SKs, what is your sustained dps?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Parmalice, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Only reasons I keep Terror memmed at this point are because it's instant cast, and it's pretty much always off cooldown since I only use it for tagging. So when I need to quickly target something and tag it with some agro, I don't have to think about what's not on cooldown at the moment. Protest could probably fill the same role, but my playstyle tends to lean more towards "only kill what needs to die" and agro DoTing random mobs goes against that. :p
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Yeh theres a slight difference in playstyle, I am more a pull everything and its cousins and let's burn it type lol I have no chill, and I don't really like invising lol
    Marton and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Maybe my search-fu is really bad, but could you talk more about Stalwart Stance? I searched at ZAM and Raidloot, and can't find anything called that, so I'm curious as to what I'm missing.

Thanks!
  4. Szilent Augur

current:

58783 Stormwall Stance Rk. III 114 1182 3s 2.5m 2.5m+ n/a Self
    8: Increase Max HP by 36996 (Decaying to 14220 @ 949/tick)
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. p2aa Augur

Unlike terror, protest doesn't have hate override. It's not a good spell to use as first spell to tag a mob with the limited hate cap, better keep starting with a terror.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  6. Syylke_EMarr Augur

That's also true.

I also just simply couldn't settle on any spell that I'd replace it with that I would use often enough for it to make sense.
  7. Parmalice Journeyman

Bah! I was having a "senior moment" yesterday. It's Stormwall Stance, our highest-level version of our temporary HP buff. It adds a large amount of HP and such, but it lasts like 8 or 9 minutes and has a couple minute cooldown timer, so you can't just easily swap the spell back in when it starts to fade. You pretty much have to decide whether you're going to use it or not. For group stuff I don't uses it anymore, but when I'm tanking raid adds I do. Chopping Stormwall Stance from my usual group lineup was how I got my 5th DOT in there.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  8. Chaosflux Augur

Initial doesn't matter to protest it acts as if it has an override regardless of how its "supposed" to work. Its perfectly fine to tag with, Valiant works same way, it ignores initial aggro cap even without an override.

I tested that and verified it afew times, alot of things ignore it now and I am not sure if its a bug or a feature. Every pal nuke also acts as if it has an override, same with sk Spear etc

I can can tag all day with Brilliant, Honor, Valiant, whatever and it doesn't matter, I suspect it has something to do with Bold attacks, but I didn't care enough to narrow it down further.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Got it, thanks for clarifying :)

I use it all the time, except not from the SK, I have a druid in my box group, and use his. I think it's not quite as many HPs as the SK version, but I have the gems to spare on the druid.

And I have nothing near the gear you do, so I have it up constantly. WITH the buff, the SK comes in around 280k HP, which I believe is about 100-140k below where most of cool kids are.
  10. Tucoh Augur

Just checked my DPS on my SK. Hit 1 million sustained while soloing Aaryoner. Don't let the devs know that SKs are way overpowered and can fill DPS roles while tanking, they might decide to bring SKs back to where other classes are balanced.

Also, warrior's auto attack is totally weak and just doesn't scale enough with ADPS buffs.
  11. Parmalice Journeyman

I hate to break it to you but that's like 300k+ HP below where most of the cool kids are. This is at level 115. I'm typically between 550-565k HP with Stormwall Stance up, my tribute/trophies up, and typical buffs I have during raids. There are combinations of auras and such that depend on which group I'm in during the raid, in combination with guild trib/trophies when they're active that have pushed me over 600k before, but very rarely. Others, far "cooler" than I, regularly exceed 600k, even without raid buffs or special aura combinations. I have no idea what the max HP is that any SK on any server can achieve, but it's much, much higher than I can do at present.

I've got plenty of headroom, so this will increase steadily in coming weeks and months. For one, I'm only halfway through the Heroic AAs, so I've been going and doing older content to get those done. That'll add a nice chunk. I'm also very close to completing the whole Artisan's Prize quest ordeal, which will add a couple k HP, awesome AC and other stats. Only around half my gear is CoV raid level (combination of dropped and crafted), with the rest composed of ToV raid crafted with I think one ToV raid dropped piece left. When those are all up to CoV standards that'll be another 1 or 2k per piece. I'll see some more when I complete the final (raid) version of the Rallos Zek earring. That'll come in the next few days, as I'm at like 61% into bloodying the final group version, have all the ToV raids and that raid drop, etc. These improvements listed above would easily see me over 600k HP regularly, without needing guild trib/trophy or special combinations of group auras and such.

I used Stormwall Stance religiously as I was AAing up and improving my gear. I needed it. I remember crossing thresholds where I didn't need Stormwall Stance anymore and could free up that spell slot, and again when I could easily tank almost anything but the very hardest stuff (some CoV group mission stuff for the harder achievements and most raid adds) with my 2HS weapon. I've heard of SKs who tank literally everything, including all the raid adds, with their 2HS. It's something I aspire too.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks. I was just going by what I see on people's Magelo banners here on the forums. Highest I've seen is ~425k, but that's probably raw, before buffs.

I'm perpetually way behind the times in this game, but it doesn't bother me, because I'm usually fighting in content where I'm past whatever stats people had when it was current. I don't care, as long as I'm having fun, it's worth the ~$1.50/day I pay to play EQ ;)

And the last time I had any raid gear was when PoP was current, and the items I actually had were from the original Planes, LOL!
  13. aozs Augur

280k is snowbound/GMM levels, that's around where my knight tanks are buffed when reaching level 114 (I usually don't check until 114 since that's when I try Icebound Avatar) - missing AAs, minimal achs, half empty aug slots. Definitely plenty of room to grow

Full CoV t3 group gear w/ relevant AAs should get you to around 420-430k I'm guessing. Gotta say, the game changes a LOT when you get geared up, Kael is a scary place when a single giant can (and regularly does) take off 80pct of your hp in one round.
  14. Chaosflux Augur

Oof I've got 325k buffed at 110 in raid gear

And yeh stance is such a spell slot drain, we usually have shamans cast that, because they already have it memmed (on raids) for warriors, so they just keep it on knights too so we can free up a spell for extra dps/heals/whatever. It only takes 1 having it memmed to keep it on all tanks.

Druids could also keep it up, but they do way to much dps to sacrifice a slot to a poor recast buff like that.
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

I am grouper only and max AA and decent augs. with buffs and trib I am running 462,000 HP. Oh and that is total tier 3 player made gear. Just as a point of reference. Oh and I always use my hp self buff recast it every 8 mins.

As a boxer tbh I have never bothered memming a terror. Its a waste of my spell gems. If its needed ill use one of the AA hate spells, but it rarely if ever is. I know that is sacrilege to a lot of sk but in my world I have not found it needed.

Sk is my first and always played toon.
    Kroolhand78 likes this.
  16. Parmalice Journeyman

I keep one Terror spell up, and cast it religiously on cooldown. I even cast it on cooldown during fights where I'm unambiguously and irrevocably already on top of the hate list. I do this because of the Cascading Theft of Defense and Cascading Theft of Life AAs. The Defense version of that AA casts a rune-type buff on you 22% of the time a Terror spell is cast, and the Life version has a 1 in 6 chance of casting a 15k heal on the whole group anytime an instant-duration spell is cast (which includes the Terror line).
  17. Petalonyx Augur

This is a timely discussion for me. I'm in the same boat as Flatchy, being group geared and feeling good without a terror. The spell line certainly isnt needed for aggro.

Ive also seen the enormous benefit of the Theft of Defense AA that is triggered by casting terror (at least on paper). I'm trying to make room on my bar for a terror, but it is tough! I may not cast the terror that often during fights, but I do intend to cast it out of combat to get the proc rune. As a boxer, Id prob anot use it during combat over LT spam, bite, bond, buff refresh. It's like a tier 8 cast choice.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  18. Chaosflux Augur

Do you actually need the 90k recourse? Casting on recast does sacrifice DPS cast opportunities which will invariably lower your dps, where just being more aggressive with lifetaps generally will make up the difference, since your average lifetap will have anaverage heal around 70k in a 0 overhealing environment.

Purely engaging this from a maxing dps while tanking standpoint, obviously its useful and impactful in an environment where the tanking requirements are relatively heavy.

Like as an example thats sort of parallel for me, I have a spell that casts a 15% SPA162 that also heals me (its the 2nd weakest TOT heal i have) in situations where I am maximizing dps ill generally avoid casting it because it eats a cast opportunity for a more dps centric spell. In its place ill cast the Paladin equivalent of a lifetap (nukes my target/heals targets target), and soak the extra damage taken via more proactive direct healing, and tactical use of Thwart (as opposed to just spamming it)

Lifetaps will also fire the Cascading theft of life recourse at a similar % proc rate, and are crazy good for short fights (typical group encounter) because they have frontloaded dps, produce a not insignificant amount of aggro, and heal you.
  19. Chaosflux Augur

If we cross section a single minute

You can cast 10 terrors in a minute
    2 of those will prevent 90k damage since its 20% proc

You could sub Dire 3 times and 7 touches for those cast opportunities
    Dealing significantly larger amount of damage (since terror does none)

And proactively heal significantly more than 180k, damage prevention > healed except when healing exceeds it to such an order of magnitude and when damage taken doesn't immediately endanger you. So if you are in the type of content one usually has a 2hander out for, the threat of death is low enough, you can generally lean on your stronk self healing and take more damage and still end up in a better spot.

Edit: also in a scenario like that you are also probably pulling several which force procs your Skin line since its procrate is set off single mob tanking as the standard for its 8ppm, which will carry alot of the heavy weight as far as damage prevention goes.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Which one were you soloing? Just curious.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=Aaryonar#Mobs
    Tucoh likes this.