We need our own unique Pick Zones already.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dlovin2, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Captain Video Augur

This has yet to be determined. The servers are three weeks old and still in Classic. Let's see where we are when they get to PoP.

This statement is 100% wrong. The resource limit on the servers isn't how many player commands are being executed, it's how much server memory is consumed by each separate copy of a zone and all its contents. The memory amounts per zone are hard-coded. There is no dynamic adjustment of memory use; the server code logic was designed LONG before cloud technology came into being. DZs aren't actually copies of the original zone, they're stripped down variants that can be launched using a lot less memory, since mobs not part of the specific raid or quest task aren't included, and the ones that are included don't respawn. While you could theoretically rebuild the entire game from scratch using all DZs, that would involve tens of thousands of development hours, and that won't happen. An entirely new game (EQ3) could be undertaken for that scale of labor investment.
  2. Xerzist Augur

Lol why don't you just download the game and play by yourself.

All I hear from boxers is: I want the easiest solutions to all my problems, and I deserve all the pixels and shouldn't have to put in any work.
  3. Bullsnooze Augur

Anything can be done when you're talking about a developed feature. Moreover, the technology is there in the form of LDoN. The real question has always been is it worth it from a fiscal standpoint.

Obviously, someone looking to make a living with krono would be against such availability of zones and loot.
    Obviously, someone looking to just play the game would be for personal instances, etc.

That said, why not just open LDoN from the start of a TLP, disable LDoN currancy, and update the loot tables so that they are in line with the expansion?
    Demetri likes this.
  4. YouDaGoob Lorekeeper

5. 6BoxerOnCoirnav Lorekeeper

These threads bring me so much joy. I love that people claim LGuk is always full when live side is completely spawned XD

We should get our own private servers! And also, ability to spawn in rares! Also, would be nice, as a paying MONTHLY CUSTOMER, to be able to spawn in my own weapons and set my level and stats, too. Also, need to make sure no one can box or get anything better than me. I do have between 2 to 4 hours to play a week and would like to solo the raid bosses, only in open world. I want to hold the title of being the supreme leader of norrath as well.
  6. Demetri Augur

Yea, there's something to be said of camp respect - the number of times people trained through my camp last night (Hole sword camp) is frankly absurd. Sure, with the camp layout and our choice in where to set up we dodged MOST cases, but not all - and with excellent CC and a rezzer any issues from it were mended - but still really irritating that people due to the congestion and such can't even be bothered to warn so I could hold pulls a sec, or take a moment to pull most of the offending mobs/etc.

It's as much of a problem of congestion as it is about communication and respect though.

Personally though, rather than retooling the whole system (with the inherent problems that causes) - I'd just suggest that they lower pick threshold by 1-2 groups for "problem zones" - and possibly add some coding in that ignores XP inappropriate levels in helping spawn picks (i.e. you can't use a L50 or a L1 to help spawn a 20-35 SolA pick - lower is suicidal, higher is 100% grey) to limit the benefits to farmers poaching lower level content that could be used to XP, not sure how frequent it happens elsewhere, but it's plain as day at the SolA gnome fort there's literally L50 mages and necros just waiting for a pick to manifest and charge over there to occupy it within seconds of a new spawn.
  7. SoandsoForumUser Augur

That's not really true, DZs tend to be full mob spawns hence why you can just grab Karnor's over and over until you find your pipe mob up for monk epic etc. It's also why AoC agents put you at the boss basically for naggy/vox/phinny. The trash is all up and alive behind you.
    Demetri likes this.
  8. dlovin2 New Member

I appreciate the technical response
  9. Demetri Augur

Yep, I've suggested something similar in the past (although probably the "easier" method" would probably be just a new set of one of the themes with an early xpac variant - rather than having to create new loot tables and a switch that toggles + the weirdness of precrediting the aug, etc - just make all the level range variants like LDoN had, associate with the general mischief table for rares, done deal - or even just ignore rares entirely TBH) - at the end of the day people will be content as long as they're able to progress in a general sense, they don't care if they can camp X/Y/Z specific item daily (and for those that do the ruleset already helps a ton with that) - but simply making appreciable XP consistently on the other hand is something that most people demand from their EQ time, until capped.

And classic gets super congested at some ranges for that even with picks.
  10. Nolrog Augur

I don't see why I have to be in a world with other people. I should just have my own server to log into so I can avoid everyone and have everything to myself. Any cutting age MMO would cater to this need.

(note, sarcasm)
    Skuz likes this.
  11. ZzznakeDoctur Journeyman

That results in one, maybe two, picks PER GUILD. Allowing pickzones for GROUPS would result in many many times the number of instances being created and all the additional processing that would require
  12. Captain Video Augur

There are certain cases where the total resource requirements are small enough to not bother editing things out, but the basic principle remains: The game only guarantees the DZ will provide the resources needed to complete the event, as opposed to a complete copy of the original zone. If server resources are taxed further, those existing examples you mentioned could shrink. These same resource issues are why some bosses who don't currently have AoCs will never get them, despite player requests. Mobs needed for epic quests are kind of a special case which the devs have accommodated, where possible, i think for obvious reasons.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There is a certain irony in a congested TLP server, after enough expansions go by you will start to wish it was congested again only by then you're not able to fill a raid team and that's even with boxes included.

Enjoy it while it lasts imho.
  14. ZzznakeDoctur Journeyman

It's completely different. It's not the number of players at issue but the number of instances themselves. Ten, six-player instances means the server having to perform calculations for all the mobs in each instance, itemize them etc etc
  15. ZzznakeDoctur Journeyman

It's a problem that EQ (and MMOs in general) have always had. The accelerated rate of the TLPs just makes appear worse because it all happens so much faster. Less than a year later and basically all the old-world leveling zones will be empty (90% any noobs/alts that ARE leveling will be in Paludal Caverns, DSP, Grieg's Etc)

HOWEVER I also think the situation may be at least marginally better on Mischief/Thornblade due to the FV loot rules. People will be able to equip their alts with things like NTOV gear which will make leveling quite a bit faster and (hopefully) encourage a larger population of alts.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Corydon Augur

mmo much?
  17. Kylo Classic Augur

How many people think LDON was a great expansion?
  18. Healiez Augur

Even Raid DZ's start to effect server performance.

Have you ever raided on a busy server on a Sunday/Monday night (two of the more popular raid nights).

chat channels usually start lagging/crashing
    /tell becomes useless
    /pause 50 becomes /pause 80

Among other things.
  19. Discord Ocean of Tears Conservationist

Completely agreed. We should have DZ instances of raids with "Looking for Raid" status as well, where there's no DT's or AE's at all but still drop the same loot on it's own lockout timer. Please Darkpaw. I'm 36 now and want this game to fundamentally change just for me.
  20. SleezerGeezer Elder

This is correct. Boxers will always fanatically defend the status quo.