Fixed Internally Overseer recovery quest recovered wrong agent

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by OlavSkullcrusher, Jun 17, 2021.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I just claimed the reward for a Rare Missing Recovery quest in overseer. It recovered Elder Fire Drake, which is an Uncommon agent, even though I had two Rare agents that are Missing.

If the 'recover agent' reward isn't going to accurately reflect the type of recovery quest you had completed, then they should just make all recovery quests the same, rather than have them take different amounts of time and target agents of different rarity and so on. The logic of the Missing Recovery quest taking 12 hours was that Missing agents are incapacitated for a long time. And the recovery quests for agents of higher rarity require higher level agents and will cost more to finish early, as well. So none of that makes any sense if it won't actually recover agents in preference to how the quest is set up. I'd be fine if a Rare Missing Recovery quest recovered an uncommon agent that had some shorter-duration incapacity if there weren't any Rare Missing agents, but that wasn't the case here.

Generally speaking, even aside from the missing quest bug, there are still a lot of outstanding Overseer issues that have been known for a year. Any progress on these at all?
    Barton, cadres, Mukkul and 7 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Most of the time I get recovery quests the agents who could be recovered are not recoverable by the type offered or would be recovered in less time that the recovery mission's duration anyway.

I put it down to the fact overseer was a rushed out mess & the team have not had enough time to do it properly.
  3. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

It was pretty obviously a rushed mess, but I disagree that there has not been enough time to properly fix it. It's been over a year since it was added to the game. The issue would be how much of a priority they put on fixing its problems, with it being a matter of how much of a person's time they schedule for fixing overseer versus having them work on other things. If they don't have anyone actually working on fixing these kinds of issues with overseer right now, then I don't have much confidence that they ever will, as there will always be something to deal with in newer content.
    Velisaris_MS and Nennius like this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This just happened now. Bertoxx server:

[IMG]

[IMG]

As shown in the first image, it is offering me a Captured Recovery for a Rare agent.

However, in the second image, you can see that I have no captured rare agents. I do have one blacklisted and one wounded rare agent. But none captured.
  5. cadres Augur

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the genre of recovery quests offered and any agents you may have currently incapacitated
    (several times, I thought there might be, then there would be a run where there clearly wasn't).

I find the 'wrong' agent is often recovered. It *seems* (I haven't tested this), to go 'up' the list and recover the lower classes first, regardless of the level of the quest. But sometimes it doesn't do that and does recover the more senior agent one actually needs - all a bit random

I keep a stash of recover quests on various toons ready to use when there's an opportunity to do a really good quest.
  6. Thunderkiks Augur

It's kind of maddening when you have an elite recovery and it recovers a common agent. Happend to my poor wizard this morning :(
    Mukkul likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm just curious...why do people even bother doing recovery quests?

I can understand if you're doing them just to max out the Recovery experience category...I get that. But, once that is maxxed out, what's the point of doing them?

I primarily use Overseer for collectibles, tradeskill items, and merc xp. No matter how many agents I have incapacitated at any given time, I still have more than enough to start 5 tasks with at least a 75% success chance...and I can't remember the last time a task failed.

So, I have to ask again...what's the point of doing them?
    Moege likes this.
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I don't do them very often any more, but once I get 10 or more agents incapacitated, I might throw one in there just because. One reason to recover elite agents is that the first 3 job slots of elite quests will require elite agents. So you can miss out on the chance to do an elite diplomacy quest if you don't have the right elite agents available. (Elite Trade/Diplomacy/Exploration quests give an extra fragment.)

Of course, in another problem that I've posted about, the elite recovery quests have the first couple of job slots that require rank 3 in that job, but the bonuses could only be satisfied by common agents that are only rank 2. That should still be fixed, but it isn't detrimental since you can still find agents to use that will still give you 80% or so chance of success, which is plenty.
    Wyre Wintermute and cadres like this.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is one of those bugs that I don't really care if it gets fixed or not. I just saw it and reported it.

I report every bug I find that I have the energy to do so. I leave it up to Darkpaw to decide which ones are worth their time.

Believe me, if I could pick which bugs were prioritized, I would be very happy. This would not be one of them.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

Fair enough. :)
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

You sure about two fragments on a normal success and not a crit?

I'll be honest and say that I completely zone out when doing Overseer on my three accounts. At this point, I pretty much run on auto-pilot when setting up the tasks, never looking at the rewards, and not even looking at agents...just clicking on the first one that's listed for each slot, and then clicking the "start" button. Same with collecting the rewards. I just make sure I choose that last reward option (the fragments) and don't even bother looking at anything else.
  12. niente Developer

Overseer Recovery has some usability issues, there's some things we would like to do to improve recovery, but no ETA at this time.

Recovery quests are rolled at the same time as your other quests, so if you have an incapacitated agent at that time, and they are naturally recovered by the time you decide to start a quest, you may sometimes have a recovery quest for an agent that doesn't make sense. i.e. An agent was captured, then recovered, but you still have the Captured Recovery quest in your offered quest list.

The quest reward recovering the wrong agent in the original post is definitely a bug.

My memory might be failing me, but I think recovery quests were changed at one point to always recover something, even if that specific agent or incapacitation type is not available. Still, if you have the right rarity/agent/incapacitation type, the quest reward should prioritize that.

When Overseer launched, recovery quests were never rolled naturally so they weren't tested and it took a while before some of the bugs were caught and fixed.

Apologies for the issues with Overseer - the quests disappearing bug in particular has been very difficult to fix.
    Skuz and Thunderkiks like this.
  13. Zipe The Healer

Hello,
    I would like to add that Recovery quests can "crit" bonus Agents...I always do them regardless because I know that if I get a bonus agent it won't be for nothing.
  14. Fenthen aka Rath

I should be able to use an agent if I have 7 copies of it, whether 1 is captured or not. What's the point in having duplicates of the uniques?
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

If by "uniques", you mean the "Iconic" agents,there is no point in having more than one of them. That's what you use for your conversion quests. You get rid of the extras and get a higher level one.
  16. Ninelder Augur

I think they should add some sort of trade in or stat to the NPCs that if you have 10 copies of an agent you get a plus 1 to whatever that agent does, 20 copies a plus 2 etc. Would make the whole multiple agents thing a part of the game.

That being said, I still think they should trash this and bring LoN back. It was my favourite thing to do on patch days.
    Fenthen likes this.
  17. Fenthen aka Rath

You cannot squash the purple ones, which is where I find the most conflicts.
  18. Ninelder Augur

You retire them and get two lower agents, on the agents tab.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. cadres Augur

Just tried to recover Mayong who was 'discredited'
    I had recover quests saved on several toons
    I managed to 'recover' Cursed Remnant an astonishing 5 times
    Mayong, however, remains discredited
    (and yes, I only do pink and occasionally blue recover quests, so these would have been the correct level in most/all instances)
    There was only one discredited Cursed Remnant - how can he be recovered 5x ?!
    Skuz likes this.
  20. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the acknowledgement of the issues. (I want to point to this other issue I've posted here, just as a reminder - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...d-job-requirements-wrong.269254/#post-3951277)

The main thing with incapacity, in my point of view, isn't a bug, though, but a question of design. I feel that the chances of incapacity increase too much with the increase in quest level compared to some of the rewards. Overseer currency and experience scale up reasonably well with increasing quest level, but the collection fragments don't. A level 1 Trade quest gives the same single fragment as a level 5 Trade quest, yet the chances that agents get incapacitated is far, far higher at level 5. You will have a lot more agents by then, so that somewhat balances it out, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to set it up that way.

Another issue, possibly unintended but not a bug, per se, is merc AA experience. When you choose character experience, you get some merc AA along with that (if your mercenary is not suspended or dead). But the amount seems to be based on your character level. I think that this is because the character experience is a fixed %, so the number of experience points you get will depend on your level, and that must also affect how many merc AA experience points you get as well. So, a level 85 player gets 1% xp, which the game translates into a number of experience points based on that character being level 85 and then assigns a number of mercenary AA experience points along with that. But a level 115 character needs a huge amount of experience more to get 1% of a level, so the overseer reward is a lot more experience points, and the mercenary AA experience point grant is correspondingly higher. It actually works out that for the highest level characters, choosing merc AA experience over character experience would be kind of pointless.

I don't know, that's my guess, anyway. I think that merc AA experience is way too slow until you get to 110+ generally, aside from overseer, but that is just my opinion.
    Skuz likes this.