3 box minimum raiding

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Neemo1983, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Probably. I had to work at killing T2 named in group gear. Later on TBL is about the same as Underfoot relatively speaking.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

No it isn't. Unless your other 3 are healer mercs.
  3. Chaosflux Augur

Nah you don't need 3 healer mercs, maybe 1 till you get some T6/T7 gear, you just have to use the Sk and shaman abilities appropriately, by that point SK should be spamming taps/Shaman should be blasting heals (mending) on recast. Its rough but very doable in group gear. You choose your targets during the gearing up phase alittle cautiously, try to farm the UF mantle disc As fast as feasible. Its far far easier than it actually was in era now.

Everything after that gets tremendously easier expansions wise, by the time the harder more current expansions come out SK are fully in their OP AF state (since you mentioned TBL) and shamans and mages only get stronger and stronger post UF. Teams bullet proof, like I said I did almost a parallel to that team With Pal/Shm/Mag on phinny and then Miragul (missed UF on that server since started in HOT) its not that bad, especially since by the point it comes out on a TLP you should be pretty accustomed to how to play each of the classes, have the Sk 2.0 etc

UF is the worst of it, and its way easier now.
  4. Vlahkmaak Augur

Bard running /melody would be a great choice. That is my current 3rd for a warrior/shaman box team. I ran War/Sha on Aradune and liked it but the dps could be a bit slow so was thrilled when this ruleset (Mischief) was announced. The added auto attacks of the bard/+songs work out great for me and my play style which sounds not unlike your own - i play as I can around family time and other responsibilities. I could get things done with the WAR/SHA and had a great guild over there but playtimes were sporadic. The 3rd box, currently a bard for me, is really a great addition.

Another option would be to add a BST when it becomes avail. Pets are great added DPS and BST pets can off tank with shammy buffs quite well if needed + they eventually get a stun proc buff which is really great. They also add more auto attack DPS and you can reach over and burn discs as needed. The kitty crack would be a great addition for the SK and the Shaman. Most buffs would be a ghetto duplication but the BST pet + the SHA pet would rock for added dps. As an SK you can snare and pull better than a warrior too so I think that team would rock. Alternatively you could switch the cleric for heavier heals and tank buffs and then use the ghetto shammy versions on the BST to maximize buffage.

I craft my own gear so until 15 I was in basic crafted leather - before that wnat ever dropped - and the game plays just fine - no need to buy anything unless you really want too. Finally just saved enough rusty weapon drops to raise smithing to 80+ and begin crafting banded so I am now half way geared off just killing, looting rusty weapons and every ruined+ pelt that drops and still having a blast. The 3rd box really makes a difference. As others have stated necro is also a solid choice as is the mage. Really comes down to your play style.

You can manage dps/mana on the mages by using smaller/older lvl nukes and having them cast a few then sit and reach over and rinse/repeat.
  5. Green_Mage Augur

Mage is probably the way to go. Other good boxes like enchanter or bard are too difficult to box with your current set up. Unless you're experienced at running software (and break the server rules). You can also use the mage to coth others to your group spot if you decide to take in some LFGs.
  6. Bullsnooze Augur

Upon the server reaching The Serpent's Spine you may find that a group geared tank in the upper tiered content is inadequate, (or at least I have). When the server reaches the Secrets of Faydwer it becomes even more apparent.

I've had mixed results in group gear in later expansions.

For example, around House of Thule (on Phinny), I had a SK in full T3-4 group with the necessary AAs. Upon reaching Veil of Alaris my poor SK was getting flattened like a pancake in just T1. My raid geared SK friends (in Thule/Underfoot gear), focus Air/Earth pets, and even mercenaries seemed to be far more beefier than I was.
  7. Chaosflux Augur

Weird I skipped HOT and went into VOA with Convorteum/T8 group gear and don't remember it being that bad, had to get some gear before I could pull larger trash packs, was good for 2 or 3 in T1/T2, T3 i had to pull singles, but Beast Domain was a pretty big jump up in difficulty from Sarith.

Were you trying to facetank your way through it without chain lifetapping/cycling cooldowns or something? Tanking gets pretty active the closer you get to live, and the less active you are the squishier you are. Using Carapace/mantle, 2 0/COA chest, and your other chest clicks staggered throughout, Fishing for killshots to get MC procs. If the answer is "oh I only hit those when I need them", or something similar that type of playstyle doesn't really jive very well with the meta close to live and would explain your perceived squishiness.
  8. Bullsnooze Augur

Nope, I was hitting all the tanky abilities and such and my group consisted of 2 real people boxing 2 accounts each. We had an SK, Bard (CC), Shaman (Healer), and Monk. These four were in T3 (1300hp/mp) HoT group gear by VoA launch. I believe T1 VoA gear starts at 1400 hp/mp and I immediately upgraded to that stuff and we were able to squeeze into T2. VoA T1 group gear is equivalent to T4 HoT by the way. If you were in group gear from Underfoot, I don't think you'd be able to survive a T1 named in VoA.

Like we had to forgo using 2 damage mercenaries and include a Cleric for the Shaman to keep up with healing versus the damage output of enemies.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Can you tell me why the bard is most likely better if I go beyond POP expansion?

I'm going SK / Shaman but will add only a 3rd and I'd pick mage because I quit around POP anyhow but I think on this server since gear will not be an issue I'd try Bard?

I've never done this combo and I'm a slow boxer... Thanks.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

It's interesting how we look back on past expansions. I don't recall having any particular problem tanking in VoA with the same tank you had. Tanking that sword that splits into two for the partisan task was iffy, though.
  11. Fred_Bear Lorekeeper

RNG + SHM + BARD combo here. Ranger is my Main.... the Sham/Bard are in Group and some raid slots pickedup here and there.

Did all of SoF Progression by myself in a mix of TSS / TBS Raid gear.
    Did all of SoD Progression by myself in a mix of SoF Raid gear.
    Did all of UF Progression by myself (with mercs) In a mix of SoF Raid gear. (Yes, SoF)
    Did all of HoT Progression by myself (with mercs) in UF raid Gear.

With Cleric Mercs, Sham Slows/Buffs/Spot heals and Bards to use for Single pulls and Crowd Control, your choice of "Tank" (In my case a Ranger) won't necessarily make or break you... In fact during SoD with the introduction of mercs, I let the Tank Merc do the tanking and I DPS / Pull / Slow on the other 3.... I had to be a more active tank in UF/HoT because the mercs don't scale well.

I think you will wish you had more DPS in your crew, rather than more "Tanking" in your crew once you get to the 85+ eras.

If I were to make a "perfect" 6 Box -- Warrior, Ranger, Bard, Shaman, Berzerker, Cleric.

To me, those 6 are the perfect group.

Maximum Tanking. (War)
    Capable Offtanking. (Ranger/Ber)
    Melee Synergy (Sham/Bard/Ranger/Ber)
    Best Buffs (Cler / Sham)
    Heals and Slows (Cler / Sham)
    CC / Single Pulls (Bard/Ranger)
    Melee DPS (Zerk/Ranger/War)
    Ranged DPS (Ranger/Sham/Bard)
    Fire, Cold, Poison, Disease, Magic --- DD/DoTs (Ranger/Sham/Bard)
    Rezzes (Cler/Sham)

It would be hard for me to say there is a better group makeup.... do other classes have + and -? yes. Can you swap in different tanks/dps/healers? Yes. Would I take an Ench over a Bard? Sometimes. All the time? No. Same with Pal/SK... Maybe I'd take the Paladin over the Warr.... Maybe.