes, but we don't match that up exactly, but the averages should help push relative amounts vs each other at least

The only thing I think we know is that TLP's were able to double server pop in general compared to Live, and they cap at something like 4k accounts online at the same time (though the 4k TLP cap may be rumors)
    Nennius likes this.
  15. IrongronAlt New Member

The raiding population is the issue, need more people looking to raid. Now I dont know what goes on the other servers, but we have 4 guilds here and there not filling raids....
    Leerah likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

AB has 3 raid guilds, 2 completed CoV, 1 still working on it (I believe they have full raids)
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It is my conviction that every single TLP when it reaches live should then be offered a free transfer window so that all of the players there may go to a live server of their choosing.
    (Except Mischief & Thornblade which due to Free Trade can only go to FV).

Especially since European players are playing on TLP servers in decent numbers and there is but one Live server physically located in the EU and which has any appreciable Live EU population (AB). Every other Live server is almost entirely USA players bar one which has an AU guild on it (where AU TLP players would aim for).

By the time most TLP reach live and have that free transfer there will be little to no players left on it anyway, whatever server it gets merged with will see next to no improvement in their population as a result.

If live servers are going to get impactful mergers it will be with other live servers, the issues around names of players is the resistance point, and players on a low pop server will need to decide if holding onto a name is worth their server struggling to have enough players, because at some point that resisting mergers from devotion to names is damaging your servers longevity - it's a touchy subject because EQ never had a global name system to begin with & that's at the root of the issue.
    There are solutions to the naming issue but they are inelegant, such as adding a number to the end of the forename which is not visible above the character's head but just in chat channels and on their player inventory panel.
    So if I moved to a server that already had a couple of other players with the same name as I have my name would have a 3 at the end in chats but viewed in world you only see the name not the number at the end. But then you maybe end up with 300 legolas rangers.

The answer Live players want is not the one they've been getting for around 17 years (overall more players playing EQ live), but there's a glimmer of hope there, in a post-revamp EQ.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I do recall one of the staff explained the TLP cap being set at 4k, that's not the absolute cap though just the "comfort cap" they tried with Aradune raising the cap up to 6k to reduce queues but the server lagged out so badly over 4k it just wasn't worth playing on it so it was brought back down.

What the max cap of a TLP is therefore doesn't matter.

But at 4K TLP have a far larger cap than the existing Live servers do, confirmed by staff also, but when you consider the massively larger processing load of a live player in CoV versus a TLP player in classic it makes sense, TLP slowly scale down in players over time & by the time they reach live are well below any live server number anyway. If that didn't happen it would force needing to reduce the cap over time.

It is yet another reason that the lag that occurs on live servers in raids has to be addressed - if it continues or even escalates it actually makes many server merges impossible to consider. Unaddressed it would also force lowering caps on live servers further, FV & Bristle would in that scenario see queues.

Future development of the game needs to address that processing load per player budget or all we end up with is a need to ramp up server processing capacity a lot or reduce server caps even further.
    Less but bigger hits from players, abilities and spells combined, reduction of the need for "spam bar play" with a bit of a retrograde step back towards strategic play - there's a lot of stuff to work on, combat processing bloat is probably leaving us with a game that requires some pruning to create headroom for character growth.
    Leerah likes this.
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

20. Leerah Augur

The merger isn't going to help Povar one little bit. Everyone already left Selo.

jeskola and Joules_Bianchi like this.