Do we think Win11 will break the EQ launcher?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Captain Video Augur

As if it wasn't broken enough already, what with some of its embedded HTML code not working under Win10+MS Edge. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Aenvar likes this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

When Win 10 came out, did you change from 7?

I am in no hurry to jump.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I would be more worried about it breaking EQ as we don't know if windows 11 will still support direct x 9 or not.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Most people did not. It seems to me that if Win10 meets your needs there is no reason to be an early adopter of Win 11. I plan to wait a few months after the release of Win 11 for the inevitable bugs to be found and fixed and then I will consider upgrading.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I never upgrade Windows on any PC I have (not talking about patches). They support older versions of Windows til long after my PCs bite the dust. If your Win10 box works fine, you're set. Don't worry about Win11 til you get your next PC.
  7. Pano Augur

minimind likes this.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

'So far' Microsoft has said that Windows 10 will be supported up until Oct. 14, 2025, which is 4.25 years from now so no real rush to upgrade if you don't want to.
  9. Svann2 The Magnificent

And what about the people that play at work?
    Wont someone think about the slackers??
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Kinda amazing in a way. A game developed on Windows 95/98/NT4.0 and here we are worrying whether it will run 20+ years later on the newest version of Windows.
  11. Cicelee Augur

I am significantly more concerned about Win11 breaking important things and breaking my computer than I am a patcher for a game...
    Moege, Stymie and Tatanka like this.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The TPM thing is a little overblown / misleading. Most recent systems (within the last 3 years) use PTT (Intel) or fTPM (AMD) which is a TPM module on the CPU/Firmware and not an actual separate hardware chip.

It might require changing some setting in the BIOS/UEFI though which might be beyond some people.

That said, if your current system doesn't have a hardware TPM chip, you can try to get one if your motherboard supports it, or just stick with windows 10 for another 4-5 years (with a non-zero chance they will extend it further, they always do) at which point it should really be time to upgrade your system anyway.
  13. Tyreel Augur

If you get stuck with a version of windows that doesn't support DX9.0c, Windows Subsystem for Linux allows you to run ubuntu(or another distro) and run eq with wine/proton or something similar. Very not ideal but workable.
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Elskidor Augur

That launcher is already on its last leg. It told me I had an error and wouldn't log in and then told me I had an invalid credentials. It's always claiming some weird person is trying to log into my account too. Probably Bristlebane playing pranks and being a jerk but it fixed itself after a while but that was scary. One day it's just going to stop working.
    Leerah and Yinla like this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

16. Svann2 The Magnificent

Cant run win11 anyway.
    6 year old computer and their compatibility app (pc health checker) says:
    The processor isnt supported for windows 11. bla bla bla. Stick with 10.
    minimind likes this.
  17. Khat_Nip Meow

Unless you know for sure then I would take that health checker with a grain of salt right now.
    The app is buggy and requirements could change since W11 is a few months from release.
    (Not saying you should necessarily upgrade anyway, just pointing out that it's too early for anything to be set in stone).
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

My approach with Windows upgrades is, just assume you DON'T need it. The use cases which would go against this approach are practically nil. I just can't imagine what could be in a new version of Windows that would make me go "OMG, I gotta have that!"
    Stymie likes this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You could always upgrade your hardware. :)
  20. Metanis Bad Company

Due to the chip shortages and the Bitcoin miners this is NOT a good time to buy / upgrade a gaming PC. But that will change perhaps a year from now. So stay on 10 with your old hardware and wait for later in 2022 and then do a system upgrade that fully supports 11.
    Ssdar, CrazyLarth and Fenthen like this.