A radical idea

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Batman, Jun 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elskidor Augur

I would be fine with that. I would love to play in a populated TLP Omens through Sectets or Seeds maybe. Anything beyond that I've mostly dabbled in on live but those mid expansions feel pretty low population on TLPs so I end up bowing out.. I'm playing Mischief now and it's fun but, yeah, but I would have been fine if they launched Mischief in LDoN or GoD, even Omens.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Atomos Augur

I prefer to be cultured rather than sheltered.

I asked an angry person who has done nothing but insult the TLP community while doing his best to involve himself in it why he spends so much time doing that instead of playing Live. It was a pretty legit question IMO.

Like I always say, facts over feelings. Sorry if questions or facts hurt someone's feelings, that's the byproduct, never the intention.

From one vitriol to another. o7
  3. Machen New Member

The problem with this is that live players want new zones that are very different from what TLP players want. TLP players want group bosses that are basically tank and spank. They don't want zones with missions, or more complicated things to do than "clear to camp and hold it down." If the devs introduced live like content scaled for level 50 or 60, with scaled down abilities but still the same basic mechanics, most tlp players would hate it.

For that matter, if the current dev team made content aimed at the classic crowd, with tank and spank rares, static respawns, etc, most TLPers would still hate it. Because it still wouldn't be similar enough to what they are used to.
    Ssdar, code-zero, Yinla and 2 others like this.
  4. Triconix Augur

Sorry to disappoint, I wasn't angry. I was mainly chuckling while replying to you. What legitimate questions did you actually ask though? I don't recall anything legitimate other than claim that TLP is the bigger money maker for the game. You cannot admit that if Live players stopped playing years ago, none of us wouldn't even have the chance to play TLP because the game literally would have shut down.

It's great that TLP boosted populations and brought additional income to the company and game. However, you're acting like TLP is the only thing that makes money when it's very obvious it's not the case. During prime time hours it becomes obvious that Live is still more than fine when almost every single one is at "high" population while there's maybe 3-4 TLPs at high/medium and the rest are at Low 24/7.
    Ssdar and Skuz like this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Ehhh I don't know. ToV/CoV was essentially Velious 2.0. Same zones but with upgraded graphics and the obvious living ice lore difference. I don't see why a TLP crowd wouldn't like the static zones. Simply just not have the missions enabled and the "feel" of the new static zones vs older static zones is pretty much the same but with better eye candy.
    Skuz and Yinla like this.
  6. Atomos Augur

1. I'm not just talking about dialogue between the two of us, all of your posts are angry and bitter. I'm not just here looking for e-drama like some people are.
    3. There are MMOs that have gotten little to no new content in YEARS that are still running. And EQ's going to die because it skips a single expansion year? How is that realistic? If anything, THAT is acting like Live is the only thing that makes money. Any reasonable EQ Live player would simply play something else or play TLP during that time and come back later. OR maybe just keep playing EQ Live like all those other MMO players seem to do with their non-existent new content MMOs?
    4. No one said anything about Live players quitting years ago. I'm saying that if today, Live shut down, TLP would remain, with no problems. And if there had been no official version then private servers would exist, they already do.
    5. Never acted like or claimed that TLP is the only thing that makes money.

All I seem to be doing is refuting words you put in my mouth that I didn't actually say. So I'm just going to assume you've been meaning to argue with someone else this whole time, and let you do that instead, since that's clearly what you are going to do regardless of what I say.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

OK, I surrender. Not sure why I engaged.
    Triconix likes this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Touché ;)
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

One of the reasons I didn't like ToV (Phinny) is that the named mobs hit very hard and have a ton of HP. I don't mind one or the other but both is rough. I am ToV T2 group geared and my tank dies on about 40% of the named fights.

The other thing I don't like about ToV is that unless you have a year, you are forced to do the progression. Group XP is horrible. Perhaps a better way to put it is that the XP requirements 110-115 are humongous and "crap XP" is a side effect rather than the cause. The progression missions give x% XP rather than an XP amount. The merc and partisan tasks aren't bad but I struggled with the missions.
  10. Triconix Augur

Both things you say are true, however, those definitely can be modified by devs if they choose. Some minor tweaking would make the TOV/COV static zones feel like any other static zone you would fine in OG Velious, minus the better graphics of course.

And what's wrong with hell levels?! lol. TOV exp did feel a bit nostalgic to me (for the worse). I personally don't like endless grinds of monotonous killing of the same mobs, but some people do. In almost any expansion you'll have different people liking certain things and disliking others. Different stroke for different folks.

I'm blessed with having a pretty static group for expansion releases. We tend to just blow through the main content in a few days and the other secondary content we just gradually do after like hunter, collects, etc. We normally set up our daily mission runs for coins to get the slot 5s done. By the time T3 raids release we are usually completely done with the expansion. Gives us lots of time to do other stuff like playing other games, playing TLP, whatever.
    Ssdar and Yinla like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

From what I have seen so far TLP V Live

Server Merges - both live and TLP have been asking for server mergers, just look at the Ragefire/Coirnav threads, there has also been a thread on the lack of players on Thornblade - I'll call it a draw - Dispite Selo & Phinny reaching live servers and Miragul due to do the same in a few months.

Completing expansions in 1 - 2 weeks, looking at Mischief players to got level 50 and all bosses down in the same time frame. - again a draw. CoV was a smaller expansion that we were used to but losing Prathun was a huge loss, and Covid19 didn't help with everyone working from home, I think we were lucky to get anything. ToV took a lot longer to complete as did TBL especially with the evolving items and TS quests.

Graphics - New classic models were created years ago, unfortunalty with the introduction of some of the later TLP servers, the decision was reversed, so we are now stuck with the aweful black dogs again among others! - TLP servers won the request for nostalga at the cost of better graphics, so I wouldn't hold my breath for getting updated graphics for TLPs.

Looking at patch notes both live and TLPs are being catered for, so money is being split between the 2. If it wasn't TLPs would never get a new server and the updates they do get.

Pretty sure it was in a Prathun interview that it was stated they try to have a hands off approach to EQ TLPs and change as little as possible to try and keep the classic feel. Unlike EQ2 where they revamped most of the gear. (Got a feeling it was in the Lovingrobot twitch interview). They have done TLP improvements for bottlenecks but nothing major and also changed a few spells to the anger of those on live. :rolleyes:

There is fores and against for adding new things to TLP but from what I have seen the majority want nostalgia NOT new content. Many get upset about the few QoL updates that TLPs do recieve, origin, extended target window, agro meter, etc.

Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There are MMO's out there that put out new content and then still died. How is EQ doing it? Oh yeah, it's a totally different game with it's own dynamics and income streams. You are making an un-comparable comparison.

Well it's based on where EQ gets its money. It turns out that if they get money from something, and then stop doing that, they don't get money from it anymore. Expansions are just as important as 40-slot 100% weight reduction bags. There probably aren't a lot of customers that buy both, but there are lots of customers that buy one or the other. The need the income from both.

You must be new here, I can barely stop laughing. You know how much TLP players hate Live? Live players hate TLP's just as much. Yes, we few exist who like both, but we are rare. Also, when you said "reasonable" and "EQ (Live) player" in the same sentence it was pretty funny. The whole "come back later" thing doesn't sound very profitable in the short term. And at the very least it's not guaranteed they will come back. Why not try to keep them, and avoid the risk?

You know that thread you linked about CoV? Might want to check it again. Not all Live players are at the cutting edge, but many are. They will walk without a new expansion. Raiders especially, and they are the hardcore ones that sub a lot and buy expansions consistently.

It's cool that you had an idea, but part of it was just plain bad. Maybe focus on the good parts and stop trying to lop off DPG's revenue streams on a whim.
    Ssdar and Skuz like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hell-levels on a TLP are just stupid given the far faster unlock schedule & no extra XP bonus was added for 12/8 servers only selo that had 1 month unlock schedule.

TLP also have to contend with spell/ability & gear creation prices designed for the platinum swollen live servers not plat-poor TLP ones with on average less than a quarter of the time to farm up plat each expansion cycle.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I don't like it, but as a non-raider that's how I get my gear so I grind away.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

I nearly drained my bank account buying components for ToV gear. I think it's something like 240k per set.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I don’t feel that “Hell” Levels work for the type of expansions EQ releases. Any level increase is about regaining the relative power that you held at the lower levels, example AAs not benefiting new level range spells. Also, the content of the game shifted dramatically from leveling is the game to revolving around end game activities.

“Hell” levels can work on the original launch of a game, but as it ages the game focus shifts.
  17. Atomos Augur

Not even remotely true. Prove it.

It's perfectly comparable. Those MMOs that are dead either had terrible gameplay, or didn't utilize whales enough. You give me the name of any MMO that has shut down and I can pretty quickly and easily tell you why it was shut down.

List of still running MMOs that barely get any updates or no updates at all is long, but here's a few: Ultima Online(1997), Dark Age of Camelot(2001), Final Fantasy XI(2002), Dungeons and Dragons Online(2006), Lineage 2(2003), Everquest 2(2004), EVE Online(2003), Lord of the Rings Online(2007), Anarchy Online(2001), Aion(2008), RuneScape(2001). These are only older MMOs, the latest one there is Aion in 2008. I consider EQ1 to be on this list as well. Obviously not a complete list.

Once again, people are acting like skipping 1 expansion means expansions are never going to come out again. Who knows, maybe it wouldn't even need to be skipped, just delayed. You're also acting like the upgrades that could come from skipping an expansion wouldn't also benefit the Live community, which is just as much the point of it.

I think Live and TLP players hating each other is pretty lame and childish. That's fine if you people enjoy acting like that, I'm not getting involved with it.

This isn't my thread, I am not the OP, I would never say something as silly as "stop making new EQ expansions." Delay one up to a year? Sure.

Let me put it like this.

FFXIV 1.0 was a pretty hard bomb, in far too many ways. Square-Enix shut the servers down, sat down and remade the game from semi-scratch (new engine, kept the graphics and the cities but completely remade the world, UI, systems, mechanics and combat and also made 99% of the dungeons, there were only like 2 in 1.0), and then later relaunched the game as 2.0, FFXIV A Realm Reborn in 2013.

It is now the first MMO in 17 years to dethrone long standing MMO king World of Warcraft. Nothing else has even come remotely close.

To me, it's a pretty inspirational story.

So when you tell me that these veterans can't - or the way you are putting it, won't - wait for a delayed expansion so that the game can be made better for everyone, to me that's pretty sad and says a lot about what you think about the community and their loyalty.

Think I'll choose to stay inspired instead.

And just so I know I'll have to say it for someone out there: I am not comparing EQ to FFXIV or DBG to Square-Enix, I'm aware these are 2 different games from 2 different companies with 2 different monetary values, which is why I'm not suggesting an A Realm Reborn situation for EQ (even though that would be amazing to see). It's just an inspirational story about how change can be for the better when the developers and the community care enough.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

You keep saying this, have you searched this forum at all? People here get angry about literally everything.

Lame and childish sums it up nicely.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't understand why you consider EQ1 to be on that list? We get updates every month and expansions every year! :confused:
  20. Atomos Augur

People also exaggerate and use phrases like "everyone thinks X." I already compared TLP and P99 populations above, it's like comparing WoW to EQ. I mean Jesus P99 is free and people would still rather (gladly) pay money to play with QoL features instead.

There's certainly some (seemingly) angry people around here, but there's not that many. Besides, you can say that about any forum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.