Lack of Content for COV?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lidwen, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

At best you were adjacent to his point. Stopping expansions for one year or stopping them permanently might end up not being much different. Once you stop the merry-go-round, people will get off. If enough people don't get back on, it's not going to spin again.

As far as looking for an enemy, you might want to reread that thread, I'm not the only one who was put off by your argument style. Some things are hard to convey by text, maybe you aren't combative and arrogant, but that's how you come off. Some people find me hard to take sometimes, and we get off on the wrong foot. Usually we can clear it up, and people get used to my style of forum-warrioring.

In the end, the logic of the argument is all that matters. Stopping expansions, even for one year, would be a bad idea, period. If you aren't playing among a group of people where you can see how obvious that is, then you should at least be able to perceive their existence, or take their word for it on the forums. Maybe they will delay an expansion, so it pushes to 18 months instead of 12. That would be a risk, but possibly the least risky of these suggestions. They should certainly consider avoiding any risk in dropping expansion income, but if they have to take one, it should be the smallest one possible.
    Stymie, Tatanka and Skuz like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This would be the equivilent of unlocking the next expansion on TLP servers every 6 months instead of 2 or 3 months. Even if that was dropped to 4 - 5 months, lots would still stop playing and not come back. Especially if the last one unlocked was something like PoR where it was a bit lacking.

They could possibly delay it a month, to iron out bugs but nothing any longer than that and the content quality would need to be worth the extra wait.
    Stymie, Skuz, Axel and 1 other person like this.
  3. Atomos Augur

Unlike your condescending remark about me "only being around here a week" in another thread, I've been reading and posting on these forums for years. I'm quite aware that combative and arrogant is the standard for forums - any forum - whether I'm here or not. I'm not behaving any differently than you are.

But really you're just upset because you think me saying a 1 year expansion skip means I don't care about/hate Live something you enjoy. When I've continually repeated that the type of upgrades discussed would benefit Live more than anything. You're too busy seeing it as 1 year of Live not getting anything or benefitting, which isn't at all the case.

In the end, you might want to get real used to the idea of a 1 year expansion skip. Just sayin.

It's truly sad how little faith you have in DBG and the community.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Wasn't it you that said you had only been back a short time? I was saying that if you've only been back a short time, you shouldn't base your opinion on a couple threads posted in one week. The things you said didn't happen, do happen, just not all the time. I've only been back since February, and I've got a long history on the forums also.

My problem is that you are arguing things you have no experience with, as if you do have experience with them, and referencing the occasional forum complaint as your evidence. Your entire opinion of the top end of the game, as you've laid it out so far, is based on zero experience with it. You don't know what it's like to play recent content, yet you malign it with the confidence of someone who has. That's ill-advised at best. People who know better will come along and correct you, and then you argue with them, again with no experience, versus their actual experience. Those who know what they are talking about will see right through you, as they have.

The reason I'm upset is that you fail to understand that raiders and hardcore players, who are the core of this game, will not be happy with a skipped or delayed expansion. It's literally what they wait around for the rest of the year for when they finish the current one. They are even telling you this in this thread. And to be clear, I'm not one of them. I haven't set foot in TBL, ToV, or CoV yet (beyond buying spells). So I don't argue about things related to those expansions, but I trust the word of those who have. I know what it's like to have a character as high as 112, multiple classes in fact. I know what it's like to play EoK and RoS content.

If they skip or delay an expansion, it won't hurt me personally, but it will hurt the game. I have plenty of faith in DBG/DPG and the community. Faith that they know what they are talking about, faith that they are giving their honest opinions. I don't think DPG would willingly do something they know would hurt the game. If they do delay or skip an expansion that means they had to, for whatever reason. I'm hoping it doesn't get to that point, at least any time soon.
    Stymie likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

For my crew Underfoot and ToV were about the same in terms of difficulty. The one redeeming feature of ToV (to me anyway) is that you could go anywhere with dual invis. Not even the named see invis. Some folks don't like that, I guess.
  6. Atomos Augur

I'm not going to do this much longer with you, it's a waste of time and repeating myself gets old.

I came back to the game recently, you don't need to be subscribed to a game to visit its forums and keep up with the game, the content launches and news, their issues, and the complaints players have. These forums also aren't the only place to get involved with the community.

You complain about me referencing forum comments and then you go and do the very same thing yourself. What's the point of that? Only you are allowed to reference comments? And then you completely ignore the thread where there was a very clear split on whether or not people wanted to go without an expansion for a year.

Apparently people's comments only matter when they align with your agenda.

On top of all of that, you say I have no experience to be commenting on any of this stuff and then go and once again do exactly that, commenting on everything while saying you haven't played the last 3 expansions. OK, why is it OK for you to do that but not me?

Surely you can begin to see how any dialogue with you feels pointless and one sided?
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you found ToV hard, what did you make of TBL?
    What gear did you have going into Underfoot and ToV?
  8. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yes, I'm aware of that. My point is that I have actually played and experienced the game in the later expansions, but not the most recent content yet, although I am working on getting there currently. What's your highest level character? What expansions have you played it in? What experience are you commenting from? We get a lot of people who never went past PoP that malign the late game. You've played later than that, as you've said, but don't seem to have played in the newer content. It's fine to use the forum complaints as a reference, but when you get pushback from people who actually have experience you don't (not just me), it might be good to listen to them. In this thread they don't seem to think skipping or delaying an expansion would be a good idea.

Yes, I ignored the thread where TLP players said they didn't care if Live players got an expansion. That's the "EQ sucks after PoP" crowd, they also have no experience with current content to comment on. In that thread it came up to check with the Veteran's Lounge crowd, so here we are, in a thread you pointed at no less.

I have plenty of experience to be commenting on this stuff. I don't have plenty of experience to be commenting on the specifics of TBL, ToV, and CoV. The spells and some AA's, yes, but not the lands, quests, or other content. I also comment very little about raiding, because I don't raid. But I do know that raiders need stuff to raid or they will get bored, they say it here all the time.

I mean I'm only going to argue the points I believe to be true, so one-sided, yes if the other side isn't making a good argument. I lose arguments here all the time, and I concede points, when people use logic and reality to defeat my argument. Whether or not it feels pointless depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are arguing that it's not a big deal to delay or skip an expansion, I won't be the only one you are arguing with, so it may quickly feel pointless as people come in and say that's a bad idea.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Solanli Journeyman

If they are going to keep releasing trash like COV - they should stop making expansions. It is better to let something die with good memories than see it to a miserable death.
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Judgemental much? 2020 was a sucky year. People had to deal with a LOT of stuff that we were all unprepared for, and California went NUTS on the rules and regulations it implemented. The lead designer's wife had cancer. They lost manpower. I'm thrilled they got an expansion out at ALL last year. No, it's not the best expansion they've put out, but at least it was something functional, mostly. Yes there have been some problems with it, but taking last year into consideration, it COULD have been worse.
    Skuz, Ssdar, Andarriel and 1 other person like this.
  11. Windance Augur

The biggest issue I have with COV is the type 5 coin from HA's.

Having to do 200+ missions to max out your type 5's is just painful. Given that 3 of 4 missions are 'challenging' just makes it brutal.

In RoS you got enough coin after doing all four missions to buy a single item.

I'm fairly active in helping returning players get 'raid ready' and there is a fair amount of grumbling from returning players about the massive time sinks in CoV/ToV with regard to 111-115, type 5s, and to a lesser extent getting ores/bricks.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Id rather have a so so expansion than no expansion at all! Im a non raider. Expansions with level increases seem to be best.

Andarriel
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Doesn’t matter, it’s a business not a charity and the market judges product that’s released. The bar for EQ expansions is very, very low relative to the rest of the gaming industry. CoV, most certainly fell below those hurdles.

There’s no real creative demands on the team with not needing to make and implement new concepts in regards to spells, AA, gear, quests, missions and raids. Create a handful of zones populate with NPCs mix in a few rare mobs, create some basic kill and fetch quests, and sprinkle some collections around. Raids, they try to be creative but missions are just the stripped down versions. It all takes work, but creatively it’s not very taxing and can be compared to “Ready to Assemble” furniture.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable with someone continually bringing up my private life over and over. I get that it was in a public interview, but some topics are best left not to discuss.
  14. Valbarab New Member

Do we know if there'll be an expansion released in the next 12 months or so ? I've held off buying CoV because it's light on content. A number of my friends have also. I suspect if they put in on sale around 40% off I'd pick it up rather than wait for the next xpac but running 6 accounts plus a few I just run for buffs it's pretty expensive.
  15. Riou EQResource

Yes, should be another in early December time, with the standard like 50%? or whatever off sale a few months before leading up to "pre-orders" like they have the past few years
  16. Bigstomp Augur

I'm very sure they will announce it at the time if it becomes a thing.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Since the advent of the F&F edition with ToV they only gave 25% discount so I expect CoV to repeat that.

I would rather they "split" the discounts we only got 25% off the F&F edition but we still got 50% off the other versions as you would prior to the advent of the F&F editions but I am not holding my breath.

All it means for me is buying a max of 3 regular editions of the latest expansion and not buying any expansions for my other 2 accounts at all ever again.

For multi-account holders who only purchased when the prior 50% discounts kicked in the advent of the F&F pack was not good news.
  18. Windance Augur

The best 'value' for expansions is to just get them when they go live.

By the time they give you 25% or 50% off the expansion you might get 2-3 months before the next expansion goes live.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Really depends on circumstances.

For one example I know that there are TLP players who would buy the CE editions of expansions once the 50% discount kicked in knowing they can use the items from it later on when their TLP "gets there" that are less inclined to buy at only a 25% discount.

Probably hasn't been a big deal in the grand scheme but lost income is lost income.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That statement is only true if you feel compelled to always be in the latest content with the majority of the crowd.... in which case, you didn't wait for 10-11 months to get the latest expac!

For the behind-the-curve crowd, the discount before the new expac comes out can be a very good value. I've taken advantage of it when coming back from a break, and have no interest in the upcoming expac, because I know I won't be going there for a while. Either that, or I buy the new expac when it first comes out, because I also don't have the expac before it.
    Skuz and Elyssanda like this.