Boxer Hate Discussion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lionari, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

Aradune was the closest you are likely to get to this and its not the most popular server at all.
  2. Green_Mage Augur

Hear that everybody? there's no boxers on Aradune.

Aradune followed the same popularity wave every truebox tlp -- which has boxers -- did. The only difference might be that the free trade server made it more likely to ditch quicker. Especially since they never enforced the boxing rules well. Which, still allow boxing and still saw boxing at every major cash camp etc.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

I never said there was no boxers on Aradune. I said Aradune was the closest (2 box "limit") you were likely to get to a no box server.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Vaeeldar Augur

Aradune was the paradise sever and Riz was going to die due to boxing and yet Riz has a higher pop at this point more consistently. Nobody will ever admit it though but the reality is boxing keeps the game healthier long term.

People don’t want to admit that most of us aren’t in high school anymore. I’m 37 I don’t always have time to deal with the time sync of EQ. in 99 I did. Boxing exists because it solves a major issue and it does create healthier populations long term.

Agnar was the other golden child, remind me again what the server pop is?
    code-zero and Tweakfour17 like this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Most of us here saw it going this way. Aradune is just another TLP of the month. Rizlona is unique. Only the haters had it going the other way.

Disclosure: I don't play on Rizlona.
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  7. Machen New Member

So first off, there are tons of boxers playing on "there own server". Rizlona is one of only two TLP servers that is consistently high population now. 20+ active guilds worth of players raiding content, the vast majority of which are boxers. I guarantee there are more boxers playing on Rizlona than any other TLP.

Second, since there is no "non-boxer" server, there is no reason boxers should be restricted to Rizlona.
    Hdizzle and Tweakfour17 like this.
  8. mikey87 New Member

boxing has goods and bads, its just like anything else. I've grouped with boxers where it felt like they were half afk like somebody above has said, and i've grouped with boxers where I had no issues and was grateful to have the extra effort. It just depends on the person boxing. I think the arguments arise when there are people who are sort of purist ( i guess is the term ) and want to just play a single character in a classic setting like it was in the old days, working together etc; and people who have changed with the times and demand of the game, boxing to fill groups and get items, farming kronos, using discord, that sort of thing. Old ways vs New ways. Both have their own merits. I think i lean more towards the old ways myself, I'd rather not use voice chat at all and i'll say having a shaman box out of the group is cool. When you start boxing 6 or more characters though I start thinking you're a weirdo :p its not a big deal, you're just a weirdo.
  9. Blarghest New Member

Honestly...true box rule sets will be why eq gets shut down, not boxers.
    Hdizzle, code-zero and Lanffear like this.
  10. Malpheroth Elder

This is absolutely true and I would like to point out that all of the content, at least the new content being produced, can be design to accommodate boxing. Offer 6 accounts using the same login information, with the same monthly fee for one as it is for 6. Quality of life improvements like a shared inventory or bank across all accounts. Purchase the expansion on one and get it on all accounts. An in-game ui with mod options for your team. Downloadable plugins straight from the in-game store hand-crafted by the same developers who made the game. Right now the game is designed for a single character. There are plenty of examples of multi-character management that were successful such as icewind dale, baulder’s gate, dragon age, neverwinter nights… the list goes on. Right now it’s just a bunch of cheaters and thieves taking advantage of the way the game was meant to be played. All of this could be changed, but you won’t see me there.
  11. Blarghest New Member

Cheaters and thieves? Lol...I play multiple characters and have never cheated or stolen anything.
    code-zero and Lanffear like this.
  12. Bowdeen Elder

You must be new, so I fixed that for you. Historically, fights have been HARDER with boxes since they can’t/don’t play at the same levels as individuals playing a single character. Is it there in Classic->PoP? Not really, since everything is tank n spank with few exceptions (Emperor in Ssra, Rathe Council for examples). Once you get further into expansions, the group content and raid content becomes more challenging in their mechanics, which makes it harder on boxers.

Don’t presume to speak on behalf of all boxers. I box on Rizlona. I’ve completed all raid content, and have no group content left to do for my main or boxes. I go back weekly and help guildies who aren’t done. I also offer assistance to random people who’ve wiped, offer up rots that I don’t need or heck even assisting in a random Trak kill for someone who asked in General chat. A LOT of the individuals on our server are willing to give you backflags for free to help you get caught up. It's not all this "omgerdz boxerz are skrewing us over!" that you box haters keep spewing.

Plus, nobody is spending $120 a month on programs. At best, $30 a month. A quick google search helps there.

Soo.. you're solution is for them to make a change that makes them significantly less money? Would you please pass whatever you're smoking?

Okay boomer.

Bye Felicia.
    Lanffear likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TLP with Truebox up until DoDh then switched off would in my opinion fare best of all, early on Truebox helps, later on it hinders & leads to faster attrition.
    I'll never play another TLP that has Truebox for the entire duration that's for sure, but I do like it in the pre-GoD era.
  14. Typhus Elder

DBG should offer a service to boxers on these TLPs. To make it fair and transparent, I suggest charging a fee of $29.99 a month to box up to 6 accounts from 1 computer on Truebox servers once you reach the Gates of Discord expansion. This way atleast the legit players who dont use VPNs etc can have a fair chance as all the rest of the non compliant players.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Are you confusing VPN (Virtual Private Network) with VM (Virtual Machine) software?

A VPN makes your connection more secure as it encrypts the data flow from your computer to another, as it uses a connection set up by the VPN company between countries it may also lower your latency if it's shorter than the standard internet route your ISP uses.

A VM allows you to spoof multiple Virtual desktops as if you were running multiple machines

VPN - no suspension/ban
    (but as some games don't like your IP address changing a lot it usually means you need to either use it consistently or not at all)

VMware - as it allows you to get around Truebox can get you a suspension/ban.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  16. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

That's... not entirely true. ;)
    Unless your VPN is utilizing IPSec, you're only getting traffic segregation, like with MPLS or VLAN. A VPN can create a tunnel use private IP addressing and IGP protocol to maintain security (like an unprotected GRE tunnel), without added encryption... but VPN does not necessarily include encryption.

In essence, VPN's merely provide segregated traffic flows within a shared network infrastructure (local, remote, across internet etc..). An IPSec profile needs to be included to add the point to point data encryption.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Sythrak20 Elder

Anyone that's serious about boxing on a true box server will just spend the $500 on micro pcs and stream them to their main comp. If you're already spending 90 bucks a month for a full group its a tiny investment in comparison. Add in broadcast software that masks ip's and you're good to go.

Truebox has always been a placebo to placate these guys that think forcing people to play their way isn't why Aradune is dying faster than Coirnav did in the same era. The more restrictive ruleset the faster the server hemorrhages past PoP. It's long past time to lift truebox rules when the open world competition era is dead on any TLP server.
    code-zero, Elskidor, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Exactly.

Truebox is one of those idealistic visions. It looks good on paper. The intent is sound. There's just no way to enforce it or implement it so that everything lines up.

The concept is 1 player, 1 toon. The reality, as we all know, is definitely not that. Whether it's several PC's + software to make control easier, or some other variant (I just don't feel like going into every alternative).

At the end of the day, Truebox does nothing but "punish" the "average" user and the idea Truebox is never fully realized.
    code-zero and Tweakfour17 like this.
  19. Hdizzle Augur

Truebox was a marketing gimmick spawned from the disgruntled of Ragefire who couldnt compete with Open world mage armies and zerg guilds. Glad its still working Lol.

While truebox servers certainly help keep the lights on, I can't overstate how much more enjoyable it is to play eq north of Luclin and NOT on a truebox server.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. bardybard Augur

What? Truebox "concept" is definitely not "1 player, 1 toon"
    Skuz likes this.