Motivation To Play Clerics

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Karliv, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Crystilla Augur

You know me :) I don't raid at all anymore and am just a solo/group cleric (grouping more with hubby than guildies due to the old stuff we do often).
  2. Bigstomp Augur

I've never had a problem getting a group with my cleric. The problem I run into is "I'm not a merc, just grab stuff - you don't need to panic about single pulling and take 5 minutes just bring em, let the tank get em, and I'll keep the tank up"

Where if the group is that scared and not letting me actually heal, then it's boring and I'll load in my alts and let them merc it up.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Tour Augur

This is where the wonderful world of cleric pulling comes in (especially if you don't tell your group). No LOS needed for heals and a 200+ range gives you quite a field you can pull from and still do your job. Add in a viral reverse DS and/or no LOS needed intervention dmg, and you've got some nice trains to keep you entertained. If your group panics over nothing; give them something that's actually worth panicking over.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

Clerics need to be revamped into partial Paladins. Keep the superior single-target healing, but give them some abilities to offtank. We're in plate armor for a reason, and not just because it was a design decision back in 1997-1998. Give us some lengthy reuse abilities to grab aggro, give us (some more) passthrough heals like Paladins. And FFS update Turn Undead because it's damage output is almost worthless.

I'd love to see Clerics meleeing again and still being able to output their current levels of single, group, and raid-wide healing. Right now we're just raid-mercs with very little, or in some raids any, reason to move or make reasonable micro-level decisions.
    Stephen51 likes this.
  5. KaldaryeRZ Greon's better half

I'd be happy if they restored our ability to cleric swarm dark blues again. Increase the damage on our cleric ward and increase our AA ac. The fights were long but soloing as a cleric was doable and it made the game exciting.
    Zipe likes this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

Clerics are such trash, even on undead mobs. It's just.... gah. We really need a new outlook on what this class is capable of.

Tonight's raid, 44th on the parse despite VoV, glyph, 2x Turn Undead, using a 2h'er with damage+dex augs, etc.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Pano and Axel like this.
  7. Szilent Augur

was lag super duper mega bad? in that 190s battle you only recorded 28 spell casts for yourself.

Divine Avatar was pre-buffed?
  8. Fenthen aka Rath

Yeah, all the stuff was pre-buffed. Of course lag is pretty terrible, but we also kill fast, and I had the highest cast count of the clerics.
    Lag is bad, but it's bad for everyone not just me.
  9. Raccoo Augur

Bifold clicked 3 times in little over 2 minutes, was it lag or were you buff-locked? iirc glyph of destruction gets used up when you're buff-locked, so might've lost that.

All the swarm pets use is bad. Cleric hammers have next to no HP, and get killed with ramp/repo/DS. And the swarm pets will cause more lag. If you're meleeing with lag any spell cast better be worth doing, since you lose some melee/proc dps.
  10. Szilent Augur

Do not disagree with the overall sentiment, of course. Even if substantial improvement is possible, just trying shouldn't have a result that disappoints you.
    gnomeboss likes this.
  11. Chaosflux Augur

Cleric DPS is atrocious and should be boosted massively, I don't think it will happen, but it should given their relative position to other classes and the large increases druids and shamans have gotten. Tho I am not saying it should be equal to druids, it should be in the ballpark of shaman atleast considering how close shamans healing is in effectiveness to clerics.

Though looking at that Zlandi parse id say you seem to be missing some stuff, even doing all that missing stuff isn't going to bridge the gap, the devs really should make some adjustments to the class itself.

Bring back battle cleric playstyle in proper form, and make the effort required for that playstyle worth it.
  12. Elskidor Augur

Personal dps or a bit of swarming again would be nice. I took a cleric to cap a couple of years back just for group progression stuff and they are amazing healers, but nothing but a pain if alone or molo. That stays true to its roots but a bit outdated for live.
  13. p2aa Augur

Shamans are very far in effectiveness compared to clerics when healing tanks in raids.
    Bigstomp and Ninelder like this.
  14. Chaosflux Augur

Not really that far if you are comparing similar methodology

3 reckless + surge spam is pretty close in throughput to 2 remedy 2 intervention or 3 remedy spam. Its not exactly the same, but its far closer than say Druid throughput is.

Cleric pulls ahead when figuring other activateables and abilities not, but that wasn't what I was comparing in that post. I was comparing raw heal throughput and raw dps throughput.

Further the % difference in heals is massively different than the difference between shaman and cleric dps, with the shaman leading by orders of magnitude more than a cleric dps wise. Where as the healing throughput is much closer.
    Wulfhere and Metanis like this.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Would love to see them heavily boost cleric dps, but this has been a problem for most of EQ and is only getting worse as class roles blur from one way mudflation. If you're a cleric in 2021 i really recommend an alt / box that you can use in groups / raids when they don't need the one dimensional healing a cleric provides. If you've been playing a cleric for years and are upset at your DPS, stop hammering in screws, get a screwdriver.

WoW answered this problem back in 2003 with shadowpriests, which i mained for years. Would love to see them release a similar "something" even if it's just a self buff that reduces healing and buffs DPS for a few minutes. You could also just "Increase the damage of BOTH Intravention and Contravention lines by about 500%" and itd be an unequivocal improvement to the game.
  16. Szilent Augur

exists

58695 Vow of Vituperation Rk. III 113 1200 3.5s 1.5s 72m+ n/a Self
    1: Decrease Healing by 25% (v125, Before Crit)
    2: Add Melee Proc: Vituperative Strike III with 200% Rate Mod
    You take a forceful vow that reduces your healing efficacy by 25% for 72 minutes and adds the chance for your melee strikes to trigger Vituperative Strike III, which deals 6630 damage to your target, increases their hatred for you by 3943, and heals you for 12600 hit points every six seconds for 24 seconds.
    [IMG] 58698 Vituperative Strike III 0 0s 1.5s - Lowest Single Hate: 3943
    Recourse: Vituperative Strike Recourse III
    1: Decrease Current HP by 6630
    Deals 6630 damage to your enemies, increases their hatred of you by 3943, and heals you for 12600 hit points every six seconds for up to 24 seconds.
    [IMG] 58701 Vituperative Strike Recourse III 0 0s 1.5s 24s+ n/a Self Hate Mod: +6041
    1: Increase Current HP by 12600 per tick
    Heals you for 12600 hit points every six seconds for 24 seconds. Increases your enemy's hatred for you by 6041 each time it is cast.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Yep. They could buff that immensely (and probably focus on spell damage instead of melee procs) and significantly improve the game for our treasured cleric population. Or any number of things.
    Stymie and Metanis like this.
  18. Heatwave Journeyman

Completely wrong about cleric being inferior to a merc until level 114. A level 102 cleric with just autogrant AA that just spams Ardent Light on the tank and hits group heal when necessary is probably equivalent, and maybe better, than a 115 healer merc.

At level 106, a cleric with just autogrant AA and appropriate group gear and focuses, that just multibinds and spams Merciful Remedy > Spiritual Remedy > Mystical Intervention > Virtuous Intervention > Fervid Renewal on the tank, and hits group heals when appropriate, heals about 200% ... not 100%, but 200% better than a max gear/aa 115 healer merc.

That's not counting casting promised on the puller before they run to pull, any other emergency heal AA, divine arb, radiant cure, etc, that a real player cleric gets that mercs don't.

AA are a thing... and real clerics get WAY more AA to help their heals than mercs. A real cleric's autogrant AA at level 100 is already far superior to a merc's at level 115.

Clerics need a big adjustment to their DPS, that's it. Since they do not get the AA to increase their nukes/DoTs like the other priests get, they need their base damage spells to be on an order of magnitude like 400% higher than the other priests classes. Increase their Intervention, Contravention, and nukes by a TON, and they'd be a much more desirable, and fun to play, class. As well as distinguish the 'good' from the not so good players.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  19. Crystilla Augur

Clerics do get AA's to increase nukes and the turn undead line as well as the 'vention' lines.
  20. Thraine Augur

cleric dps is a joke, the highest parse i ever got on zlandi was around 300k and thats using everything i can think of and just straight up not healing tanks at all .. meanwhile my wife the rogue can break 300k from the kitchen while shes afk getting a drink with autoattack
    Fenthen, Kialya and Metanis like this.